• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

monstermoose78

Well the divers are around. The little ponds are icing up this means one thing firearms season is here and ice fishing is coming. 

I hunted for divers and saw nothing within range. Watch for more reports soon with photos.

gimruis

Hey Moose my dog looks almost exactly like yours.  5.5 year female british Labrador.  I take her often in the boat fishing and obviously when I duck and pheasant hunt in the fall.

British Lab.JPG

Here's a more recent one.  She use to be fascinated by fish.  Now she doesn't pay much attention to them.

19.75 inch largemouth.JPG

• Like 1

monstermoose78
6 hours ago, gimruis said:

Hey Moose my dog looks almost exactly like yours.  5.5 year female british Labrador.  I take her often in the boat fishing and obviously when I duck and pheasant hunt in the fall.

British Lab.JPG

Here's a more recent one.  She use to be fascinated by fish.  Now she doesn't pay much attention to them.

19.75 inch largemouth.JPG

Beautiful dog!! 

monstermoose78

Been diver hunting the last two day what a blast. First day I saw so many ducks and I got a double on goldeneyes. 

98D1EE94-A557-4CF9-87A3-31B88A745690.jpeg

Then today not many ducks got a hen goldeneye and a merganser 

B7A691B1-5471-4E57-96E3-30A5BFFEAAF9.jpeg

Bigfatbert

Hey Moose , your dog is also great looking. . . Also wondering how those mergansers and goldeneyes taste , I wouldn't think to good , but hope that you enjoy the bounty.

monstermoose78

i put them in a wild rice hot dish and they are fine. I fry them in bacon grease first. 

I made a big batch for deer hunting it will be gone in two days easy.

monstermoose78

Well deer was the year of enough bucks seen by me and I shot like crazy. If you fall and bump you gun it can be off a lot. I was sick missing with the 06 so I had to use the 223 and never got to use it. I missed a nice 8, a forky, and 5 pointer all 60-100 yards. I did sight my rifle in but slipped walking the woods fell but did not think bumped my gun. Haha it was off 2 feet low and to the right 7 inches. I moved closer to where the deer were coming from so my 223 shots would 50 yards but never had a deer come by then.

leech~~
57 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

Well deer was year enough bucks seen by me and I shot like crazy. If you fall and bump you gun it can be off a lot. I was sick missing with the 06 so I had to use the 223 and never got to use it. I missed a nice 8, a forky, and 5 pointer all 60-100 yards. I did sight my rifle in but slipped walking the woods fell but did not think bumped my gun. Haha it was off 2 feet low and to the right 7 inches. I moved closer to where the deer were coming from so my 223 shots would 50 yards but never had a deer come by then.

That SUKS! :(

• Thanks 1

monstermoose78

It’s all good! I see the lakes around are freezing over that means I will be ice fishing soon. 

• Like 1

monstermoose78

F48BB7FE-7C0C-4877-BEE5-C3EF234F8093.jpegFinn and I have duck hunting the last 3 now gets and have not seen a duck or goose. I guess it’s roosters and grouse from now on anyways.

• Like 1

gimruis

I did some pheasant hunting of my own on Fri and Sat near the Princeton area with a friend and did very well.  I think the fact that a lot of standing corn was recently removed played a big role.

IMG_1210.JPG

Edited by gimruis
  • Like 3

monstermoose78

Great idea Finn and know of some great areas for roosters!! 

Congrats on the birds

ZachD

Nice I think I will give it a try tomorrow I think I know where you were hunting I was there before the corn was taken out and flushed a couple hens and one rooster

monstermoose78

Well to all who think the diver ducks taste bad most could not tell the difference. My dad did mention he had some strong pieces of duck in his batch. He said it was great except for the one B.B. I missed. I had some wood ducks, mallards, goldeneyes, and mergansers mixed together in the wild rice hot dish. None of the pieces of duck I had were bad and I did have a piece that was stronger favored but it was not bad.

I grill wood ducks up with a bacon and a jalapeño slice in bite sized pieces. This does just for eating. 

Okay to the really issues!! Upland game birds it’s time to get out chasing them. I have my list to get done that the wife left me. Then Finn and I are out to get some birds.

next up ice fishing!! Here is the deal I will be working with Rick G to set a get together for any one who would like to come and pick our brains or just hang out. More details will come as we get this rolling

• Like 1

gimruis

I've had a few divers in the past and they were noticeably darker/stronger tasting than the grain eaters.  Would I say they were unedible?  No.  But there was definitely a noticeable difference.

Looks like we're gonna get some real winter weather this week.  Everything should freeze solid like concrete.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:48 PM, ZachD said:

Nice I think I will give it a try tomorrow I think I know where you were hunting I was there before the corn was taken out and flushed a couple hens and one rooster

I went again this past weekend and did well.  Every spot I hunted had birds.  A friend and I went home with 5 roosters in about 4 hours of hunting.

• Like 1

ZachD
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 12:03 PM, gimruis said:

I've had a few divers in the past and they were noticeably darker/stronger tasting than the grain eaters.  Would I say they were unedible?  No.  But there was definitely a noticeable difference.

Looks like we're gonna get some real winter weather this week.  Everything should freeze solid like concrete.

I went again this past weekend and did well.  Every spot I hunted had birds.  A friend and I went home with 5 roosters in about 4 hours of hunting.

Must not be the spot I though you hunting private?

Went to some public land and the corn was still up earlier the season I flushed a couple each time I was out this time was a bust.

gimruis
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:15 AM, ZachD said:

Must not be the spot I though you hunting private?

Correct, all the places I hunt are private land.

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Well the lakes are locking up. Please watch as the swans and geese kept spots open. The ice around Princeton is sketchy at best, so tomorrow I am headed north to fish.

KidMoe

I’m thinking the same as you Moose. Just gotta try and scratch that itch!

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Good luck and be safe kidmoe 

monstermoose78

Caught 20-23 gills and 6 crappies. Fun day on the 10 inches of ice. The whole lake was close to the same where I cut all the holes out and around

3AEE2B92-AFAC-430C-B55C-36E8F3AD2E5F.jpeg

22EC612B-CC71-44E7-8F6A-576781739311.jpeg

• Like 2

crappie king 42

Went out locally here thanksgiving mornin on three inches of solid ice hot into the eyes really well. A week later whole place was open water again so we went out in the kayaks got 14 eyes than went out again now that ice is back went to same lake and had a rough weekend we only managed to get three all weekend. Went out on all local lakes they are all sketchy at best. Few more days to solidify that bad ice and should be good to go. Went to shakopee in onamia and there was a solid 10 inches out there. 

crappie king 42

8Went out locally here thanksgiving mornin on three inches of solid ice hot into the eyes really well. A week later whole place was open water again so we went out in the kayaks got 14 eyes than went out again now that ice is back went to same lake and had a rough weekend we only managed to get three all weekend. Went out on all local lakes they are all sketchy at best. Few more days to solidify that bad ice and should be good to go. Went to shakopee in onamia and there was a solid 10 inches out there. 

Snapchat-1114129132.jpg

Screenshot_2017-12-01-19-16-35.png

crappie king 42

No this is not red lake. This was a local spot in the cambridge princeton milaca area. 

Nice solid 14-17 inch walleyes nice and healthy and they tasted delicious 

• Like 1

crappie king 42

Just goes to show that if you put the time in to eplore new places just to see if there is anything in said body of water..... it can have very good payouts. The body of water that we got the eyes out of i have never fished before. Grew up next to it basically its only 10 min from the house. When they started hitting all fish were caught one after another i have never had walleyes through the ice bite like they did. A new experiance and i was able to share it with friends. Hope everyone is being safe out there. 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are currently hovering in the mid 70’s.

Minnesota walleye action has been really good with bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Gold spinners with hints of chartreuse, orange or just hammered gold are favored.  Walleye and occasional large pike can be had trolling deep diving crank baits around shoreline breaks and reefs.

Canadian walleye fishing continues to excite anglers via jigs and minnows. Pink or white jigs tipped with shiners will put fish in the boat.  Night crawlers on spinners will produce fish in the mud deeper than 25 feet. 

Musky action has been all over the place, fish are still being found in sandy, weedy bays, rock points and reefs.  The nearing new moon should have fish on the prowl this week. 

Congratulations to our neighbor and local guide, Forrest Huset and his dad Sean on their victory at the Lake of the Woods Musky Bowl this weekend!

Another neighbor, Jerry Klema, landed a 29 1/2 inch trophy walleye last week!

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!
      In Minnesota, walleye have been found using green, gold and orange spinners in 24-30 ft.  Jigging in the morning on tops of the reef has been the most productive.
      In Ontario, walleye fishing has been very good jigging on top of reefs as well, with gold and orange being the hot colors.  Musky fishing has been heating up as muskies are moving to the reefs and windblown points.  Multiple muskies have been caught over 50 inches within the last week.
      Happy Independence Day!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, Walleye fishing has been good in 18-28ft pulling hammered gold and orange lindy rigs.  Jigging has also been very productive on top of the reefs before the Walleye move out deeper onto the flats.  Key areas have been Dawson Island, Little Oak and Shady Island.

In Ontario, Walleye have been found deeper in 22-30ft.  A gold or chartreuse jig with a fathead or frozen shiner have been producing well around Deepwater bay, West side of Falcon and Gardner Island.  Many fish over 24 inches including a few Northern Pike and Muskie.  

Good luck and keep your lines wet!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello, from Sunset Lodge!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. In Minnesota, high winds limited fishing areas but many of our guests were able to find the walleyes stacked up on the humps pulling spinners.  Gold and green crawler harnesses are working the best.

In Canada, working a slower presentation such as a lift and drag technique has been most effective.  Limits of walleye are being caught using gold and chartreus colors in 18-22 ft.  Key areas have been Deepwater Bay, Monkey Rocks and the west side of Falcon Island.  Smallmouth fishing has been heating up as well, using a jig and plastic on the rocks. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      In Minnesota, walleye fishing has been fantastic! Using a jig and minnow or a bobber rig, walleye can be had anywhere from 3-15 feet in the evening and 18-25 during the day. Pink and white, chartreuse or blue and white jigs have been the most productive.

Canadian walleye are being found a little deeper at 22-26 feet. Many nice fish were caught this last week, multiple 26-28 inch and a very nice 30 incher. A jig and frozen shiner is the go to, however a freshly dead fathead works equally as well.

Surface water temps are in the high 50’s at sunrise, reaching mid to upper 60’s by evening after this sunny Memorial day weekend!

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      So if you are like me and have a jig addiction please help. I am looking for 3 mm sized jigs with bigger hooks. Why you ask I have been fishing lakes with big gills, but also have big crappies. Those tiny hooks on the 3 mm jigs just don’t seem to hold those crappies as well. I found the clam xl jigs but they are between 3.75-5 bucks jig. Anyone know where to find some small jigs with bigger hooks please let me know. Would you all be interested in finding jigs like this as well. Thanks 
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Some of the shallowest panfish we catch each winter happen in March during late ice on many fisheries.  Fun sight fishing patterns often emerge.  Fish can sometimes be found in a few feet of water under the ice.  Shallow weed patterns often come alive at late ice.  Many anglers assume that aquatic vegetation has to be green and vibrant in order to hold fish.   While still green weeds do hold fish, dead stands of weeds will also hold fish if the weeds provide cover and there is good oxygen.  When the ice begins to rot along the shorelines and water begins to seep into the lake along the shorelines, shallow water can be extremely productive.
      One of my absolute favorite locations for looking for shallow water bluegills at late ice is really shallow pencil reeds.  Pencil reed beds are common on many lakes and often hold big fish.  In many cases… depending on the thickness of the ice,  we might only be fishing in two to three feet of water under the ice.
      These pencil reed locations can really vary in size and profile.  Some dish bowl lakes might simply see pencil reeds lining the rim of the lake where there is the right sand bottom composition.  Other locations might be prominent reefs and bars that might be several acres.  My favorite type of location features pencil reeds that are growing out into five or six feet of water with a little bit of a roll to the contour where there is a sharper break running along the outside edge of the reeds.
      There are many strategies to fishing these reed beds but there is one overriding challenge.  You have to drill several holes to really figure out the nuances of the location but drilling a lot of holes over these shallow locations seems to push the fish off.
      Can’t prove this but it seems like electric augers and smaller bits seem less intrusive.  Six and four inch augers shine for cutting enough holes to really figure out these locations.  On the flip side, these smaller holes are terrible for sight fishing.  If you are planning on strictly sight fishing, use an eight or ten inch auger to give you a bigger window and let everything settle down after you drill your holes.  Another tip is to not drive vehicles over the location or drag anything on the ice.  When initially figuring out a location, we typically drill a lot of holes for simply learning the spot.
      You can walk from hole to hole and fish but what we so often find is that we catch a lot more fish by recognizing the sweet spots and waiting out fish.  The sweet spots are often open lanes and cuts, troughs and dips in the bottom that funnel fish movements.  Once you recognize and locate these spots, you can sit and let everything settle down.  Seen it happen often where you drill your holes and it takes five to ten minutes for fish to come back underneath you.
      You can definitely fish too aggressive and move too much in this type of situation because the reality is that fish might be scooting ten to twenty feet away from each step you take.  Have also seen situations where fish wouldn’t swim underneath a shelter or sled.  As a rule of thumb, you can get away with much more noise and presence if you are alone and on the spot first. As angling pressure increases over multiple days however, it seems like fish become more sensitive to everything.  The more you fish a location and learn the spot on the spots however the less holes you have to drill and the less intrusive you can be.
      Big bull bluegills in pencil reeds can be a handful.  These fish can wrap you up and break you off.  Because this can often be combat fishing, I often opt for heavier line like the Frost Four Pound  Mono.  This isn’t finesse fishing.  Because four pound test can lack sensitivity, I often use tungsten jigs even in this often shallow water just because the added weight of tungsten improves the performance of heavier lines.
      These patterns are notorious for producing big bluegills and this is fun fishing.  Much like trying to pull a heavy bass from out underneath a dock or laydown, there is an element of drama when fighting big fish in heavy cover.  Focus on the troughs, holes and bowls or any sharp outside edge that is in tight proximity to high dense stands of rushes and you will typically find big bluegills at late ice.
      Just remember, shallow pencil reed patterns can often provide some exciting fishing opportunities for big bluegills at late ice.
      http://fishingminnesota.com/top-stories/the-skinny-on-bulls-late-season-panfish-ice-fishing-adjustments/
      by Jason MItchell
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ozzie
      Any action out on Gull?  I have tried a few times and have had some success pulling rapalas but finding areas void of weeds is getting harder and harder.  Just curious how others are fairing out there.  I am thinking I need to get out there during the day and try small jigs and 3" minnows as that is what have been in the guts of the fish we have cleaned.
    • ozzie
      I have a buddy that has a cabin on the lake and he will fish the walleyes over deep water and also in the weeds as they seem to relate to both at times.  Seems like a hard lake to pattern but he always seems to catch something out there.  Good Luck
    • Hoey
      ...oh and I ran into Fiskynut on the Lake as well as the Point following Striefffs too.  
    • ozzie
      so just curious how is the water situation in the area?  the document didn't open and I don't get up in the area as often as I would like but I have heard of quite a few storms roll through the area.  I know the sentiment earlier this year was it was gonna take a lot to get things going in the right direction, so has that started to happen or still way below normal?  Thanks
    • ozzie
      Sounds good!  I won't be up this weekend but in the future I will look for ya!  I am in a couple different boats but a Lund Tyee is what I would be in most often with a 200 merc on the back.
    • Hoey
      Not to mention that some of these boats had doubles on the biggies, so they could select the heaviest or caught another biggie after tagging one.  Our boat did not get a biggie.  We had over 24 slots for the day, our biggest was 25".
    • Rick
      Women can hike to spectacular views of autumn colors and Lake Superior on the horizon during a three-day fall workshop that teaches a variety of outdoor skills through the Becoming an Outdoors Woman program of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  Getting to that view includes 330 feet of elevation gain on the Superior Hiking Trail – the kind of physical and mental challenge known well to Jo Swanson, trail development director for the Superior Hiking Trail Association and the keynote speaker for the fall workshop. “One of my themes is empowerment – learning to overcome fears of adventuring in the outdoors,” Swanson said. “We live in a culture of fear and people react strongly when women go on outdoors adventures, especially when they go alone. The truth is that with planning and preparation, the outdoors can be a very safe place.” The fall workshop is Friday, Sept. 14, through Sunday, Sept. 16, in a new location this year at Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center near Finland, Minn. Attendees will hear from Swanson and Minnesota state park naturalists. Session topics include Ojibwe heritage, Voyageurs, archery, canoeing, and the animals, plants and geology of the North Woods. Linda Bylander, coordinator of the Becoming an Outdoors Woman program, said that along with the new location, the workshop offers a new selection of classes this year. “Women who attend the fall workshop gain a whole range of experiences in a supportive environment,” Bylander said. “We chose dates when the fall colors should provide a beautiful backdrop. The workshop is designed for women ages 18 and up but girls ages 14 to 17 are welcome to attend with parents or guardians. Visit mndnr.gov/bow for more information and to register. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • srj
      Quite a strong bite for the Streiffs tourney. I think there were 20 or so over 28", with the biggest weighing 10 3/4. Last year I think there were five overs. The boats were spread all over the lake. Many were fishing the mud, a few were quite shallow and some on the rocks. Most guys spoke of slot fish like crazy......but roughly 1 out of 6 boats having a 28" plus is crazy!! The stage got a bit crowded when the big fish catchers got up there for a picture.
    • gimruis
      They can go on opener like everyone else does instead of pre-emptively scaring the local ducks out of the area.
    • OhioVike
      Congratulations!.  I am sure it's a bittersweet time for you.  All the best!