• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Spearing Machine

2017-2018 Vermilion Ice Conditions and Fishing Reports

JerkinLips
On 12/24/2017 at 9:12 AM, Wanderer said:

@JerkinLips

Thats pretty cool to have a break from work like that and fishable ice.  You have made the most of it.  What’s after the work stint?  Walleyes or lakers?

Wanderer - after next week's trip I plan on watching the Viking's playoff run (hopefully to the Super Bowl).  Will also take in the trout pond opener in the cities.  I don't fish lakers until March when walleye season is over.  I'm sure I will get in a few more weekends of walleye fishing.  It has been a great season with the good early ice, and a lot of vacation to use before the end of the year.

• Like 1

Cliff Wagenbach

I drove my F-250 out to my fish house today. No problems encountered!

Still a good walleye bite despite the cold front.

Managed to ice 8 walleyes and 3 jumbo perch, kept 4 nice eyes and the perch. Missed at least 8 other bites that I had hooked and lost.

Almost all bites were on the rattle reel using rainbows or pike suckers.

Cliff

• Like 3

Salo Island Family

Hoping to head out of Stuntz bay and fish near the sisters on Sunday.   Driving an F150 loaded with beef jerky and twizzlers.   Ha!

• Haha 1

Cliff Wagenbach

Still a good bite out there again this afternoon!

Got these fish plus released a 21" and a half dozen other smaller walleyes in about 3 hours.

All were caught on rattle reels with pike suckers and rainbow minnows.

20171227_145410_Burst01.jpg

20171227_154935_Burst01.jpg

• Like 3

trumy

Cliff did all this cold weather make a bunch of ice got abuddy that wants to put his 16 ft icecastle out from McKinley park but been little gun shy till now wasn't sure of the ice condition pulls it with f 250 thanks for any info you may have

Cliff Wagenbach

Trumy,

I saw a full size truck with a plow pull a 16' ice castle out from McKinley to Birch Island today! He even drove over a pressure ridge! Crazy!! But he made it!

Cliff

BRULEDRIFTER

Cliff, where is said pressure ridge? Heading out that way on Friday on snowmobile. Thanks!

Cliff Wagenbach

BD,

The ridge runs from the West end of Ely Island West towards Cherry Island. Not bad for a snowmobile or 4 wheeler in most areas of it. Just need to watch out for a few areas that are 2 or 3 foot high.

Lots of Ridges on the lake already so keep an eye out for them.

Cliff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

trumy

Thanks cliff kinda thinking may have to check it out on wheelers and sleds first as we don' have a death wish don' t like playing around with pressure ridges bad thingshappen  to fast

• Like 2

fishingdad

How Thick Is the ice where there is truck traffic ? 

JV Ham Lake

Do I need to worry about pressure ridges in Daisy Bay?  We’re new to ice fishing on Vermilion.  Planning to take a 4 wheeler from Grubens to Daisy Island Friday.

VermilionGold

JV, rode all around Daisy two weeks ago and didn’t encounter any obstacles.  The ice was heaved up along the north shoreline a little, there was 11” of good ice at that point.  We have had our cabin since 2013 and don’t recall ever having any in Daisy bay, mostly out in Big bay.  We’ll be up for NYE this weekend as well, going to be some cold snowmobiling.

Brett Kivela

Looking at going out of moc pt heading towards the portage, heard of a few pressure ridges around St. Paul an St. Mary's island. Anyone come across these yet? 

Cliff Wagenbach

FD,

14 inches of ice where I have been driving a couple of days ago.

Cliff

ohfisher

Hi Jerkin Lips,

Enjoyed meeting you today! Despite what you told us, I guess we don't have the magic touch yet.  One of our sons managed to catch a 16" walleye and an eelpout (exciting as we had never seen one before). The rest of us were shut out, but there's always tomorrow! 

Good luck the rest of the season.

Cindy

Bigquad

Brett,

Ben and I are going out on Vermilion Monday.  You off and if so want to meet up? 

JerkinLips

Hello ohfisher - it was nice meeting you also.  Sorry I didn't have more time to visit but I was anxious to start fishing after a late start due to looking for my missing wallet (thought I had left it at Walmart the night before, but found it had fallen in one of my bags).

Had good luck fishing Thursday, catching 10 walleyes in 6 hours fishing before quitting after getting my limit of eaters.  Also caught the 25" slotter shown in the picture.  Friday-Saturday was another story as I caught only 5 walleyes, including a 23".  I think that the reason the action dropped so suddenly was the increased vehicle and wheel house traffic in the area.  Many trucks were plowing roads and around their houses, and other were pulling houses out.  The good fishing lasted longer that I expected, but when I come up again in 3 weeks, I may have to venture away from traffic in my portable.

IMG_5375.JPG

IMG_5410.JPG

• Thanks 1

Salo Island Family
Posted (edited)

Happy New Year Everyone!

Thinking of going out today out of Stuntz. Anyone know of any known issues or think I should be giving it more time before driving out with the F150?

Thank You.

Marc Plaisted

Edited by Salo Island Family

Cliff Wagenbach

SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM GETTING TO YOUR ISLAND NOW WITH YOUR f-150.

CLIFF

• Like 1

JerkinLips

Nice looking fish.  Makes me wish I was going up again before two more weeks off.

OhioVike

Has anyone traveled through the Oak Narrows yet?  The west end entrance didn't look very safe right after Christmas but I didn't have time to check it out.

jim curlee

Headin up tomorrow, looks like the weather will finally give us a break.

I need to do some fishin! LOL

Any tips, for walleye fishin, depth, bottom composition, bait, techniques, flats, drop-off's, etc.?

Thanks

Jim

Cliff Wagenbach

Walleyes are being caught in depths from 14' to 35'.

Shallow fish are biting best in the early am and late pm.

22' to 36' depths can bite at any time, you just have to be there when they turn on! I have had my best luck from 9:00am to 1:00pm.

Dead sticks with pike suckers or rainbows have been my best bait.

Small jigs with crappie minnows or a minnow head. I have been getting more fish to come in if I jig 2.5' to 3' off of the bottom.

Cliff

jim curlee

Cliff:

As always a very informative post.

Thanks

Jim