• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

I went for a drive scouting and asking permission to bird hunt over the weekend.  Spent hours in my driving just cruising gravel roads and knocking on doors.  I received permission to pheasant hunt at every spot I asked, except for one and that's only because no one was home.

Mixed reports from the landowners on wildlife abundance.  They all said that wild turkeys and deer are thriving, but pheasants were more hit or miss.  Some said they've been seeing some, including hens with broods.  Others said very few.

The corn in this area is very tall but its not that close to maturing yet, since it was planted late, and it hasn't really been that hot.  Its gonna be a late harvest.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
8 hours ago, gimruis said:

I went for a drive scouting and asking permission to bird hunt over the weekend.  Spent hours in my driving just cruising gravel roads and knocking on doors.  I received permission to pheasant hunt at every spot I asked, except for one and that's only because no one was home.

Mixed reports from the landowners on wildlife abundance.  They all said that wild turkeys and deer are thriving, but pheasants were more hit or miss.  Some said they've been seeing some, including hens with broods.  Others said very few.

The corn in this area is very tall but its not that close to maturing yet, since it was planted late, and it hasn't really been that hot.  Its gonna be a late harvest.

Nice report, sounds like you putting in the work. :cool:

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope you boys in East Central didn’t too beat up too bad by the storm last night!  

Major Connexus power outages still.  I have friends and family in the area; fortunately power loss is the only thing they’re having problems with.

IMG_8888.thumb.jpeg.7e590ff6d459e8ea932e02b53a398bb3.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I hope you boys in East Central didn’t too beat up too bad by the storm last night!  

Major Connexus power outages still.  I have friends and family in the area; fortunately power loss is the only thing they’re having problems with.

IMG_8888.thumb.jpeg.7e590ff6d459e8ea932e02b53a398bb3.jpeg

Dang, looks like a Mpls "Shots fired map"  :huh:  :D

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Dang, looks like a Mpls "Shots fired map"  :huh:  :D

🤣😂🥴😂

• Thumbs Up 1

The August roadside pheasant count is posted on the DNRs website and this specific region is up a whopping 70% from last year.  Musta had just the right amount of rain, but no major flooding.

Other areas to the west did not fare so well.

I did pretty good last season.  Hard to imagine it being 70% better.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

The August roadside pheasant count is posted on the DNRs website and this specific region is up a whopping 70% from last year.  Musta had just the right amount of rain, but no major flooding.

Other areas to the west did not fare so well.

I did pretty good last season.  Hard to imagine it being 70% better.

Not sure how much Turkeys and Pheasants compete, but it sure seems like there are a ton of Turkeys running around and it's rare to see many Pheasants anymore?  

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Not sure how much Turkeys and Pheasants compete, but it sure seems like there are a ton of Turkeys running around and it's rare to see many Pheasants anymore?  

I don't think they are competitors.  I think turkeys are hardier being that they're bigger birds.  Turkeys are also more adaptive.   I see a lot of wild turkeys living right in suburban/urban environments.  Pheasants, not so much.  Pheasants are more suseptible to winter mortality and drought or floods than turkeys are too.

The area I hunt for deer, turkey, and pheasant is a mixture of grassland, timber, and agriculture.  Quite often when I'm sitting in the deer stand I'll see all three species in any given day, with pheasants being the most numerous.

Pheasants are obviously much smaller so they can hide better too, visually from predators and from me and you.  When I scout for turkey hunting, I'm actually visually looking for turkeys and their roost.  When I scout and seek permission for pheasants, I am looking more for habitat.  Not the actual bird or birds.

I would personally rather pheasant hunt than turkey hunt, mostly because I prefer to walk around with my dog than to sit in a blind and wait.  But I like to turkey hunt in the spring too.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I’d guess in good pheasant habitat they’re doing alright but I know what you mean.  For me, turkeys have become common.  Pheasants and grouse, not as much.  I don’t get out to pheasant country much anymore but I’m in grouse country a lot.  Still see more turkeys.

Last weekend my brother was sighting in his new deer rifle.  Had to take a break when 11 turkeys just decided to come peck and scratch between him and the target for a while.  We shooed them off eventually but they came back.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 3

My uncle and dad said they aren’t seeing any young birds and not many up north. Bummer Hazel is ready and Finn wants some ducks .

• Thumbs Up 1

This spring I saw a lot of grouse and even a few broods. I'm hopeful for the upland season. Didn't see a whole lot of mallard ducklings this year but good numbers of wood ducks. I think the Canada geese numbers go up every year.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/7/2024 at 6:22 AM, Wanderer said:

I’d guess in good pheasant habitat they’re doing alright but I know what you mean.  For me, turkeys have become common.  Pheasants and grouse, not as much.  I don’t get out to pheasant country much anymore but I’m in grouse country a lot.  Still see more turkeys.

Last weekend my brother was sighting in his new deer rifle.  Had to take a break when 11 turkeys just decided to come peck and scratch between him and the target for a while.  We shooed them off eventually but they came back.

Supos that sight in spot, is right next to Nunya lake?  :pow:  :D

• Yayyyy 1

9 hours ago, Kettle said:

I've been meaning to make my way up that mountain...

Seems like a long way to climb, to sight in a gun! 😐

• Yayyyy 1

13 hours ago, Kettle said:

I'm not scared of Clifton Clowers...

Bet you would enjoy a nice paddle down the Cahulawassee River, too then. 😏

• Yayyyy 2