• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

Bigfatbert
2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

you shoulda stayed, then all would be great. LOL 

It wasn’t anything to do with the DNR were i worked.

I never said that I had the answers . 

But neither does the DNR , and they are getting paid to get it great . LOL !! 

gimruis
Posted (edited)

I guess the problem I have with how the DNR is run is that their solution on budget shortfall is to simply raise license and fee prices.  Since so much of their budget is tied to those license sales, when not as many people buy them, their solution is to raise it and cover up the shortfall.  This cycle has gone on for years now and every few years they raise the cost of licenses because they can see what the trend has been and will likely continue to be.  Eventually what they'll end up doing is weeding out the casual hunter/angler because a deer and turkey license will cost 50 or 60 bucks each.  Its not going to stop me from going, but at some point Joe Casual is going to say "not this year."  The solution in my opinion is not to attach so much of their operating budget to license sales because its likely going to continue to go down year after year.  Everyone knows that the average age of the hunter/angler in this state is going up and we're not recruiting the younger generation to replace them.  Stop trying to beat a dead horse back to life with your special youth waterfowl day, deer hunting weekend, and season long turkey hunts.  When I went, it was on opener just like everyone else.

As for the grouse population issue, I am not a biologist nor do I spend a significant amount of time grouse hunting.  I can only read what is posted in articles about it in the star tribune or other public literature.  I have had fantastic pheasant hunting in central MN for several years now so the WNV (West Nile Virus) doesn't seem to be affecting their populations...yet.

I was hoping to fish the rum soon for smallmouth but heavy rains just keep delaying it.  High, murky water is about as poor conditions in a river for smallies as one could ask for so I will continue to wait it out.

Edited by gimruis

monstermoose78

Youth waterfowl day is great!! It’s so much fun to bring kids and I do most years. 

gimruis

They can go on opener like everyone else does instead of pre-emptively scaring the local ducks out of the area.

monstermoose78
12 hours ago, gimruis said:

They can go on opener like everyone else does instead of pre-emptively scaring the local ducks out of the area.

It’s the greatest experience to take a kid duck hunting on youth day. There is not enough kids out there to chase the ducks away. When I take kids o rarely see another person hunting. I wish they had youth day when I was a kid. Stop being selfish and give the kids a chance!

• Like 1

gimruis

The smallies are going on the Rum.  I fished it for 4.5 hours today.  My Father and I caught 27 of them, all on topwaters.  I caught a new personal best river smallmouth, 20 1/4 inches.

7-18-18 toad.jpg

• Like 2

monstermoose78
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

The smallies are going on the Rum.  I fished it for 4.5 hours today.  My Father and I caught 27 of them, all on topwaters.  I caught a new personal best river smallmouth, 20 1/4 inches.

7-18-18 toad.jpg

Great fish!! The river looked good when went to Check my chuck trap.

• Like 1

gimruis

It came down pretty quick the past couple days after they got like 8 inches of rain at the headwaters last week.

• Like 1

rumeye

How are the deer flies where you were?

gimruis

Not terrible.  But they can be merciless, I will tell you.

monstermoose78

Well I am trying to get into some better shape. Finn and I are walking 1.25 miles a day to get ready for duck season. I hope to add another 1/4 a week. My goal is to get down a size 42 pants. My wife is walking with me and helping cut my portion size down as well. 

• Like 1

Cret Jigs
Posted (edited)

Went out on Blue the other day ... trolling deep divers on deep weed-lines, was able to catch some Pike and one nice Bass.  All returned to live again.   talked to a few locals and they said it had quieted down a bit with pan fish.  (i did not try for Pan fish)

Cret

Edited by Cret Jigs
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 😃
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are currently hovering in the mid 70’s.

Minnesota walleye action has been really good with bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Gold spinners with hints of chartreuse, orange or just hammered gold are favored.  Walleye and occasional large pike can be had trolling deep diving crank baits around shoreline breaks and reefs.

Canadian walleye fishing continues to excite anglers via jigs and minnows. Pink or white jigs tipped with shiners will put fish in the boat.  Night crawlers on spinners will produce fish in the mud deeper than 25 feet. 

Musky action has been all over the place, fish are still being found in sandy, weedy bays, rock points and reefs.  The nearing new moon should have fish on the prowl this week. 

Congratulations to our neighbor and local guide, Forrest Huset and his dad Sean on their victory at the Lake of the Woods Musky Bowl this weekend!

Another neighbor, Jerry Klema, landed a 29 1/2 inch trophy walleye last week!

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!
      In Minnesota, walleye have been found using green, gold and orange spinners in 24-30 ft.  Jigging in the morning on tops of the reef has been the most productive.
      In Ontario, walleye fishing has been very good jigging on top of reefs as well, with gold and orange being the hot colors.  Musky fishing has been heating up as muskies are moving to the reefs and windblown points.  Multiple muskies have been caught over 50 inches within the last week.
      Happy Independence Day!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      @chaffmj   Good luck out there!
    • guideman
      Tuesday will be post frontal with wind out of the northwest, not a great day for Muskies. Work the weeds and the deep edges of main lake points and rock structures.  Glttertails, and large hair can be effective along with medium sized gliders or minnow style shallow running crankbait. Don't forget to throw a topwater on occasion. "Ace" "It's just fishing man".  
    • PRO-V
      She might have a bad alternator too.
    • monstermoose78
      Agreed it’s always to get em on top water. I have even got some walleyes on top water.
    • Chill62
      Fished Saturday central Becker County lake for panfish.  5 mm Panfish Pirate jigs with Push Up (Orange Cream) Kraken plastics were the ticket.  Got out there after eating breakfast in Frazee and the fish were biting instantly.  We landed a ton of big gills and upgraded the girlfriend from who had 5 sunfish 8.5"-8.75" up to 9.0" then as we kept fishing we upgraded 9.0 up again to 9.25".  She was excited to say the least.  She probably landed 20 gills 9.0" or greater on saturday alone.  She landed a few 9.5" and they were denied via the photo because the nose wasn't touching the front of the board which is hog wash but it is what it is.  Saturday no wind water temps were 81.0 and fish were up in the weeds tight!  Didn't keep anything and fished till about 2 ish.
      Sunday I took my father and his friend out from Texas.  His friend doesn't fish much so when he had my top of the line UL rod in his hands he didn't know what to think.  Didn't take long though and he was on fire.  We each took a different color and I put dad on Push Up but they wanted Bubble Gum (Pink Cream).  I did get a few on Moby (White) but Push Up was the key color again.  We ended up only fishing from 9 till 11 and kept 8 bigger gills from 8.5-9" all the big boys were thrown back but enough for a few meals of fish is all we were going for and we accomplished that goal.     We will be hopefully fishing Friday evening if I can get off of work early enough and Saturday.  Tournament ends on Saturday so trying to upgrade a 9.25 to a 9.5" to hopefully secure 1st place in the tournament.     A more detailed report is in the Members Only page and I encourage people to please become a member and a lot of people are putting some really great reports on there for the members.
      Have a great week!
    • yoppdk
      Done that ... new Interstate just last winter. That was the perplexing part about it. I thought maybe it was a bad battery, but it tested out okay. I guess it's possible she doesn't always shut her door all the way and the dome light stays on for days, but she would never admit to that. So I give her the benefit of the doubt and blame her driving habits instead.
    • ozzie
      I hit the chain a few times during vacation 3rd-8th.  We didn't hit the crappies like they did earlier in the week but we caught a few along with a few nice sunnies to have a meal.  We went out once for eyes on lower WF and caught a nice 18" on a jigging rap but that is all we caught that day.  We did try to troll Gull one night and left after an hour an a half because the floating weeds were so bad.
    • leech~~
      I'm with yeah on the boat usage deal. But the wife's car usage deal sounds, well a little fishy! 😂  May be time for her to get a new battery before winter at least. 
    • Rick
      Anyone interested in deer can talk with area wildlife managers from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources at meetings scheduled across the state meant to encourage discussions about deer and deer management, enhance local relationships and foster two-way communication.  These area-level engagement meetings organized by the DNR are one of the first steps identified for implementing the state’s new White-tailed Deer Management Plan. ”The format of the meetings will be similar to the ones held in April, when our draft plan was released,” said Erik Thorson, DNR acting big game program leader. “The focus this time will be on the upcoming deer season, progress in meeting population goals, local DNR management efforts and listening to citizen suggestions on improving deer management.” These local open-house style meetings will provide hunters and others interested in deer a forum for sharing their observations, talking to DNR wildlife managers, reviewing new deer-related information – including the final deer plan – and discussing options for the future. No formal presentations have been planned, so people can arrive any time during the scheduled meeting times. The DNR encourages anyone who can’t attend a scheduled meeting to contact a local wildlife manager for additional information or to address any questions about deer management. A list of area wildlife offices is available online at mndnr.gov/areas/wildlife. More information about the state’s deer management plan is available at mndnr.gov/deerplan. Meeting details Aitkin: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 21, Aitkin Area Office, 1200 Minnesota Ave. Altura: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 29, Whitewater Wildlife Management Area Headquarters, 15035 Highway 74. Baudette: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 5, Baudette High School AV Room, 236 15th Ave. SW. Bemidji: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 21, Bemidji City Hall, 317 4th St. NW. Brainerd: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 22, Brainerd area DNR Office, 1601 Minnesota Drive. Cambridge: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 29, Cambridge area DNR Office, 800 Oak Savanna Lane SW. Cloquet: 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30, Cloquet Area DNR Office, 1604 Highway 33 S. Detroit Lakes: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28, Detroit Lakes Area DNR Office Conference Room, 14583 County Highway 19. Fergus Falls: 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, Fergus Falls Office DNR Conference Room, 1509 1st Ave. N. Forest Lake: 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30, Carlos Avery WMA Headquarters, 5463 W. Broadway Ave. Glenwood: 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 6, Glenwood DNR Office Conference Room, 23070 N. Lakeshore Drive. Grand Rapids: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28, Grand Rapids Regional DNR Office, 1201 East Highway 2. International Falls: 5-7 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28, International Falls Area DNR Office, 392 East Highway 11. Lake Bronson: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 4, Lake Bronson State Park Visitor’s Center, 3793 230th St. Little Falls: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 22, Little Falls Area DNR Office, 16543 Haven Road. McIntosh: 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30, McIntosh Community Center, 240 Cleveland Ave. SW. Middle River: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 22, Thief Lake Area DNR Office, 42280 240th Ave. NE. Minneota: 7-9 p.m. Monday, Aug. 27, Southwest Sportsmen’s Club, 3467 State Highway 68. New London: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28, DNR Wildlife Office (Sibley State Park), 398 Sibley Park Road. Onamia: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 29, Mille Lacs WMA Headquarters, 29172 100th Ave. Park Rapids: 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30, Park Rapids Area Library, 210 W. 1st St. Rochester: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 21, Willow Creek Middle School Cafeteria, 615 7th St. SW. Roseau: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11, Roseau County Courthouse, 606 5th Ave. SW. Rosemount: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 5, Vermillion WMA Office, 15325 Babcock Ave. Sauk Rapids: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28, Sauk Rapids Area DNR Office, 1035 S. Benton Drive. Shakopee: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 5, Shakopee Area DNR Office, 7050 East Highway 101. Slayton: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28, Slayton Pizza Ranch, 2306 Broadway Ave. St. Paul: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 29, DNR Central Office, 500 Lafayette Road. Thief River Falls: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 22, TRF Joint Operations Conference Room, 246 125th Ave. NE. Tower: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 15, Tower Area DNR Office, 650 Highway 169. Two Harbors: 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, Two Harbors Area DNR Office, 1568 Highway 2. Warroad: 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 6, Warroad DNR Forestry meeting room, 804 Cherne Drive NE. Waterville: 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, Waterville Fish Hatchery, 50317 Fish Hatchery Road. Watson: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 21, Appleton/Lac qui Parle DNR Headquarters, 14047 20th St. NW. Windom: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 29, Windom Community Center, 1750 Cottonwood Lake Drive. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • yoppdk
      I have had this same issue and came to the conclusion that I don't run the outboard enough to recharge the battery back to full capacity. I fish medium to smaller lakes and thus don't spend a whole lot of time at high speeds going across the lake ... just a short move here and there searching for fish. So I end up starting the engine  20-30 times per outing, but not running the outboard enough to get it back up to full voltage. And my Hummer shuts down when I crank the engine. So I now know that I need to put the charger on my starting battery at the end of the day. FYI, my wife has a similar issue with her SUV ... new Interstate battery keeps going down because she starts it, drives a couple miles ... stops, then starts it again and comes home. She rarely goes more than a couple miles per trip amd never over 30 mph. The alternator doesn't keep up with her use of the starter and thus gets low after a few weeks.