Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

  • Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here


      Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

      Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

      Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Disbelief - mille lacs walleyes - harvest decisions

Recommended Posts

monstermoose78
7 hours ago, gimruis said:

Just because you can't or don't harvest them doesn't mean they aren't worth targeting.  Bass and musky anglers pursue their target species because they enjoy it, not because they want to harvest them.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Like it or not, that is the trend in today's modern fishing world.  Over harvest of our fish populations is exactly what has led to the decline of those species.  People need to get over the idea of targeting fish solely for the sake of keeping them (aka the meat hunters).

I see your point on the perch, and I agree.  They represent the food that a lot of fish in that lake like to eat and when they are not present in sustainable numbers, there are too many mouths to feed.

I release most of the fish I catch but I am a believer of keeping a big fish for the wall. Most musky and bass guys release them all anyways, so why not let someone keep what they think is a trophy fish. If you think I am a meat hunter you have not read many of the posts I have posted.

The bottom line is Mille Lacs messed up from to many big fish. Yes the fishing is amazing at this time, but the lake is out of whack. I keep fish about one out of ten trips and that’s to give my grandma some fresh fish. 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grundy

I would like to post my opinion on Mille Lacs but nobody would like it so I will keep my mouth shut!! What about the fish net with all the dead walleyes in it? Yeah right!! Now you know what I'm talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sculpin

The vast majority of people that fish do so to harvest a few fish. I think for the most part the days of the meat hunter, and freezer fillers  are gone. Very few people take the time and expense to arrange a trip, and then release all their fish,  Bass fishermen aside. However, if a bass tasted like a perch, or a walleye, or a crappie, they'd ALL be gone. 

The thing to be most concerned about is recruitment of young people to fish and hunt. I saw a news announcement from the DNR the other day stating fishing license sales are down 40,000 YOY. That's a huge number, and it's only going to get worse.  In addition, the average age of a fishing license buyer is getting pretty old. Same as deer hunting, duck hunting, and most other shooting sports.

Once politicians see the decline in the revenue,  and the voting block diminished, the more difficult it will become fund the DNR. That's why there is so much political apathy about things like Mille Lacs lake, metro politico's don't have a clue, don't care, and won't care. The liberal block doesn't care, won't ever care, nor would they go in their pocket to help.

Sorry for the rant, but it's the tip of a huge iceberg. Mille Lacs is the canary in the coal mine, more is on the way, take it to the bank.   

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PRO-V
2 hours ago, grundy said:

I would like to post my opinion on Mille Lacs but nobody would like it so I will keep my mouth shut!! What about the fish net with all the dead walleyes in it? Yeah right!! Now you know what I'm talking about.

Agreed. I think it's also crazy that the current tribe killed the largest Souix village there was, drove them almost completely out of Minnesota and built a casino near the site. Now it's claimed we took their ancestoral ground and resources. Maybe they should pack up and move back to Canada and Wisconsin and let the Sioux have their land back. I'm so tired of this crap I could scream.

Edited by PRO-V
  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ANYFISH2

If you think netting is the reason for the decline in walleyes or the reason for poor managment, we can discuss that.  They certainly are a factor in all of this.

Make sure sure to keep the discussion about the nets, and policy, please don't turn it into a racial discussion!

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PRO-V
30 minutes ago, ANYFISH2 said:

If you think netting is the reason for the decline in walleyes or the reason for poor managment, we can discuss that.  They certainly are a factor in all of this.

Make sure sure to keep the discussion about the nets, and policy, please don't turn it into a racial discussion!

Was not turning it into a racial discussion. I just feel we should all be equal in all things as fellow countryman. If groups get to pick and choose when they have the equal rights and when they have extra or special rights then we are not all really treated equally are we? I have always respected people of different races and expect the same in return.

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ANYFISH2

Sorry Pro-v, did not try to insinuate that you did.  

Just felt like the thread could go the wrong way.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PRO-V

I hear ya. I view this as a political issue not a racial issue. I just feel that until all U.S. citizens are treated the same we will not have true equality.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
delcecchi
On 7/7/2018 at 4:06 PM, Sculpin said:

.Vermilion is a prime example, I think their allowable harvest is something like 65,000. Hooking mortality alone would wipe that out..

They do take hooking mortality into consideration on Vermilion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sculpin

Interesting...What was hooking mortality in 2017, and what is it thus far in 2018 ?

I just spent two weeks on Vermilion, and I did see a number of floaters on the east end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walros

I am no fish biologist but I look at what North Dakota does with their stocking as well as our fishery stocking and notice one difference that may have an impact on our lakes.  When North Dakota stocks a lake with prime predator fish (walleye, northern, bass, etc.) they also stock bait fish (minnows, perch, etc.), this may be something that would help the stocked fish have a greater chance of survival short and long term. So my question is, why don't our state biologists do the same? I would like to think that having a abundance of food would make the predator fish stocking more likely to be successful.

 

Okay, I am interested in hearing some of the biologists responses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tfin

So Gimruis has a problem with meat hunters on the lake.  Then he should be promoting the use of cameras instead of guns when out hunting birds or animals.  If you want to fish for sport and look down on those that fish for food then go get a hand held fishing game and sit on the shore.  Believing something is the truth doesn't mean that it is.  You can say the lake isn't mismanaged all you want and that the surveys work because the people using them have advanced degrees.  I work for people in construction that have degrees but don't know crap about what actually happens on a construction site.  The worst thing to happen to electricians is schools putting out project management courses.  Now instead of people with practical knowledge running jobs we have people schooled in theory with big ideas and egos to match.  You Gimruis seem to be the same.  Saying that people shouldn't fish for food and saying they are the problem is insanity.  You have no place in this conversation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agronomist_at_IA

I think anybody can see that the food/forage base is or has declined in Mille lacs.......having a lot of large fish doesn't help it at all. I think they should thin the herd.

  • l Love It 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
monstermoose78

Let’s get them 22-27 inch fish out of the lake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gimruis
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, tfin said:

So Gimruis has a problem with meat hunters on the lake.  Then he should be promoting the use of cameras instead of guns when out hunting birds or animals.  If you want to fish for sport and look down on those that fish for food then go get a hand held fishing game and sit on the shore.  Believing something is the truth doesn't mean that it is.  You can say the lake isn't mismanaged all you want and that the surveys work because the people using them have advanced degrees.  I work for people in construction that have degrees but don't know crap about what actually happens on a construction site.  The worst thing to happen to electricians is schools putting out project management courses.  Now instead of people with practical knowledge running jobs we have people schooled in theory with big ideas and egos to match.  You Gimruis seem to be the same.  Saying that people shouldn't fish for food and saying they are the problem is insanity.  You have no place in this conversation.

 

 

Ok, so all the biologists, scientists, and compiled data is wrong and you're right.  Lets rape and pillage the lake until there's absolutely nothing left.  Great idea tfin.  In fact, maybe when the walleyes are all gone we should harvest all the muskies, smallmouth bass, and pike in the lake too.  And then blame the DNR for it.  Go fly a kite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agronomist_at_IA
13 hours ago, gimruis said:

 

Ok, so all the biologists, scientists, and compiled data is wrong and you're right.  Lets rape and pillage the lake until there's absolutely nothing left.  Great idea tfin.  In fact, maybe when the walleyes are all gone we should harvest all the muskies, smallmouth bass, and pike in the lake too.  And then blame the DNR for it.  Go fly a kite

 

Well......The issue is that the biologists, scientists, and others have looked at the compiled data regardless if the data is good or bad, and have no consensus on what is really wrong or going on or how to fix. So out of confusion and not understanding on what's going on they've taken a course of action which doesn't seem to be working. Leaving a bunch of large walleyes in a lake with low forage doesn't work to well. If young recruitment of walleye isn't happening, maybe they should look at trying something else.....

 

  • Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bbfenatic
On 7/12/2018 at 8:08 PM, Sculpin said:

The vast majority of people that fish do so to harvest a few fish. I think for the most part the days of the meat hunter, and freezer fillers  are gone. Very few people take the time and expense to arrange a trip, and then release all their fish,  Bass fishermen aside. However, if a bass tasted like a perch, or a walleye, or a crappie, they'd ALL be gone. 

The thing to be most concerned about is recruitment of young people to fish and hunt. I saw a news announcement from the DNR the other day stating fishing license sales are down 40,000 YOY. That's a huge number, and it's only going to get worse.  In addition, the average age of a fishing license buyer is getting pretty old. Same as deer hunting, duck hunting, and most other shooting sports.

Once politicians see the decline in the revenue,  and the voting block diminished, the more difficult it will become fund the DNR. That's why there is so much political apathy about things like Mille Lacs lake, metro politico's don't have a clue, don't care, and won't care. The liberal block doesn't care, won't ever care, nor would they go in their pocket to help.

Sorry for the rant, but it's the tip of a huge iceberg. Mille Lacs is the canary in the coal mine, more is on the way, take it to the bank.   

 

I agree...recruiting young people is the key but keep in mind these millennials tend to be more on the "no limit"  catch and release only side of the argument and you couple that with the fact that our DNR is recruiting these same millennials to work for them....so it makes it harder to sway both sides of the same fence.  IMO they should cut all limits of all species in half state-wide immediately, including all boundary lakes/rivers like LOW and see what the fish population looks like in 10 yrs...this includes keeping any local slot limits in place plus opening Mille Lacs back up to a reasonable keep. Half a limit is plenty to keep for those of us who enjoy a fish fry now and then IMO.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ozzie
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, monstermoose78 said:

Let’s get them 22-27 inch fish out of the lake

 

yeah lets get those prime breeders out of the lake!!!  🙄  some of the stuff said on the Mille Lacs situation is just unbelievable...

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
monstermoose78

No the most productive females are 18-22 inches. 

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gimruis
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, bbfenatic said:

recruiting young people is the key but keep in mind these millennials tend to be more on the "no limit"  catch and release only

 

Totally true.  The younger generation is far more interested in protecting the resource and the older generation is far more interested in meat hunting.  Its definitely a generational gap thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agronomist_at_IA
12 hours ago, ozzie said:

 

yeah lets get those prime breeders out of the lake!!!  🙄  some of the stuff said on the Mille Lacs situation is just unbelievable...

 

 

LMAO 17-22 slots are because of those females being the prime breeding stock.....22-27in fish are not the prime......sure they can still reproduce, but not has effecently for the resource vs the 17-22in fish.

 

12 hours ago, ozzie said:

 

yeah lets get those prime breeders out of the lake!!!  🙄  some of the stuff said on the Mille Lacs situation is just unbelievable...

 

 

LMAO 17-22 slots are because of those females being the prime breeding stock.....22-27in fish are not the prime......sure they can still reproduce, but not has effecently for the resource vs the 17-22in fish.

 

  • l Love It 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agronomist_at_IA
11 hours ago, gimruis said:

 

Totally true.  The younger generation is far more interested in protecting the resource and the older generation is far more interested in meat hunting.  Its definitely a generational gap thing.

 

I would disagree with this  statement. 

 

Obviously the older generation  protected and safeguarded the resources otherwise they wouldn't be here. In fact the older generation created many of the resources we have. When you have a renewable resource, a community should take full advantage and use the resouce to the FULL advantage possible. With fish that means harvesting them.

 

Now, I'm not talking rape and pillage the resouce. I'm talking responsible harvest. 

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DonkeyHodey

"Obviously the older generation protected and safeguarded the resources..."

This isn't exactly obvious. 

Historically, "protected and safeguarded" means exploiting the resource to the point of elimination, crying to the state/DNR/government to externally replenish it and then complaining/crying more when it isn't done the way you'd like? (or isn't "as good" as it used to be to allow more exploitation)  Oh, and it's also helpful to find a scapegoat to deflect/blame as well--carp, "invasives", other races or "generations", etc...   It would seem that's how the Walleye has been protected and I don't think it's anything to brag about.

"...otherwise they wouldn't be here"

Just because a species can hang on despite exhaustive and devastating pressure does not mean the exploiters can claim any conservational or moral superiority...  

 

This isn't anything unique though:  Lake trout in the great lakes, cod in the North Atlantic, trout in pretty much every stream would also be nodding in agreement... (as would numerous other non-fish natural resources--turkeys (they were extinct in MN until reintroduction in the latter 1900's...), swans (also locally extinct--reintroduced), canadian geese (nearly completely extinct), prairie chickens, bison, etc...)  I can give numerous other examples if you'd like, but I'd rather go passenger pigeon watching...

(...For the record, I don't think the "younger generation" is any less greedy/selfish--But they sure think they're different/better...)

 

Agronomist:  You're sorta talking out of both sides of your mouth--"FULL advantage possible" and "responsible harvest"?  "Full advantage" is never responsible...  But maybe this time will be different, right?...

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ozzie

ok maybe not per say the "prime breeder" but if your lake is not possessing a number of 18"-22" fish to support your lake system, then I would think, you need a good population of 22"-26" fish to lay eggs, even though the survival rate is lower, and the bigger eyes will at times prey on young walleye if there is a low forage base.  If you have been to a stripping station it always seems the females they get eggs from are mostly over 22".  Maybe they ripen faster and that is the reason, I don't know, but that has been my observation, and I would think if the 18-22" eyes produce "Better" eggs then they would want to use them more.  The main point, I guess I wanted to make, was that Mille Lacs is such an ecological conundrum, it appears, and then to have many different hands in the bowl making decisions on it, I often laugh at all the people that think THEY have the answers, and for the most part are pulling their opinion out of their arse!  I.E. go back to the start of this thread...opinion shot down by science and yet still believes in opinion!  Just my take...

 

*(disclaimer: means nothing as it is not backed by science and the information given was my uneducated thoughts...kinda contradicting ehh )*🤔🤣

 

Get out and enjoy what we have, while we have it, and are around to use it!  Unless you are getting into politics, or are really rich and have a lot of pull with powerful people, you ain't changing much on the big ol'pond!!  (another opinion that means nothing😉

 

I am not even sure why I open these threads and then feel the need to comment?  I guess this is what keep conversation going and a reason to come back and look at the forums...

 

Good Luck and Enjoy the season!

  • I Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flash

Ozzie,

Well said.  This world we live on is over millions of years old.  I don't think much that I do is going to have much impact on the little blup of hopefully around 80 years I get to enjoy it.  Thus, enjoy what you have and let the rest worry about it.  Go Hunting and Fishing and enjoy it.

Flash

"Set the Hook"

 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tfin
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, gimruis said:

 

Ok, so all the biologists, scientists, and compiled data is wrong and you're right.  Lets rape and pillage the lake until there's absolutely nothing left.  Great idea tfin.  In fact, maybe when the walleyes are all gone we should harvest all the muskies, smallmouth bass, and pike in the lake too.  And then blame the DNR for it.  Go fly a kite

I didn't say that all the data is wrong.  I didn't say that we should fish the lake out.  I said that the lake should be managed for food not for sport.  You're advanced degree didn't help you with reading for comprehension.  

 

If you don't think it was mismanaged let me ask you two simple questions.  First question.  Was it managed?  Second question.  Did that management keep the lake population of walleye to a satisfactory level?  I will say that people may have taken too many fish but if the DNR is going to take tax money and use it to set limits than they should be accountable for doing a good job.  People don't all know the lake.  They come from all over and if the regulations say you can take 4 fish under 17 then they probably will.  If you do this for or something similar for 5 straight years., you're probably going to end up with fewer small fish and correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that why the lake got shut down?  I'm not calling for heads to role because the lake has it's many issues.  I'm just trying to keep it from happening again.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, gimruis said:

Totally true.  The younger generation is far more interested in protecting the resource and the older generation is far more interested in meat hunting.  Its definitely a generational gap thing.

Probably because they can hardly wipe their own butt much less clean a fish.  

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~
24 minutes ago, tfin said:

 I said that the lake should be managed for food not for sport. 

 

Well it is managed for food.  Sorta?  🙄  

d39cc6-20170927-mille-lacs-survey04.jpg

untitled.png

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tfin

Yeah, there's nothing pretty about any of that.  The lake is what it is with the abuse it takes.  I don't blame the DNR for shutting it down, the year classes that I've seen while out on the ice have been well represented and It seems to be stronger than I've seen since 2007.   I want to see it opened back up but with different long term management.  Whether it's 1 over and 1 under limits or changing the size of harvest fish as long as they don't repeat the same long term program that got us here.  I'd be happy with 1 over 22 in the summer and 1 under 18 over 15 in the winter if that would keep the lake in good health.

 

I suppose there are differing combinations of three types of fisher people out there.  Those that want the challenge, those that want the fight, and those that want the food.  I couldn't care less about the fight.  I like the challenge of finding the fish and to be able to eat my catch once in a while.  If that means I have to freeze a fish until I catch enough to feed the family then so be it.

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agronomist_at_IA
On October 25, 2018 at 9:20 AM, DonkeyHodey said:

"Obviously the older generation protected and safeguarded the resources..."

This isn't exactly obvious. 

Historically, "protected and safeguarded" means exploiting the resource to the point of elimination, crying to the state/DNR/government to externally replenish it and then complaining/crying more when it isn't done the way you'd like? (or isn't "as good" as it used to be to allow more exploitation)  Oh, and it's also helpful to find a scapegoat to deflect/blame as well--carp, "invasives", other races or "generations", etc...   It would seem that's how the Walleye has been protected and I don't think it's anything to brag about.

"...otherwise they wouldn't be here"

Just because a species can hang on despite exhaustive and devastating pressure does not mean the exploiters can claim any conservational or moral superiority...  

 

This isn't anything unique though:  Lake trout in the great lakes, cod in the North Atlantic, trout in pretty much every stream would also be nodding in agreement... (as would numerous other non-fish natural resources--turkeys (they were extinct in MN until reintroduction in the latter 1900's...), swans (also locally extinct--reintroduced), canadian geese (nearly completely extinct), prairie chickens, bison, etc...)  I can give numerous other examples if you'd like, but I'd rather go passenger pigeon watching...

(...For the record, I don't think the "younger generation" is any less greedy/selfish--But they sure think they're different/better...)

 

Agronomist:  You're sorta talking out of both sides of your mouth--"FULL advantage possible" and "responsible harvest"?  "Full advantage" is never responsible...  But maybe this time will be different, right?...

 

 

Wow people read and comprehend only what they want.

 

Using a resouce to its full advantage possible would be harvesting fish responsible, if you can understand something so simple you need someone to help you. 

 

Not ot giving the older generation credit for protecting and managing our resources is just ignorant. However, with your train of thought they must have wiped out the dinosaurs or are somehow responsible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • SkunkedAgain
      If I were Moosebirds, I would move the ice cream cart outside like the beer carts at a nightclub. 80% of their traffic has to be ice cream related so they could sell it outside. If they have to keep it inside they could have someone outside taking orders/collecting cash and another worker bringing it out so that you don't have to crowd everyone inside. Heck, they could have a dockside ice cream cart filled with icecream sandwiches for grab and go!
    • Mike89
      that's one of the other lakes!!  LOL!!!!!
    • ozzie
      I honestly have not even attempted to fish the chain in the recent weeks.  This past week my FIL did go on Tuesday to Trout and found a few willing whitefish for the smoker again but he said it got too hot to fish.  On Thursday and Saturday we went to lake further north and found a few willing crappies to keep us active but could not find any walleyes.
    • Rick
      Awesome report. Thanks @Joe
    • Raven77
      I've only fished Birch a couple of times so I'm no expert.  My best walleye on Birch is this 28"er caught on the west end of the lake in mid September .  Caught this one and several eaters trolling Rapala deep taildancers in about 25 FOW.  Since you are new to the lake I recommend hiring a guide for a half day.  If you want the name of a good one you can pm me.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great walleye fishing this week.  Lots of limits, plenty of larger slot fish (19.5" - 28") and trophy walleyes (over 28").  The MTT Photo and Release Walleye Tournament winners had over a 9 lb average each for 5 fish both days of the tournament.  Lots of big walleyes in the lake.  Different parts of the lake have different things happening.  In some areas, the mayfly hatch was over.  In other areas, it was just firing up.  Fishing was better where the hatch was not in full force.    The go to presentations are spinners with crawlers or trolling crankbaits.  Nice schools of eaters on the south shore and up north around Garden Island in 10 -15' of water.  More and more walleyes also staged over deep mud in 30 - 34'.  Hammered gold with glow white and gold with glow red strong colors.       On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers catching fish with the evening bite the best.  Fish holes in the river with a 3 ounce no roll sinker and sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and/or frozen shiners.   Nice smallies in rocky areas.  Pike are also active cruising bays, weed edges and current breaks.  Walleyes out on flats and can be caught with crawler harnesses or trolling crankbaits. Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.   Fishing has been awesome up at the Angle.  Schools of walleyes on structure, over sand and on mud.  Nice walleyes 8 - 17' on the sand or 25 - 28' around structure.  Big numbers of eaters being caught.  The best presentation continues to be drifting and trolling spinners with a crawler or a minnow.  Pike and smallmouth bass are active in numerous weedy bays. 
    • delcecchi
      Yeah, wife took the grandkids to moosebirds for ice cream and was not impressed with the service or the covid precautions.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Now is there a locomotive somewhere in the lake to find?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I had a pizza when the new folks took over, and it was not good. However, most everything that I have had since then has been really good. I had the walleye tacos this weekend and the weekend before that had the italian beef sandwich. My general sense has been to stick with burgers and sandwiches. They did badly overcook my brother's walleye sandwich and fries the other weekend, but it was a busy night so I get that it happens. They seem to have good crowds every night, so maybe kitchen staffing is an issue.   Last Sunday (a week ago) around noon there were only two girls working at Moosebirds with a line 10 people deep stretching out the door towards the street. My simple guess is that it's a struggle to find enough workers but that could be a naive assumption on my part.
    • Muskies
      Sorry hit the wrong button.... For a place to stay on the Minnesota side of rainy your options are, Thunderbird lodge, Island View lodge or Sha Sha resort. All are 10 -12 miles east of Int’l Falls on Hwy 11. Another option is the new hotel in Rainer which is 3 mile east... I believe it’s called the Cantilever Hotel. Each has positives depending on what you’re looking for...   As for fishing...the walleyes are starting to transition to deep water. I went out for an hour Saturday evening and caught 2...the largest being 25”( in the picture) My wife and I were out from noon to 5 on Sunday (yesterday). We were fishing jig and minnows. Caught 18 walleys; 5 in the slot 14-16”, 1-18 1/2” all the rest 13” or smaller. Did a lot of running around to find active fish. Caught fish in 20’ and saw a lot of mayfly caucuses floating in the water still and a lot of minnows. Water surface temperature was 78 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s only going to get better...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.