• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Replacing treble hooks on Spoons

MidCoast

I've been struggling with replacing treble hooks on my ice fishing spoons such as, for example, Buckshots. Do you guys know of any tools or tricks to make it easier?  

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

They make a split ring pliers but they bend the small split rings.  Use your thumb nail to open the ring.

I used the thumbnail method with all but the heavier split rigs.  If you're doing a bunch it gets sore.  I then use a small eye glass screw driver.  Once I get it started to remove the old one I slip the new one in behind it.  One falls off and the other on.   Careful, those small trebles are hard to hang onto and sticky sharp.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have had to replace them because they get caught in fabric, carpet, etc and ended up getting broke off when I try to get them unhooked. 

The thumb nail method is tough for those that chew em! ;)  I don't but know people who do.

I haven't used an official split ring pliers but a couple precision sizes have worked well.  This is a cheap set I like to have around.

IMG_1308.JPG

8 hours ago, Hawg said:

Why are you replacing them? Unless you want a different size most reputable companies use pretty good hooks. 

Channel cats are tough on treble hooks.  Guys who fish them regularly throigh the ice replace a lot of trebles on small spoons.

Use a plastic thumbtack to open split rings instead of your fingernails. They take us a whole lot less room than a specialty pliers. 

IMG_1602.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

My Best trick to replacing trebles is to drink 6-7 whiskys before hand so you can't feel it when you stab the sh*t out of your fingers.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BassThumb. said:

Use a plastic thumbtack to open split rings instead of your fingernails. They take us a whole lot less room than a specialty pliers. 

IMG_1602.JPG

Whatever it takes to open the ring enough to get the process started.  I've just found I have a lot more control over the process with a couple small pliers and fewer pokes in the finger tips.

I've even been known to use the pliers for other things but I'm kind of creative that way. ;):D

Split ring pliers  .... get them at Wal-Mart in the fishing section by filet knives.  makes it super simple!!   Was using them on small spoon taking off treble hooks for single hooks so I could throw a 2" Gulp minnow on it.   Makes it very easy

Bob

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Not many old hockey players here it looks like?   Probably all video game players! 🤭
    • leech~~
      My hockey stick in high school, today's hockey sticks!  But hey, don't worry mom and dad, you can make payments! 🤣   $359.99 CCM JETSPEED FT7 PRO GRIP COMPOSITE or monthly payments as low as 31.65. ccm-jetspeed-ft7-pro-grip-composite-hockey-stick-senior.webp
    • smurfy
      gonna try chasing them too!!!!!!!👍 i gotta list of lakes i wanna hit next week.......just not sure what order yet!!!!!!!!!!🙄 decisions.......decisions!!!!!!!🥴
    • Kettle
      The water Temps on most lakes are low 60s. Crappies in the shallows on just about every lake. Best time of year
    • smurfy
      what lake!!!!!🤪🤗 i'm headed up tomorrow afternoon till sometime memorial weekend....... mabe head back home sat or sunday to avoid traffic!!!1 
    • leech~~
    • SkunkedAgain
    • Wanderer
      Might not have to wear ear plugs when I mow!      That’s a spendy one.  It wasn’t hard to find one of those for $6k.  Comparatively and Ariens of the same size is $4,200.  A home owner grade JD for $3,900.  You could get into a commercial grade Z700 for maybe $8k.   I think the work I did today with mine would’ve killed that one there.    
    • monstermoose78
      Muskies? Lol
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   This year's MN Fishing Opener weekend was not only great weather wise, the walleyes and saugers were caught in good numbers.  A main fish gut hauler working with a number of resorts commented it was one of the most productive opening weekends he has seen based on the amount of fish guts collected after the weekend. The goto presentation was a jig and frozen emerald shiner.  Emerald shiners are a staple in LOW and walleyes love them.  Other minnows worked also, but emerald shiners are a favorite of anglers for good reason.   Four Mile Bay held good walleyes in 12 - 18'.  Not a surprise as the walleye bite on the river during the spring season was good and as of late, sturgeon anglers have been reporting catching walleyes on sturgeon rigs.   The Lighthouse Gap area, Morris Point Gap and just in front of Pine Island held nice fish in 12 - 15'.  Across the south shore, 18 - 22' was holding good numbers as well.  As you can see, there are lots of fish around.     A quarter ounce jig in gold, glow white, pink, orange, chartreuse, or a combo of these colors tipped with a minnow worked well.   As a reminder, the limit of walleyes and saugers is a combined limit of six fish, up to four of the six can be walleyes.  All walleyes between 19.5 - 28.0 inches must be released.  One fish over 28.0 inches can be kept.  The possession limit in MN is one daily limit of fish. On the Rainy River...  Some nice walleyes were caught on the river this weekend, although most anglers hit the lake.  10 - 15' of water was the norm.     Sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River has been excellent.  The catch and release season continues through May 15th and then closes until the keep season starts up again July 1st. Up at the NW Angle...  Some nice walleyes were caught in 18 - 25 feet of water, a little deeper than anticipated.  Points were good as were areas with structure.  The morning and evening bite was best.       As water continues to warm, go to spots for walleyes will be neck down areas, shoreline breaks, points and bays.     The goto presentation was a jig and minnow.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.