• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Caitlyn Casper

On shore fishing spots + local fish tips?

Caitlyn Casper

Hello!

I'm a student who just moved here from Washington state, and the fishing here seems to be a little different, so I am glad I found these forums! I have a few questions, I hope you don't mind answering. (I saw a post from 2003, but I figured I'd ask again this time around.) 

1. I don't have a boat, so are there any easy-ish to get to great spots in the area? I have a back injury and can't hike rough trails, but I can do a moderate hike. 

2. Any tips for local fish? I'm particularly interested in catfish, and I heard they are easier to catch on shore. What do catfish like bait and rig wise?

3. I prefer buying bait and other fishing stuff from locally owned stores. What are your recommendations?

Thanks! 

mrpike1973

Hello there!

Not sure exactly were your at but here goes.

1. in Cold Spring right on the river is a public fishing pier this is on the Sauk River this is great for Catfish. There are also some bridges throughout the system that can be great for Catfish.

2. Catfish love night crawlers, leeches and cut bait. I personally have not had the best luck with chicken livers but worth a try. As for rigs a slip sinker works great. A weight, egg sinker works good then tie a snap swivel with about a 1-2 foot leader to a hook. I prefer circle hooks as they don't gut hook fish very often and have a great point of getting in the mouth. A regular float and small jig or hook also works well.

3. In Cold Spring there is a small gas station that sells bait. I don't know the name sorry. In Richmond there is Channel Marine great group of people that have great bait and will steer you in the right direction.

4. There is a catfish section in the forums here also that has great tips.

Welcome to FM!!!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rick

@mrpike1973 - NICE

Tom Sawyer

Welcome to Outdoor Minnesota @Caitlyn Casper

Below both St. Cloud and Sartell Dams are great options for easy accessible shore fishing. Along with several area parks that border the great Mississippi, in St. Cloud and Sauk Rapids. Another spot to keep in mind is  the Stearns County park just North of Sartell along the river which also has great access to easy fishing.

Keep it simple when river fishing. Basically a hook line and sinker and live bait of your choice will work to catch fish. I've caught river cats on just about anything, but they seems to perfer cut bait.

There are two great bait shops in St. Cloud. Both Stop Light Bait and The Bait Den will be more then happy to set you up with everything you'll need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smurfy

The gas station in cold spring that sells bait is Kiess shell.

• Like 1

Caitlyn Casper
Posted (edited)

@mrpike1973 , @Tom Sawyer - 

Thank you two so much for all that information! That was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. That detail is the best! I definetly wrote it down. I did forget to mention, I do live at SCSU but I have a car and Coldsprings is a perfectly fine drive for good fishin'. 

For the SCSU dam I keep seeing mentioned, what is the name of the park its at, or something I can put into Google maps? I cannot find the spot mentioned for the life of me! (I'm also gonna have to drag my boyfriend along to go fishing there. I was told it'd be kinda dangerous for small female me by my Uncle. Have you guys seen anything weird around there? Or is it just my Uncle being over protective?)

I did end up scouring the Lake Map via MN official website, and ended up going to Warner? Would have been fun if he told me he put kite string on his reel before I went, got there, and tried casting for a bit... I (and a random kind fellow angler) just assumed it was heavy duty line for pulling behind the boat. But nope, it was kite string, which makes sense why I couldn't cast it farther than four feet. 

Also, I found the Bait Den, and they are amazing! So I probably will be going there a bunch, because he help set me up with some stuff and was super patient with my never ending questions. 

Edited by Caitlyn Casper
  • Like 1

mrpike1973

Hello there. As for being safe I don't know of any issues but I'm not directly from the area. I have never had any issues fishing there however with that said your safety is above anything else. Bring your boyfriend and have a great time! As for location it is 1 block east of Hardee's real easy to get to. Coming from St Cloud going into Cold Spring you will go over a bridge turn left right at the bridge you will see the pier from the road.

Another thing I forgot to mention go to the MN DNR web site there is a pier fishing map you can look at or call them they will send you one this is very informative and lets you know other piers to use.

Most of all have fun and let us know how you do!

• Thanks 1

MinnowBuckets

I don’t know that you would want to stay there after dark, but I have never had any issues with people down there. There are usually plenty of others around, especially on nice days. Campus security has emergency buttons placed down by the river in case you ever need assistance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1