• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017 Rainy River Conditions

The dam flow was not increased. I manage that for work

if anything we've decreased cfs on the dam. I believe the little fork and big for are probably going out if you're seeing those issues. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, northernfishin said:

The dam flow was not increased. I manage that for work

if anything we've decreased cfs on the dam. I believe the little fork and big for are probably going out if you're seeing those issues. 

This makes sense to me, not to mention you work there. I've watched the river gauges for the past 2 weeks and the international falls gauge hasn't budged except for a little rise in water level. 

Plus I can't imagine rainy lake water being dirty. It must be the forks. 

Heading up this weekend. Working some on the cabin and stuff. First time I'm looking at going out fishing and launching a boat this early. Most likely launch out of Wheelers Point. Just wondering if from a safety or launching the boat standpoint if I should be ready with or careful of certain things.  Any tips from a safety standpoint would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan

The dams cfs has been diminishing over the past week. I'm thinking the rivers are finally going out. Only a tough bite if you're not prepared for the type of fishing that the fish are biting on. I'm planning on picking up som vibratos in fire tiger or orange and yellow. A safety note: wear a life jacket at all times and have a throw ready to be tossed to someone. Also avoid going in areas in familiar. The river has a lot of dead heads and boulders that are in forgiving. Especially hard to see if water is silty. 

Edited by northernfishin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Heading up early tomorrow from Duluth and fishing out of Wheeler's Pt area.  I hope the conditions are not as bad as predicted with low water clarity.   We will give it our best shot and enjoy the time on the water.  Good luck to all others on the water!

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like little fork is about 25% open in littlefork. Big fork was roaring in big falls. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like little fork is about 25% open in littlefork. Big fork was roaring in big falls. 

anyone drive past the big fork and little fork where it dumps into the rainy. Wonder if it's opening up there. Hope to head up Tuesday unless there is a bunch of junk coming down the river 

I have a small 14 ft boat, if I drop in at birchdale will I be able to navigate up and down the long sault rapids?

River is dirty.  Had 4-6 days of fantastic fishing and now quite a drop off.  I believe the season wraps up on the 14th so hopefully it will clear up by then.  If not, can be the best Sturgeon fishing anywhere and a lot less boats!

15 hours ago, northernfishin said:

Yes. It's all open and flowing free. 

Huh?  Where?

I just drove over them. Ice on both forks under hwy 11. 

Just got back from Rainy. Water is not chocolate milk. Visibility is about 12". Still good enough for walleye to see a jig. Talked to DNR guy. He said the Corp opened up the dam @ I Falls to clear all the debris that was piling up. Water rose 2 ft and current was swift . Fish are still there, look for drop off and boulders they can hide behind. Fished in the Gap on Sat. out past Pine Island, right up against the ice-pack. It wasn't hot and heavy but fish were being caught.  Lots of boats at Wheelers Landing so get there early or plan to walk a long ways. Don't know what if anything will change when the Little Fork breaks.  Good Luck fishing. 

Just got back from the Rainy River the river is muddied up.  If you look at the water temps from Pelland the water temp has increased.  If you look at the temps from the Big and Little Fork the river temps have dropped 3-4 degrees, which I suspect means they have broke.  The speed of the river has also increase and you can only see you jig about 8 inches below the surface.  We did not catch a walleye on Saturday and we were on the river until 6:30.  My experience after fishing the river for over 20+ years is that it usually takes 10-12 days to clear up.  The reports from guys we talked to said they caught fish out in the lake by Pine Island but the majority we really small.  If someone lost a rod and reel up by the church on the river drop me a line I snag one on Sat. it is a special rod so if you can identify it I can get it back to you.  Good luck fishing  

• Thumbs Up 2

Not totally sure what you mean by broke but the little and big fork rivers still have ice on them. 

They are very high and dumping lots of water and mud in them, but still ice covered. 

I drove over them at 10 am this morning plus I put my boat in at pelland. 

We fished the out of Vitas Saturday and not a bite for 5 hours (dirty water).  Pulled out and launched at Wheelers Pt and eventually caught two fish by 6pm (16" and a slot, 24.5").  A long day and a long wait at the ramp to pull out.  Sunday was better since we found the Lake was open out to 3/4 of a mile. Fished in 15 FOW and caught fish.  Several cigars, 6 keepers and 3 nice slot fish, largest was 26".  Pulled off the water by noon due to high winds.  For the first attempt at fishing the Rainy in the Spring, it was not what I had hoped.  I will time it out better next year!  It was still great to be on the water.  Watched many sturgeon being boated.

Fished above the little fork as that was pretty murky and caught a three person limit with a few slot fish. 10-15fow. spent about 4 hours fishing so not to bad. Only one female caught. The rest were Nice males. The still hadn't gone out on the little fork but the big fork was flowing hard and backed up all the way past the second bridge on highway 6. Looks like the swamps and ditches are draining nicely and river looked to be down a foot in a days time. 

For those who keep stating the dam opened, it did not. The river levels rose due to big fork having its spring run off. The cfs on the dam has actually been decreasing due to river level increasing. It's my job to manage this so I trust my source...

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, northernfishin said:

Fished above the little fork as that was pretty murky and caught a three person limit with a few slot fish. 10-15fow. spent about 4 hours fishing so not to bad. Only one female caught. The rest were Nice males. The still hadn't gone out on the little fork but the big fork was flowing hard and backed up all the way past the second bridge on highway 6. Looks like the swamps and ditches are draining nicely and river looked to be down a foot in a days time. 

For those who keep stating the dam opened, it did not. The river levels rose due to big fork having its spring run off. The cfs on the dam has actually been decreasing due to river level increasing. It's my job to manage this so I trust my source...

Did you guys hear they opened the dam!?!

I'm thinking that this is some kind of inside joke up there. Either that or they're trying to downplay the fact that the forks are impacting the fishing. 

I also fished above above the forks yesterday and saw the water level and clarity first hand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like little fork is on the rise even more so in the past 12 hrs than previously. I was hoping it would be going back down by now, but maybe this is going to be a second blast of debris and even worse clarity??

Same here maxpower117. I also know people who live on little fork and said it hasn't broke yet. Looks to be backing up badly. Going to be big surge when it goes. I think people resort to the dam when they're not sure. Like I said. I typically post this time of year of levels will change due to flow changes at I falls dam. We're almost to a point where we will start cutting back more because rainy lake is at its minimum level for year. We never open the dam to blow out debris or whatever someone said. We're controlled under the International Joint Council who dictates flows. Pretty much Toronto and St Paul tell us what we can do and it's always about rainy lake level. If I had friends asking where to fish I would suggest below the dam in I falls. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Where would a guy put in above the Forks where you wouldn't be effected by the heavy flow and debris? Landings? Smaller boats? Concerns? Any info would be appreciated, got a trip planned tomorrow but would like some options. Just need to get out on open water and fish, I know it is sounding terrible but have the trip planned.

There's two options. The landing in pelland across from junction bar (great place to get food and beer after fishing). I put my 18' big lake boat in and do most of the year there. Otherwise drive into town and put in down the road from Hardee's on shore wood drive. That's a nice big beautiful landing. From there you can fish below the dam or down river. Make sure to have a good map as there's lots of shallow areas. 

I think you'd be fine at Pelland.  I've fished there b4 and it's not near as good as it is downstream toward the lake.  I wonder if you'd be better off trying to get out on the lake and battle it out there.