• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

leech~~
7 minutes ago, smurfy said:

bout 15 miles north of us. we are off cty rd 29.

So, 12 min's by snowmobile! :lol:

• Sad 1

smurfy
5 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

So, 12 min's by snowmobile! :lol:

not by snowmobile trail or forest service roads!!!!!!!! down the middle of 29 maybe!!!!!!!!!:cry::grin:

• Thumbs Up 1

smurfy

It's about 38 miles via sled from the cabin to squaw lake, 17 by vehicle.:crazy: it's a fun 38 Mile's though!!!

Edited by smurfy
  • Thumbs Up 1

PRO-V

Hey Smurf, were you an altar boy there in the 70's when the credibly accused priest was there?

smurfy
8 minutes ago, PRO-V said:

Hey Smurf, were you an altar boy there in the 70's when the credibly accused priest was there?

:cry::cry: OMG!!!!!  i remember a father foote i believe was there in my time. it might of been around then. in 1970 i was 17, maybe but noone tried nuttin with me.......... 

PRO-V

I can't remember the name but you can Google the list and search by name. The one you mentioned doesn't ring a bell though. Glad you weren't a victim!!

gunner55

Yeah going to have to check out Hayslips Corner 1 of these days, brother's been over there. Was just over to Riley's on Tuesday, some meat raffles going on & had pretty good crowd, didn't eat though. Used to go there more but not much since we started going to Squaw Lake. We're only ~ 10 miles from the Spring Lake Store & the little blue guy. 

• Thanks 1

smurfy
23 minutes ago, gunner55 said:

Yeah going to have to check out Hayslips Corner 1 of these days, brother's been over there. Was just over to Riley's on Tuesday, some meat raffles going on & had pretty good crowd, didn't eat though. Used to go there more but not much since we started going to Squaw Lake. We're only ~ 10 miles from the Spring Lake Store & the little blue guy. 

i dont go up there to go to bars/out to eat but i've had pretty good food at rileys. its the closes to the cabin for food. sometimes ya just gotta please momma.:cry: the timberwolf over by marcell is to spendy for my taste, good food there to!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

gunner55

It's days for you & weeks for us, so we don't have to hit the water when it's -40.;) Sometimes we're just looking to get out for a couple hours. Heard that too about the TW, very spendy. Used to eat at Riley's with the mom & dad. From what I've seen, lately, it doesn't look like anyone compares to The Hill, at least for their Cheap Burger Night. Everybody's more $ & not as good IMO

smurfy

it takes some pretty bad food for me not to like it!!!!!!! to me the sportsmans in deer river is a good deal.

gunner55

Been there to, on Tuesday, when we went in to GR. As usual good food, quick service, & reasonably priced. Hot beef & hot pork sammies this time 

merc

It's unreal how fast the Sportsman can get that food out even when it's packed. You never leave hungry there and it is darn good. I usually have the hot beef. Just ate there last week. The price is reasonable for all you get. The T--Wolf is a bit spendy but really good also, plus it's only three miles from me. And Hayslips, all I can say is it is a very unique place. I always stop for a quick one or three. Have to support the locals. Richeys shut down so I'm down to two places now.

• Thumbs Up 1

gunner55

Heard about Richey's, not sure where, B Store maybe.

smurfy
33 minutes ago, gunner55 said:

Heard about Richey's, not sure where, B Store maybe.

Sheez gunner they don't have a bar there.:crazy: me thinks merc should buy Richie's, then all his beer is free and get could then live up nort!!;

• Thumbs Up 1

gunner55

Been there too, but not in a long long time. Not real sure that would be much of a money making operation.;):grin:

smurfy

richies used to be a huge mecca/ starting point for snowmobiles back in the day. it was nothing to see 50-75 sleds there on weekends!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

merc

It was hopping years back. Live music on weekends. Snowmobile trail went right through the parking lot so that was always packed on weekends. Had a lot of fun times there.  Had a restaurant back then also. When the Wolf got built that put a huge hit on Richies. Too bad it's locked, would always meet my local buddies up there. Things change as time goes on, some for the better but it's always hard to see places lock up in small towns.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

gunner55

Seen some live music there but never there during the winter, so no sleds. Seem to remember them having a big 4th of July bash going on

HonkerDown

The old atmosphere of the hill will be tough to replace the food was always good especially if you wanted more than just a burger. (ie good steak). The Hill was just down the road from my place and I really feel bad for the staff as jobs can be a little tricky to come by up there especially the really good waitresses that just came over from the Gosh Dam    Anybody ever get in on the all you can eat crab at the hill it was awesome! Think it was Monday nights.

Good luck to them all in the future hopefully its sooner than later!

leech~~

Has anyone heard if they are rebuilding The Hill Bar? 

smurfy

As of mid July nothing was going on there. I drove in there, think I parked in the bar!

• Thumbs Up 1

leech~~
2 hours ago, smurfy said:

As of mid July nothing was going on there. I drove in there, think I parked in the bar!

Looks like their still running the small motel. Hope they rebuild it was a pretty nice place when they remodeled a few years ago.

smurfy

i just talked to a co worker that lives like 8-9 miles north of deer river.............and he hears alot. he hasnt heard BOO about the hill!!!!!

• Sad 1

gunner55

Actually spoke to them  over at our neighbors, that he built, open house this summer & he said they were still fighting with the insurance company. The scuttlebutt we hear, from someone that knows their boy well, is she doesn't want too. Too hard to get the business built back up. It looked to us, before we came home for the holidays, like Jerry was doing the remodel on the old North Star grocery store that Cenex closed this year. Some sort of meat shop rumored to be going in there 

Edited by gunner55
  • Thumbs Up 1

leech~~

Why not use the insurance money to rebuild and get it going then sell it off with the land and Motel if you don't want to run it?  Unless they get to pocket the money and just run the Motel only?  🤔