• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Itchy dog

FishinCT

My lab has always had dry skin but this winter seems worse than ever. I feel so bad for her, she just itches like crazy. I feed her diamond grain free-whitefish. Seems like a really oily food and I also give her fish oil gelcaps once a day. 

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to try

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Coconut oil helps my lab

• 2 weeks later...

I use a fish oil that comes in a pump bottle from Menards or FF. This stuff makes a huge difference for my dog. It calls for one tablespoon or 1 pump per 10 lbs so my pup gets 7 or 8 pumps on his kibble.  i also try to run the poor mans humidifier (boiling pot on the stove) on the really cold days. It has been extra cold and dry so far this year though. 

• Thumbs Up 1
leech~~

Like Kidmoe said. about the humidity. This time of year when the furnace is running a lot houses get really dry, and just like us their skin gets dried out. Also make sure their bed or they are not sleeping in front of or by a heat register.  The warmth feels good but it's not helping.

Edited by leech~~
  • 3 months later...

Actually the furnace is not drying the air out it is the low outdoor humidity infiltrating the house in the winter which is dry.

Walleye Guy

Many times a dog that has itchy skin has a food allergy/tolerance problem. There isn't any real easy way to remedy the issue other than trying new dog foods until you find one that fixes the problem.  Your vet may have some suggestions.  Stay away from prescription food unless its a last resort as it is very expensive.  Good luck.