• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

9 hours ago, Jetsky said:

I assume the Bayview has re-opened now?  Anybody been to it?

We’ve tried a couple times by boat but their docking leaves lots to be desired. Same people who own VC and don’t have decent docking there either. I’m done trying. Last Saturday someone in a $50 bayliner tried to run us over to get to the dock space that was left. We left and went to fortune bay and am done trying

Edited by bassbouncer
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bassbouncer said:

We’ve tried a couple times by boat but their docking leaves lots to be desired. Same people who own VC and don’t have decent docking there either. I’m done trying. Last Saturday someone in a $50 bayliner tried to run us over to get to the dock space that was left. We left and went to fortune bay and am done trying

In fairness, the VC was never designed to be a boating destination.  He has about a 30 foot easement so not a lot of options and has neighbors to appease.  Tough scenario and a crapshoot for boaters.

They are fully aware of the dock problem at the Bayview as the neighboring (old Bayview) cabins got a couple of the end docks in the original sale and the other side (separately owned) got shoreline for the RV docks.  There were endless issues to get through just to get the place open in June.  The intent is to expand the dock system next year with a probable floating structure but not something they could accomplish immediately this season.  They have a guy working the dock so pull up and if allowed he can guide you to an RV dock (not a given but they have been pretty cooperative).  I have faced the full docks as well but would rather see that than a closed business.  Kudos to Dean for the RV park and Arch for the bar.  I know them both and they have pumped a lot of money into each while being extremely accommodating to the concerned neighbors....who are now some of the best customers.  As per the food I like the reduced menu from the previous venture.  I would highly recommend anything with the pulled pork....pp nachos, pp sandwich,  pp tacos.  A blended bulldog never hurts either!  Hopefully next season docks will be resolved.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just curious what any posts on this page have to do with the landing? I really don't care but some of you are sure quick to point out when posts get off the intended subject 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, trumy said:

Just curious what any posts on this page have to do with the landing? I really don't care but some of you are sure quick to point out when posts get off the intended subject 

We are?  I hadn't noticed any such activity.   

So, how do you like the new reconstituted Landing?   

Seems just fine but I'm not big on eating out and I don't drink anymore so I'm not a frequent flyer of any establishment 

• Thumbs Up 1

Disappointing.  Had a mushroom/Swiss burger there last week.  Small, dry, overcooked with a small dab of what looked like mushroom shavings.  Wife had a salad with grilled chicken that was tough as shoe leather.  I was really hoping for better as our cabin is close and we enjoy eating out.

Went to Landing last night (Saturday).   Had reservations and got a nice table by the window.   Server was working hard but seemed like maybe she was new and over loaded.    My iced tea was served in a shorter glass, and the water was plastic cups.  Maybe the dishwasher was behind.   Food was good and served hot.   My burger was a little over cooked but not bad enough to make me complain to the place.  Just you guys.   

Prices moderate.  They  had run out of artichokes for the artichoke dip... 

Price was good.   Plenty food for me and mrs.  

No alcohol, my buddy is on methotrexate and gets one beer a week.   His was friday at the cook vfw burger night which I highly recommend.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way, we saw three nice bucks in a group on Wakemup Village Rd on the way home.  I was sort of surprised since They were clearly in a group, and I thought bucks were more solitary.    Looked like 6-8 pointers.    Good looking deer.    

• I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, delcecchi said:

By the way, we saw three nice bucks in a group on Wakemup Village Rd on the way home.  I was sort of surprised since They were clearly in a group, and I thought bucks were more solitary.    Looked like 6-8 pointers.    Good looking deer.    

What you saw was the ever so common “bachelor group” Del .. the bucks are starting to move around more in these groups , but soon will be shedding there velvet on their antlers and establishing their seniority in these groups , and then they definitely will become more solitary while the upcoming breeding starts to take place .  Always nice to come across one of these groups , maybe you were lucky enough to grab a quick photo.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Bigfatbert said:

What you saw was the ever so common “bachelor group” Del .. the bucks are starting to move around more in these groups , but soon will be shedding there velvet on their antlers and establishing their seniority in these groups , and then they definitely will become more solitary while the upcoming breeding starts to take place .  Always nice to come across one of these groups , maybe you were lucky enough to grab a quick photo.

Thanks.  News to me.  First I have seen

29th ANNUAL LAKE VERMILION ANTIQUE BOAT SHOW
August 31, 2019 From noon to 4 pm at the Landing in Cook.
This year marks the 29th Annual Antique and Classic Boat Show on Lake Vermilion, held at the Landing Restaurant. The local Chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society (ACBS) is honored to have the Vermilion Lake Association as one of its honorary Boat Show Sponsors, again this year.  Last year, the Boat Show donated $1,500.00 to VLA, to kick off the fundraising efforts to either add another picnic site or increase the accessibility to one of the existing picnic sites.  The show is held every Sunday on Labor Day Weekend, from 12:00 to 4:00, with this year’s show falling on September 1st.  The location again is the Landing Restaurant which, which is under new management.  There will be live music, eat in the dining room or at the burger, brat buffet lakeside.   We have 30 antique and classic boats on display.  Please join us and vote for your favorite boat.  The winner will receive the People’s Choice Award.  The Show is free to the public.

ACBS is an International Organization dedicated to the preservation of antique and classic watercraft.  With 58 local chapters in the United States, Canada and Europe there are regional shows throughout the entire western world including Lake Vermilion.  The local Chapter in our area is the Bob Speltz Land O Lakes Chapter.  The organization was established in 1975 with the mission to preserve and protect the heritage of our boating history.  In the early 1970’s these old boats were either brought to the dump or to the burn pile, destined for destruction as it was felt they had no value.  It was only through the dedication of our early ACBS Founder’s and dedicated owners these boats you will see, remain today.  If you would like to learn more about the Organization, please go to www.acbs.org I would encourage you to do so.  In addition, come to the show and talk to the owner’s themselves, we are always eager to strike up a conversation.

The Boat Show here, for its organizers; Sandy Jackson, Mark Ludlow and Jeff Stebbins, we have three goals in mind.  Initially creating a venue that allows owners of antique and classic boats to visit Lake Vermilion and enjoy its beauty, allow the owner’s to display their beautiful watercraft to the public, share their knowledge and experiences and most importantly, act as an opportunity to allow, as we feel, to display one of Lake Vermilion’s greatest assets, besides the Lake itself, the Vermilion Lake Association. The VLA is dedicated to the preservation and protection of this great resource. Their presence at the show, allows the Association to display and educate the public of its achievements, goals, plans for the future, and maybe sell a hat or two.

Story from the Vermilion Lake Association

Cook Chamber of Commerce
www.cookminnesota.com

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

That's a good reminder. I've enjoyed my visits there lately.

Assuming I can get my ATV over the ice on Black Bay, I'll stop by a time or two the next time that I'm up.

Edited by SkunkedAgain