• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

monstermoose78

Well the divers are around. The little ponds are icing up this means one thing firearms season is here and ice fishing is coming. 

I hunted for divers and saw nothing within range. Watch for more reports soon with photos.

gimruis

Hey Moose my dog looks almost exactly like yours.  5.5 year female british Labrador.  I take her often in the boat fishing and obviously when I duck and pheasant hunt in the fall.

British Lab.JPG

Here's a more recent one.  She use to be fascinated by fish.  Now she doesn't pay much attention to them.

19.75 inch largemouth.JPG

• Like 1

monstermoose78
6 hours ago, gimruis said:

Hey Moose my dog looks almost exactly like yours.  5.5 year female british Labrador.  I take her often in the boat fishing and obviously when I duck and pheasant hunt in the fall.

British Lab.JPG

Here's a more recent one.  She use to be fascinated by fish.  Now she doesn't pay much attention to them.

19.75 inch largemouth.JPG

Beautiful dog!! 

monstermoose78

Been diver hunting the last two day what a blast. First day I saw so many ducks and I got a double on goldeneyes. 

98D1EE94-A557-4CF9-87A3-31B88A745690.jpeg

Then today not many ducks got a hen goldeneye and a merganser 

B7A691B1-5471-4E57-96E3-30A5BFFEAAF9.jpeg

Bigfatbert

Hey Moose , your dog is also great looking. . . Also wondering how those mergansers and goldeneyes taste , I wouldn't think to good , but hope that you enjoy the bounty.

monstermoose78

i put them in a wild rice hot dish and they are fine. I fry them in bacon grease first. 

I made a big batch for deer hunting it will be gone in two days easy.

monstermoose78

Well deer was the year of enough bucks seen by me and I shot like crazy. If you fall and bump you gun it can be off a lot. I was sick missing with the 06 so I had to use the 223 and never got to use it. I missed a nice 8, a forky, and 5 pointer all 60-100 yards. I did sight my rifle in but slipped walking the woods fell but did not think bumped my gun. Haha it was off 2 feet low and to the right 7 inches. I moved closer to where the deer were coming from so my 223 shots would 50 yards but never had a deer come by then.

leech~~
57 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

Well deer was year enough bucks seen by me and I shot like crazy. If you fall and bump you gun it can be off a lot. I was sick missing with the 06 so I had to use the 223 and never got to use it. I missed a nice 8, a forky, and 5 pointer all 60-100 yards. I did sight my rifle in but slipped walking the woods fell but did not think bumped my gun. Haha it was off 2 feet low and to the right 7 inches. I moved closer to where the deer were coming from so my 223 shots would 50 yards but never had a deer come by then.

That SUKS! :(

• Thanks 1

monstermoose78

It’s all good! I see the lakes around are freezing over that means I will be ice fishing soon. 

• Like 1

monstermoose78

F48BB7FE-7C0C-4877-BEE5-C3EF234F8093.jpegFinn and I have duck hunting the last 3 now gets and have not seen a duck or goose. I guess it’s roosters and grouse from now on anyways.

• Like 1

gimruis

I did some pheasant hunting of my own on Fri and Sat near the Princeton area with a friend and did very well.  I think the fact that a lot of standing corn was recently removed played a big role.

IMG_1210.JPG

Edited by gimruis
  • Like 3

monstermoose78

Great idea Finn and know of some great areas for roosters!! 

Congrats on the birds

ZachD

Nice I think I will give it a try tomorrow I think I know where you were hunting I was there before the corn was taken out and flushed a couple hens and one rooster

monstermoose78

Well to all who think the diver ducks taste bad most could not tell the difference. My dad did mention he had some strong pieces of duck in his batch. He said it was great except for the one B.B. I missed. I had some wood ducks, mallards, goldeneyes, and mergansers mixed together in the wild rice hot dish. None of the pieces of duck I had were bad and I did have a piece that was stronger favored but it was not bad.

I grill wood ducks up with a bacon and a jalapeño slice in bite sized pieces. This does just for eating. 

Okay to the really issues!! Upland game birds it’s time to get out chasing them. I have my list to get done that the wife left me. Then Finn and I are out to get some birds.

next up ice fishing!! Here is the deal I will be working with Rick G to set a get together for any one who would like to come and pick our brains or just hang out. More details will come as we get this rolling

• Like 1

gimruis

I've had a few divers in the past and they were noticeably darker/stronger tasting than the grain eaters.  Would I say they were unedible?  No.  But there was definitely a noticeable difference.

Looks like we're gonna get some real winter weather this week.  Everything should freeze solid like concrete.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:48 PM, ZachD said:

Nice I think I will give it a try tomorrow I think I know where you were hunting I was there before the corn was taken out and flushed a couple hens and one rooster

I went again this past weekend and did well.  Every spot I hunted had birds.  A friend and I went home with 5 roosters in about 4 hours of hunting.

• Like 1

ZachD
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 12:03 PM, gimruis said:

I've had a few divers in the past and they were noticeably darker/stronger tasting than the grain eaters.  Would I say they were unedible?  No.  But there was definitely a noticeable difference.

Looks like we're gonna get some real winter weather this week.  Everything should freeze solid like concrete.

I went again this past weekend and did well.  Every spot I hunted had birds.  A friend and I went home with 5 roosters in about 4 hours of hunting.

Must not be the spot I though you hunting private?

Went to some public land and the corn was still up earlier the season I flushed a couple each time I was out this time was a bust.

gimruis
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:15 AM, ZachD said:

Must not be the spot I though you hunting private?

Correct, all the places I hunt are private land.

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Well the lakes are locking up. Please watch as the swans and geese kept spots open. The ice around Princeton is sketchy at best, so tomorrow I am headed north to fish.

KidMoe

I’m thinking the same as you Moose. Just gotta try and scratch that itch!

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Good luck and be safe kidmoe 

monstermoose78

Caught 20-23 gills and 6 crappies. Fun day on the 10 inches of ice. The whole lake was close to the same where I cut all the holes out and around

3AEE2B92-AFAC-430C-B55C-36E8F3AD2E5F.jpeg

22EC612B-CC71-44E7-8F6A-576781739311.jpeg

• Like 2

crappie king 42

Went out locally here thanksgiving mornin on three inches of solid ice hot into the eyes really well. A week later whole place was open water again so we went out in the kayaks got 14 eyes than went out again now that ice is back went to same lake and had a rough weekend we only managed to get three all weekend. Went out on all local lakes they are all sketchy at best. Few more days to solidify that bad ice and should be good to go. Went to shakopee in onamia and there was a solid 10 inches out there. 

crappie king 42

8Went out locally here thanksgiving mornin on three inches of solid ice hot into the eyes really well. A week later whole place was open water again so we went out in the kayaks got 14 eyes than went out again now that ice is back went to same lake and had a rough weekend we only managed to get three all weekend. Went out on all local lakes they are all sketchy at best. Few more days to solidify that bad ice and should be good to go. Went to shakopee in onamia and there was a solid 10 inches out there. 

Snapchat-1114129132.jpg

Screenshot_2017-12-01-19-16-35.png

crappie king 42

No this is not red lake. This was a local spot in the cambridge princeton milaca area. 

Nice solid 14-17 inch walleyes nice and healthy and they tasted delicious 

• Like 1

crappie king 42

Just goes to show that if you put the time in to eplore new places just to see if there is anything in said body of water..... it can have very good payouts. The body of water that we got the eyes out of i have never fished before. Grew up next to it basically its only 10 min from the house. When they started hitting all fish were caught one after another i have never had walleyes through the ice bite like they did. A new experiance and i was able to share it with friends. Hope everyone is being safe out there. 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 😃
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are currently hovering in the mid 70’s.

Minnesota walleye action has been really good with bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Gold spinners with hints of chartreuse, orange or just hammered gold are favored.  Walleye and occasional large pike can be had trolling deep diving crank baits around shoreline breaks and reefs.

Canadian walleye fishing continues to excite anglers via jigs and minnows. Pink or white jigs tipped with shiners will put fish in the boat.  Night crawlers on spinners will produce fish in the mud deeper than 25 feet. 

Musky action has been all over the place, fish are still being found in sandy, weedy bays, rock points and reefs.  The nearing new moon should have fish on the prowl this week. 

Congratulations to our neighbor and local guide, Forrest Huset and his dad Sean on their victory at the Lake of the Woods Musky Bowl this weekend!

Another neighbor, Jerry Klema, landed a 29 1/2 inch trophy walleye last week!

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!
      In Minnesota, walleye have been found using green, gold and orange spinners in 24-30 ft.  Jigging in the morning on tops of the reef has been the most productive.
      In Ontario, walleye fishing has been very good jigging on top of reefs as well, with gold and orange being the hot colors.  Musky fishing has been heating up as muskies are moving to the reefs and windblown points.  Multiple muskies have been caught over 50 inches within the last week.
      Happy Independence Day!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• TAJ
      I agree with Rayguy. A lot of ecological changes happening everywhere and I think we’re seeing that on the Whitefish chain. Keep looking for new spots and new structure. Fish are still there. It’ll be interesting to see how Fall fishing goes. I am planning on fishing the next couple of days. I’ll let you know how I do. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Ace is right, no need to run to far to find walleyes! They are all over the East end where you will be staying. The number one rule is "trust your depth finder"! I never fish a spot unless I see a few fish there! Lindy rigs, spinner rigs, slip bobber rigs, and jigs will all catch walleyes that time of the year. Cliff
    • bluewater2
      Thank you, my husband and I usually go to Kabetogama . but we are going to go later, had a chance to go here for the first time(Labor day weekend)and are excited to try it. Found a private cabin to rent very reasonable in that bay.
    • Borch
      I fished most of the lake in scout mode today.  Found walleyes early on midlake humps and bars in 18-24 fow.  Got a couple to go on jigging raps but then they shut off.  Spent the rest of the day trying to pin down a panfish pattern.  Found good numbers of sunfish in shallow cabbage beds(6-9 fow).  None were huge but good numbers of 8-8 1/2" gills.  A few crappies are mixed in with them and some are suspending off the break.  There are also good numbers of sunfish in or just outside the reeds.   Most of the sunfish ran smaller though although there were some keepers there too.  Pike and bass I did not target but saw others do so successfully.   Plenty of bass in the reeds and spinnerbaits seemed to be what most were using.   Troll over the weeds and you will be rewarded with pike.
    • Borch
      I fished most of the lake in scout mode today.  Found walleyes early on midlake humps and bars in 18-24 fow.  Got a couple to go on jigging raps but then they shut off.  Spent the rest of the day trying to pin down a panfish pattern.  Found good numbers of sunfish in shallow cabbage beds(6-9 fow).  None were huge but good numbers of 8-8 1/2" gills.  A few crappies are mixed in with them and some are suspending off the break.  There are also good numbers of sunfish in or just outside the reeds.   Most of the sunfish ran smaller though although there were some keepers there too.  Pike and bass I did not target but saw others do so successfully.   Plenty of bass in the reeds and spinnerbaits seemed to be what most were using.   Troll over the weeds and you will be rewarded with pike.
    • Borch
    • Rick
      No brush or yard waste burning today through Sunday The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has issued an air quality alert for today through Sunday for northern Minnesota.    As a result, the Department of Natural Resources will not issue burning permits for brush or yard waste for all areas north of Alexandria, including Mille Lacs and Pine counties. Burn restrictions may expand as smoke from the Canadian fires drifts south. For updates and the air quality forecast, check the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency website. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • guideman
      If you are looking for Walleyes stay on the east end. There is no need to go running all over the lake to catch them. Daisy bay has Walleyes available as does Big bay which in my opinion has some of the best Walleye fishing on the lake.  Trolling cranks works this time of year, as well as Lindy rigging, or pulling spinners on a bottom bouncer. You can also find some decent evening slip bobber fishing close to where you are staying.  Good luck and have fun, you won't be disappointed.     "Ace" "It's just fishing man".   
    • guideman
      Anyone that takes 16 years to boat a Muskie most likely doesn't target them all the time.  I average one Muskie every time I go out on Vermilion. It really isn't that hard if you do your homework and do the little things that it takes to be successful. Get out there and cast, cast, cast until your arms fall off.     "Ace"   "It's just fishing man"   
    • bluewater2
      Was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on fishing the lake, we will be staying at a cabin by Daisy Bay / Arrow Head point. Not asking for your hot spots, just wondering if the area where the cabin is, if fishing for Walleye is close by. I here talk about east vs. west side. Not sure what that means? Any help would be great.