• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Hill Bar in Squaw Lake burnt to the ground!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

wow.........i'm shocked. its 27 miles from our cabin. stopped there also snowmobiling and coming thru fishing. quiet the place. so sad to hear.

• Wow, ❤ 1

hows that place by the cenex doing? use to be called the crow bar now i think its called fish scales or something like that. like i said havent been over that way in a while.

i can remember when my dad was alive he would tease the grandkids that they were going to go to the crow bar to eat crow. man they got wound up!!!!!!!:grin: 

• Yayyyy 1

Fish Tales.  I love stopping there for the wild rice burger. 

• Thanks 1

Video of the fire on Geiger's Trails End Resort on fb

36 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Fish Tales.  I love stopping there for the wild rice burger. 

well i had the general idea!!!!!!!!:grin:

yea i dont think i can get into watching someones bad luck.

• Wow, ❤ 1

really great burgers!  never made it to the other place. 

2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Video of the fire on Geiger's Trails End Resort on fb

Wow, being so old and with so much wood she went up like a box of matches. :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/shannon.kruse.98/videos/10210705057398604/

Went there on Tuesdays, cheap burger night, often. Only 15 miles from us. The owners husband built our new place on the lake late '13 - early '14. Good people

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gunner55 said:

Went there on Tuesdays, cheap burger night, often. Only 15 miles from us. The owners husband built our new place on the lake late '13 - early '14. Good people

Any noises yet about rebuilding up there? They still have the little Motel which I have stayed at before so I would think they would rebuild the bar?

Edited by leech~~

We were up to Fish Tales on 1/15, their cheap burger night, to check it out & see if some of the regulars from The Hill would show up there. Burgers were OK, we like The Hill's better, & we seen 1 familiar face. Everybody was friendly, so as we had a couple & had our burgers we  got to BS'ing with everybody. Even the bartender agreed that he thought they would rebuild eventually & that Jerry would probably be doing the building as he wouldn't l want anyone else to do it, since that's what he does. We thought It might easily be a year or more though by the time the Fire Marshall is done, the insurance company does their thing, & then the actual construction. That was all Danielle's thing, as that's what she did while Jerry worked construction 16-18 hrs a day. He's done a lot of work around our lake, especially on our(south) end. 

Edited by gunner55
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, gunner55 said:

We were up to Fish Tales on 1/15, their cheap burger night, to check it out & see if some of the regulars from The Hill would show up there. Burgers were OK, we like The Hill's better, & we seen 1 familiar face. Everybody was friendly, so as we had a couple & had our burgers we  got to BS'ing with everybody. Even the bartender agreed that he thought they would rebuild eventually & that Jerry would probably be doing the building as he wouldn't l want anyone else to do it, since that's what he does. We thought It might easily be a year or more though by the time the Fire Marshall is done, the insurance company does their thing, & then the actual construction. That was all Danielle's thing, as that's what she did while Jerry worked construction 16-18 hrs a day. He's done a lot of work around our lake, especially on our(south) end. 

Once of the real sad deals when ever there is a fire like this, is all the non-replaceable history hanging on the walls like fish, deer heads, old pictures and funny old signs. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

We thought it was a fairly new construction(70's) but were told that the original building went back to the 1934

• Thumbs Up 1

Jerry and Danielle are good friends of mine, I live just up the road from them, I probably helped pour the concrete at Leeches house. Yours the one on Bass? Jerry starts building it will go quick, The Hill after all was the only bar IN the town of Squaw Lake. Very sad seeing things like this happen, Jerry had just completed the last remodel on the place, he is a hard worker.

• Thumbs Up 2

No, we are the 1 on Sand just north of LL. He built the neighbors just north of us last season. The stop sign on CO RD 35 by the Portage bridge, just a couple places north of that. Jerry did the 1 on Bass just after ours. We demo'ed starting the day after Labor Day 2013 & were unloading the pod back into the new place by late April 2014. We've got to know a lot of nice people at The Hill over the last 3 -4 years. Probably even talked with you. Some of the Tuesday bunch know us as the brothers from Ia.

Edited by gunner55

1 hour ago, gunner55 said:

We thought it was a fairly new construction(70's) but were told that the original building went back to the 1934

You could tell by the creaky old wood floors by the bar and the hall to the rest rooms that they had been there a while.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

2 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

You could tell by the creaky old wood floors by the bar and the hall to the rest rooms that they had been there a while.

oh yea but thats what makes places like that cool!!!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coldtrack said:

Jerry and Danielle are good friends of mine, I live just up the road from them, I probably helped pour the concrete at Leeches house. Yours the one on Bass? Jerry starts building it will go quick, The Hill after all was the only bar IN the town of Squaw Lake. Very sad seeing things like this happen, Jerry had just completed the last remodel on the place, he is a hard worker.

so how long was the harbor open???? i remember when that was open back in the day. we used to attend the catholic church in squaw lake.............heck i was even an alter boy there back in the day!!!!

5 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

you want creaky old uneven floors.............??? check out hayslips corner in talmoon. now there's a treet to see!!!!!!!!:grin: 

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, smurfy said:

so how long was the harbor open???? i remember when that was open back in the day. we used to attend the catholic church in squaw lake.............heck i was even an alter boy there back in the day!!!!

you want creaky old uneven floors.............??? check out hayslips corner in talmoon. now there's a treet to see!!!!!!!!:grin: 

Yeah been there, and most around Marcel, Big fork, Effie, Togo, to name a few when up snowmobiling the area. :)

• Yayyyy 1

12 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Yeah been there, and most around Marcel, Big fork, Effie, Togo, to name a few when up snowmobiling the area. :)

UGH......... you've been close to my turf then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin: where 7 miles west of talmoon. we are close to the megatropolis of spring lake mn.  awesome sleddin trails up there!!!!!!!!! now i'm getting to old.

3 minutes ago, smurfy said:

UGH......... you've been close to my turf then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin: where 7 miles west of talmoon. we are close to the megatropolis of spring lake mn.  awesome sleddin trails up there!!!!!!!!! now i'm getting to old.

One of my buddies has a cabin on 145 right by Dora Lake.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, smurfy said:

bout 15 miles north of us. we are off cty rd 29.

So, 12 min's by snowmobile! :lol:

• Wow, ❤ 1

5 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

So, 12 min's by snowmobile! :lol:

not by snowmobile trail or forest service roads!!!!!!!! down the middle of 29 maybe!!!!!!!!!:cry::grin:

• Thumbs Up 1

It's about 38 miles via sled from the cabin to squaw lake, 17 by vehicle.:crazy: it's a fun 38 Mile's though!!!

Edited by smurfy
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, PRO-V said:

Hey Smurf, were you an altar boy there in the 70's when the credibly accused priest was there?

:cry::cry: OMG!!!!!  i remember a father foote i believe was there in my time. it might of been around then. in 1970 i was 17, maybe but noone tried nuttin with me..........