• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

King Canada

How’s the ice...Sunday looks like a good day to head out to the island.

Edited by King Canada
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mulefarm

• IceHawk

• King Canada

• Rick

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone driving on the lake yet?

Maybe in an airboat...

Didn’t make it out for ice fishing. Definitely some big cats in there. I believe they were stocked in the early to mid 80’s. There use to be a catfish tournament in August.  Friends said ice was not g

Posted Images

King Canada

Not much snow except against the Island...lot of glare ice ...lots of house in the flat between the Island and Northern Lights....beautiful Day!

• 3 months later...
King Canada

At some point this pattern has to change.  I am still hoping for the last weekend of April to put the dock in but it's looking more like the weekend before opener.  In 25 years we've never had to wait till the weekend before.

• 2 weeks later...
Musky hunter 82

Some of the lakes are just starting to be ice free from the shore, I haven't heard of any lakes that are completely open.  But my guess is for sure by next weekend most should be ice free.

they said on the news this morning that 3 lakes are open..   didn't say where or the names...

Musky hunter 82

Looking at the DNR website they show 8 lakes in MN that are open.  Not sure how often they update it.

Hookmaster

Yesterday when I looked at that website there were only 3. This morning, only 3. So maybe once a day.

Musky hunter 82

I don't know of any in Kandiyohi county that are totally ice free yet.  Willmar lake should be ice out today or tomorrow.

Musky hunter 82

A lot of lakes opened up yesterday with the wind.  I know Big Kandi is open and Wakanda, Point had ice yet Saturday morning but was looking really close, Eagle had open water out about 50-60 yards from shore.  

• 11 months later...
mulefarm

When will the ice be off? Heard there was a lot of winterkill? Any information.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Borch

Was still a lot of ice a little over a week ago.   Was still locked tight to shore yet but getting chunky when you drilled it.  Heard of some dead walleyes being found.  But didnt seem wide spread like other lakes in the area.

mulefarm

Thanks for the information. Any chance they might try to remove some carp this spring?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Borch

Haven't heard anything.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

Be curious the outcome and severity of the winter kills in that area myself.  Fortunately a lot of the creeks small rivers should be flowing great right now supplying fresh oxygen. Once open water gets here the true tails of the rumors will definitely show there selves. 

• 2 weeks later...
King Canada

We were up last weekend to put the dock in.  Water is very high and bogs are being blown around.  Didn't see any signs of winter kill.  Heading back up this weekend.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

The water temps were 49 degrees yesterday with about 18 inches water  clarity.  Openers are always a crap shoot so you never know. 

King Canada

I had 54 degrees in the afternoon.  Water's really high.  Weather foercast looks decent but it will change on Friday night to wind at 35 mph out os the east and a high of 41 degrees...cloudy with sleet and rain.  too many cormorants on the lake.

mulefarm

Tough opener for our group! The ones that were caught were good size, but few and far between.

jigginjim

Join the club, Them who fished from boats on many lakes done less than average.  Some of the guys fishing along fast water or shallows wader fishing done well.  This warmer weather will really help. the shiners should be coming in the shallows soon, making it even better.

bobberineyes

Heading out that way tonight,  north of kandi a bit. I'm guessing the big east winds wont help much tonight. The weather pattern looks favourable for the weekend though..