• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

fish_time

Ice fishing a pit lake

fish_time
Posted (edited)

The best part of mining, is the lake that is left when the ore is gone. Let us show you how we catch trout on a pit lake. Enjoy.

Edited by fish_time
  • Thumbs Up 3

leech~~

Cool, learned a lot from your wife!  :)   How long ago was this?

perchking

Great video, we have a hand full of pit lakes by us but I have never fished them. It’s my understanding that some of them are close to 400 feet deep, not sure how accurate that is but that’s what I have been told. 

knoppers

I think  some pits get close to 650' deep. I only fished them in summer, never winter.

fish_time

For anyone questioning the date this was filmed, it was the last week of trout season. Unfortunately I was not able to post it till trout season was over due to family needs. Also,if your interested in fishing pit lakes. Go to the DNR lake finder and type in "pit". Be very careful when ice fishing them. I feel the ice is never as thick and they tend to have springs. 

mikemac

Thanks for sharing your video. What a fun time and I really enjoyed watching it. Quality time with the family-priceless!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Many strong reports from the lake.  Mixed schools of fish from 14-28' along south shore from Lighthouse Gap to Rocky Point.  Most anchored up and jigging with frozen shiners.  Gold or gold mixed with other colors working well.   The key is finding the fish.  Once found, fish tend to cooperate nicely.     On the Rainy River... Strong walleye activity continues.  Jig and frozen shiners continue to be the go-to method with some anglers also trolling crankbaits.  Gold, orange and yellow for jigs.  As waves of walleyes move through, reports change daily up and down river.  Be mobile, move around if a spot isn't producing.  A lot of good reports in 8-14'.  Some big walleyes caught over the weekend. Sturgeon continue to have the feed bag on.  The sturgeon catch and release season goes through April 23, 2019.       Up at the NW Angle... Fishing continues to be really really good.  Limits of walleyes being caught in 14 - 25'.  Jigging still producing.  Look for areas of current in neck down areas and outside of bays.  Fall crappie bite in on.  Muskie trollers still boating and releasing good numbers of fish.  The best fall fishing is yet to come, but only for the hearty!  Dress warm and hang on.  
    • ANYFISH2
      I guess I dont mind the bonus tags, but prefer it when it is a 1 deer limit.  Only because I like seeing a lot of deer.  Selfish I know, but!   I have yet to shoot a deer in Camp myself.  This will be my 16 Year hunting out of 20 years applying. Love Camp, even on the down years.  My time is  coming, I hope.
    • monstermoose78
      I liked the bonus tags in ripley as many people only were chasing trophies. I shot a fair number of does and fawns there. Only shot one buck and some idiots took it is was a nice 9 pointer.
    • ANYFISH2
      I will be sure to call you!   But of course, you can do the same. Unfortunately bonus tags are in play again.
    • monstermoose78
      With 700 people 74 deer aint bad  And  no bonus tags
    • Agronomist_at_IA
      Well......The issue is that the biologists, scientists, and others have looked at the compiled data regardless if the data is good or bad, and have no consensus on what is really wrong or going on or how to fix. So out of confusion and not understanding on what's going on they've taken a course of action which doesn't seem to be working. Leaving a bunch of large walleyes in a lake with low forage doesn't work to well. If young recruitment of walleye isn't happening, maybe they should look at trying something else.....  
    • Wanderer
      I bet that success rate goes up this weekend if the rain doesn’t get too crazy.   It should be 10% + Anyfish’s buck at least. 😉   At least you can have someone around to help you drag it out.
    • ANYFISH2
      74 deer harvested, 5 or 6 bucks topping 200 pounds.  Right around 10 % success rate.   Info per area wildlife manager.
    • Wanderer
      This is what I heard from someone who hunted:   The 200 lb mark was broken by at least one buck.   Deer sightings were OK.   Bears, bears, bears... gorging on acorns.   About 700 hunters participated.   Success rate unknown.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has announced that regional wildlife manager Cynthia Osmundson will become the supervisor of the agency’s Nongame Wildlife Program, effective next month. Osmundson will replace the recently retired Carrol Henderson.  “Minnesotans have been strong supporters of the state’s nongame program, and it’s my desire to build on that success and continue to connect people with wildlife,” Osmundson said. The donor-supported DNR Nongame Wildlife Program works to help more than 700 species of Minnesota wildlife thrive. Nongame wildlife are species that are not legally hunted, with a focus on species that are rare, declining or vulnerable to decline. Minnesota’s Wildlife Action Plan is an important guide for this work. This partnership-based, 10-year conservation plan is designed to ensure the long-term health and viability of Minnesota’s wildlife and to enhance opportunities for people to enjoy it. “We are so fortunate to inherit the strong foundation Carrol Henderson and his team of wildlife professionals have built over the years,” Osmundson said. Osmundson most recently served as regional wildlife manager in the DNR’s Central Region, where she and her team focused on key priorities affecting the 50,000 acres of wildlife habitat in 23 counties including the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area, and outreach to diverse communities. Before that, Osmundson was the statewide forest habitat coordinator in the DNR Wildlife Section. She has also worked as a planner for the Minnesota Forest Resources Council and as an assistant refuge manager in Montana and Wisconsin with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Born and raised in Minnesota, Osmundson earned her bachelor’s degree in zoology from the University of Montana and a master’s degree in wildlife biology from the University of Wyoming. While there, she had opportunities to trap and tag grizzly bears, as well as raft the Colorado River in search of endangered fish and peregrine falcons. More information about the DNR Nongame Wildlife Program can be found at mndnr.gov/nongame. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.