• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Catting the chain

Horseshoe_Don

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Just as good as the evening in fact if you get on the right group they will bite all day.

Smurfy they have been getting a few in the main channel also not far from there in front of Camerons Island. Another good spot has been on cedar island where the old crappie towns were years ago. 

Not sure what they call Cameron island!! Ceder island must be out by that island out by Gillies old place?

anyone ever use an underwater camera fishing thee kitties???????? i was told once they tend to shy away from stuff like that hangin in the water so i've always left it at home!!!!!!!!!!

How is the driving condition on horseshoe with the warm temps? Hoping to get out there tonight with my truck. 

4 hours ago, YB_Bassin said:

How is the driving condition on horseshoe with the warm temps? Hoping to get out there tonight with my truck. 

Travel is still very good. Access points are holding up fine yet

7 hours ago, smurfy said:

anyone ever use an underwater camera fishing thee kitties???????? i was told once they tend to shy away from stuff like that hangin in the water so i've always left it at home!!!!!!!!!!

Catfish do not care about cameras.   I filmed a catfish tornado that i posted a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

That was way cool. Haven't seen a fish yet on camera or locater. In 25 ft of water out in front of an island next to a little island on cedar island.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
On 1/26/2018 at 11:31 AM, smurfy said:

Dtro had adapted a rod/reel to use a aqua by micro cable and camera with a short mono leader for cats and panfish.  A quick check in YouTube and you'll likely find it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have had the Chain on my list of places for hit in the winter for countless years, finally planning on making it happen Saturday with a buddy. I read through this thread and must say thanks for the all the pointers and tips as I hope it helps trim away at the learning curve.

• Thumbs Up 3

Out there this past Saturday. Caught about 10 cats in our group. First time there and it was fun. Can’t wait til the next time we come back. Thanks for the intel on this forum, it was big help. It was fun figuring out the pattern of how to fish catfish. 

E93BDC17-6F93-4C6E-9938-48CC9DA9CBAB.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome Crappie day Nice Cats! enjoy there are a pile of them out there!

20 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Welcome Crappie day Nice Cats! enjoy there are a pile of them out there!

yea right!!!!!!!:cry: i musta been in such a secret spot.................not even the fish new where it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:grin:

40 minutes ago, smurfy said:

yea right!!!!!!!:cry: i musta been in such a secret spot.................not even the fish new where it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:grin:

LOL!! Are you kidding me you tried that area and never got any?  Man they were putting  the hurt to them for couple weeks there.

i wasnt at the methhole. went out to cedar island!!!!!! and judging by the way they where leaving noone else did much either. i parked on the west side of the island. used to be da honey hole for crappies back in  the olden days!!!!!:cry: 

That was the area they were getting them smurf all the way from the old crappie hole back towards gillies old place. They had them stacked like wood a few times I drove by eye fishing. Must of not been your day lol That old crappie hole hasn't  been the same since the old days. Man I have some good memories of catching craps in that area even all night.  Those were in the days when you could hear the sticks hitting the floors the tell tail sign of a good bite because no one had reels on there rods hand over hand ah the memories :grin:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

yep.......there were some houses further to the west, that musta been the spot. looked like they were in the middle of nowhere, there were some houses where i was at but no one around. kinda why i went there. least the fish didn't bother me!!!!!!!!!:grin: i aint going there again.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Been about 3 years since I've been out there catching cats. Going tomorrow night and bringing my teenage kids. Going to try to get them on some cats. Husband is up north on his guys fishing weekend so I'm hoping I can show the kids some really fun fishing and outfish the husband;)

Are the conditions up there the same, ie patchy spots of snow on the lakes? Heading up around noon so that we are set for the evening bite tonight and then go tomorrow also.

Saw a ton of fish on the vex but no cats would bite. Was able to get 1 crappie that was 13", but by that time it was too late to change to smaller bait. 

Had a struggle getting set up as it was the 1st time for the "new" house.

• 2 weeks later...