• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

On 1/24/2017 at 8:17 PM, delcecchi said:

Who is taking shots at Persons?   Although their ski training boat doesn't always stay far enough away from fishermen, considering its wake.

If the landing needs to charge high prices to make it, then so be it.  I am not convinced, however.  

I guess time will tell whether they will make it without the locals. 

And if I am not happy with a business I will express my opinion whether you like it or not. .

Del,

You know what they say about opinions and a certain part of the anatomy don't you. That said, you've made your point but it's now time that you step out for some fresh air and give this rant of yours a break.  

Good luck to the Landing's new owners. Restaurants are a tough gig anywhere and I sincerely wish you the best and hope you'll succeed.

John

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Chicagoanisamissindavee said:

Del,

You know what they say about opinions and a certain part of the anatomy don't you. That said, you've made your point but it's now time that you step out for some fresh air and give this rant of yours a break.  

Good luck to the Landing's new owners. Restaurants are a tough gig anywhere and I sincerely wish you the best and hope you'll succeed.

John

That post is a month old and like a page up.    I mean, seriously?    You are telling me to stop something I stopped a month ago? 

BTW new owners?   The landing has new owners?  

Cigarguy seems to know a lot about the Landing from its Facebook post or driving bye. Seems very narrow minded about a buisness he does frequent.  Not sure if he actually lives in the area?  

We frequent the Landing often!  The environment is inviting, clean, food is exceptional and consistent!  The service is outstanding the owners are alway there and working.  They operate a fantastic operation.  They've taken a facility that had a lot of issues in the past and turned it into a place we all on Lake Vermilion are proud to bring our family and friends!  The area and lake have had a lot of failures and "most" bar/restaurants are for sale.  Cigarguys favorite, the Crescent is for sale.  Bayview is open seasonally and who knows it's future.  Wolf bay is open seasonally. The Vermilion Club has shortened hours.  I would think supporting all the buisness on Lake Vermilion is what we should be doing before we have less and less options!

Lake vermilion has a lot of options but only one crown jewel...The Landing!

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Vermilion boater said:

Cigarguy seems to know a lot about the Landing from its Facebook post or driving bye. Seems very narrow minded about a buisness he does frequent.  Not sure if he actually lives in the area?  

We frequent the Landing often!  The environment is inviting, clean, food is exceptional and consistent!  The service is outstanding the owners are alway there and working.  They operate a fantastic operation.  They've taken a facility that had a lot of issues in the past and turned it into a place we all on Lake Vermilion are proud to bring our family and friends!  The area and lake have had a lot of failures and "most" bar/restaurants are for sale.  Cigarguys favorite, the Crescent is for sale.  Bayview is open seasonally and who knows it's future.  Wolf bay is open seasonally. The Vermilion Club has shortened hours.  I would think supporting all the buisness on Lake Vermilion is what we should be doing before we have less and less options!

Lake vermilion has a lot of options but only one crown jewel...The Landing!

Del, it looks like the first time posters are coming after us!  I wasn't going to say anything else on this topic, but as long as Vermilion Boater called me out, I'll say a few more things and be done.  I've been a lake home owner up here for only 5 years , but I've been to The Landing numerous times over the last 5 years.  I've taken part in fancy 4-course meals, had the daily special and just a burger or a cocktail. Sat at the bar and Bs'd with the bartenders Justin and I think her name was Jesse and they were great.

I've been to (not really my favorite) The Crescent less than 10 times total!  I don't go to the lake to spend time in a bar, but once in a while, it's a nice change of pace.  When we have company, I'll usually bring them to The Landing, because the setting is hard to beat.  The service, meals have been great at times and not so great.  You never know if there going to be open all week, Thur-Sunday or Friday-Sunday!  I'm not giving my "drive bye" opinion of the place!  I've talked to locals, people working on my place, fishermen and read reviews here, FB, Trip Adviser and see that reviews are in-fact, all over the place. So, it's not my "narrow-minded" view!  I don't seek out opinions, they come up in conversation.  I'm glad you, your neighbors and friends enjoy it!  BTW, your vast knowledge of the competition, leads me to believe, you might have a vested interest in the place:).  Ok, I'm done with this thread! 

• Thumbs Up 4

CigarGuy, maybe you need to buy some land across the river from your place and open The Cigar Bar on Lake Vermilion! :D

I'm a pretty big fan of having options.

If overpaying for a beer or two and some wings from time to time helps maintain those options, count me in.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SkunkedAgain said:

CigarGuy, maybe you need to buy some land across the river from your place and open The Cigar Bar on Lake Vermilion! :D

Would be a great name for it!  But, I would never own a bar!  I've spent enough time in bars over the years to know that dealing with people that have over-indulged is not my cup of tea:).

Plus, God willing and I'm able to retire in 4 years, I'm going to sit on Del's dock and cast crankbaits with him at people who ski too close to his dock......and drink his free beer!!!!:D

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

Would be a great name for it!  But, I would never own a bar!  I've spent enough time in bars over the years to know that dealing with people that have over-indulged is not my cup of tea:).

Plus, God willing and I'm able to retire in 4 years, I'm going to sit on Del's dock and cast crankbaits with him at people who ski too close to his dock......and drink his free beer!!!!:D

You don't have to wait that long.    But mostly the folks skiing close to my doc are the neighbors.  But I'm getting a new neighbor this year so got my fingers crossed.... that they are nice and not jerks.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Just saw this link, via a tweet from "cook, mn  @smalltownmn" 

https://twitter.com/SmallTownMN

Landing is for sale.  

https://www.bizbuysell.com/Business-Opportunity/Popular-Lake-side-Restaurant-on-Lake-Vermilion/1352132/

$350k, furnished

Business Description

Award Winning Restaurant with Lake-side Patio and Entertainment

The Landing on Lake Vermilion is a popular Northern Minnesota dining and entertainment destination. This highly attractive, newly renovated business has the capability to have high volume, due to the customer service systems. With expanded seating, customers are able to enjoy many revenue centers, including an outdoor patio and lake-side bar, outdoor deck and indoor restaurant/bar. The Landing contains 36 boat slips for guest docking and has easy access to the designated snowmobile trail. A high tourist area, Lake Vermilion was rated the #1 walleye fishing destination in Minnesota and #5 rated muskeye destination in the world.

(more at link)

The landing opened for a Kids ice fishing day this winter. The 5th. grade class from North Woods was on the ice for a day of ice fishing. The landing had hotdogs, chips, and hot chocolate for lunch. They also took care of the volunteers who helped after the kids left. 

The Landing is a large sponsor for Take a Vet fishing on 

Lake Vermilion. 

We are definitely short on restaurants on our lake so please 

support them when you can. 

Lonnie Johnson

Whatever happened to the lawsuit from the two? servers over wages and tips?    Settled?  Thrown out?    Verdict?

13 hours ago, legalmusky said:

Why are you always instigating, Del?

I thought it would be of interest.   I follow an account from cook on twitter.   They posted a link to the ad. 

What is it I "instigated"?  Why do you feel that way?

Because a lawsuit between employers and employees over wages and tips is bad publicity and you know it. You sound like MSM stirring up the mud for your own publicity.

1 hour ago, legalmusky said:

Because a lawsuit between employers and employees over wages and tips is bad publicity and you know it. You sound like MSM stirring up the mud for your own publicity.

The lawsuit is old old news.  I just never heard what happened.   I could have missed it if it was in the paper, like the lawsuit was when filed.   September 2016

Why are you so sensitive?  Didn't you know about the lawsuit?  

OK, I went and looked up the status.   Wheels of justice move slowly.   Nothing overt has happened yet.   Next event in june.   

I did a quick search on the St. Louis County tax website. The last purchase price was from October 2013 and was for $300k. I'd bet that the current owners put at least five figures worth of upgrades into the establishment over the past few years. It certainly looks nicer than before. I don't know if $300k was a good market price though. The previous sales were not listed.

Can we kill this thread yet?  Good lord.  Amazing how many bored internet trolls are out there.  Skunked, I'm not talking about you being a troll (seriously - I love your lake input) but you saw it purchased for 300K in 2013?  I looked and I couldn't find this.  300K for prime land, big frontage and a dwelling that's worth more than that?  Call me skeptical.  

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

why kill a thread when people are yakin away??  LOL 

12 hours ago, TrueNorth said:

Can we kill this thread yet?  Good lord.  Amazing how many bored internet trolls are out there.  Skunked, I'm not talking about you being a troll (seriously - I love your lake input) but you saw it purchased for 300K in 2013?  I looked and I couldn't find this.  300K for prime land, big frontage and a dwelling that's worth more than that?  Call me skeptical.  

So I'm curious which one of the people on here is the troll then?  If you don't like the thread don't open it. Pretty simple.  I appreciate the discussion, and certainly the advice given on all topics, and it is very relevant to the lake and its fishing populous.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, TrueNorth said:

Need something to talk about when no fishing is going on.

$300K does seem very low for this property.  Even a decent lot with a small cabin or home on it sells for that much on Vermilion.

P.S. Minneapolis is not true north.  I should know; I am stuck in Blaine.

2 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

Need something to talk about when no fishing is going on.

$300K does seem very low for this property.  Even a decent lot with a small cabin or home on it sells for that much on Vermilion.

P.S. Minneapolis is not true north.  I should know; I am stuck in Blaine.

From what I understand the price is for the business and does not include the land.  Don't know the economics.  Hopefully someone figures it out because I think we all agree we don't want to see another place close.

That's interesting if true. I'm assuming that this would be akin to a land lease, the seller retains ownership of the land while the purchaser purchases the "right" to operate a business on the land? I'm intrigued and confused. There are so many variables that would go into deciding if $350k was a good or bad deal knowing that one doesn't own the land.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 4:07 PM, SkunkedAgain said:

That's interesting if true. I'm assuming that this would be akin to a land lease, the seller retains ownership of the land while the purchaser purchases the "right" to operate a business on the land? I'm intrigued and confused. There are so many variables that would go into deciding if $350k was a good or bad deal knowing that one doesn't own the land.

I'm pretty sure the old owner Jack still owns the property and leases to the landing. I live close and with an inclusive business plan I think it would do fantastic. When jack ran it the place was packed. The owner of wolf bay lodge told me his business tripled since the landing changed hands. There is plenty of demand for a fun place to go that treats everyone the same whether they are rich or not, local or tourist. I've owned a few businesses in this area and there aren't enough extra customers that you can afford to get rid of anyone. Why anyone would want to is beyond me. 

Trying to live off the Edina tourists be pretty tough.     Do Pehrsons and Ludlows really have that many guests that many weeks? 

I can speak for Ludlows and have nothing but high praise. Mark, Sally, Paul and Kelly run a top notch resort. June to early September they are usually about Max capacity each week. Outside of the peak season weekend use is still relativity high. They don't have a restaurant on site but will provide(cooked in house) high end meals for some large cooperate groups that come in. They aren't struggling and the service won't be beat anywhere on Vermillion.

• Thumbs Up 1

I echo Spearing Machine's comment- Ludlows is a top notch resort. Terrific staff, nice accommodations, and provides a great experience for any staying. Our cabin isn't too far from there and we have family members who stay there often when we run out of space at the cabin and I have stayed there myself as well.