• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone have any cabin projects that they have done, are doing, or plan to do as the weather turns cold?

I need to finish the tree house (basically a platform deer stand) for my daughter, and put a new storm door on the cabin.

Cigar Guy - did you get that new dock landing poured?

Del wouldn't help me, so I had Manicks do it:).  They were too busy with fall projects, but got a email that they were caught up and with the warmer weather, they were able to do it late last week. They have it covered now, so when it's fully cured I can see what I have to work with to finish the steps down by the new pad.  Seems like I've been doing projects all summer, might just split wood, hunt and relax till spring.  Still need to finish staining 2 sides of the cabin, maybe another coat on the garage.  Having a hard time getting the stain to match on the cabin, with the way power washing removed some of the previous stain.  Also, next year going to have to replace one of the large windows on the lakeside of the cabin.  Sounds like you have a fun project making the tree house for your daughter!

On 11/7/2016 at 9:00 PM, CigarGuy said:

Also, next year going to have to replace one of the large windows on the lakeside of the cabin.

That should be fun. My 4'x4' upper window had a crack so replaced it in spring of 2015. Of course, not having road access I had to boat it across and it turned out to be a windy night with decent waves. Miraculously it didn't shatter on the trip over, and despite being cut slightly larger than my opening we were able to get it in. Good luck with your window fix!

When I boat by your place this weekend I'll hopefully catch a view of your new pad.

What's everyone else doing? Staying inside this winter?!?

Hello Friends,

I wish I had winter projects, but we really didn't build the cabin for winter use, but that brings up a question, what would need to be done to be able to inhabit the cabin during the winter? We are on an island just south of the SW point of Hinsdale (dock on Smarts/ Western view of Frazer)

Any insight would be welcomed and BTW, I do know the cabin was very very well insulated

Andy

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, PSU said:

Hello Friends,

I wish I had winter projects, but we really didn't build the cabin for winter use, but that brings up a question, what would need to be done to be able to inhabit the cabin during the winter? We are on an island just south of the SW point of Hinsdale (dock on Smarts/ Western view of Frazer)

Any insight would be welcomed and BTW, I do know the cabin was very very well insulated

Andy

Do you already have a heat source? Propane, electricity?

Do you need running water? Water source type, well or lake?  If well, how deep is your pipe underground?

septic system type, holding tank or do you have a drain field?

I recently changed our cabin from seasonal to year round.  If you could provide more info I would be glad to share my solutions.

We have electric heating, and we pump water in from the lake. Our plumbing underneath the cabin is exposed. We also have very good insulation. I spoke with GTS yesterday and they I would need heat tape (?) on our water lines and to probably enclose the bottom of the cabin or at least the exposed pipes. Would prefer to have running water to shower.

We also have a mound system for our septic with two tanks (I think)

My guess is you would need a more powerful heat system.    I am not sure how one keeps a lake water system from freezing.   If you heat the pump enclosure and heat tape the pipes, you would be ok if you left the heat on all the time.    Are the pipes self draining?      Got an easy way to drain the water heater?  Or would you heat the cabin all winter?

I have a friend who has set his cabin up for intermittent winter use.   Main heat is a propane fireplace, rated for furnace use I think.  But there are a lot of detailed things, and he now has a well instead of the lake system.

We haul in blue jugs for fresh water on winter trips. We don't have indoor plumbing so it makes the whole freezing thing a lot easier. You would definitely need to insulate the pipes if you plan on using toilets and showers. Otherwise if you just need to use a sink and have an outhouse available, you could just remove the trap and drain into a bucket. Then you wouldn't need to insulate pipes, deal with the water heater, etc.

Getting the water system to enable hot showers in the winter without a well is possibly doable, depending on topography.    A Porta Potti and a camping type bag shower or one of the fancier battery/propane ones would be a lot easier.    Sounds like your septic is ok for winter so that simplifies the problem. 

The cheap setup....

loo.png

shower.jpg

Or a more functional but more expensive alternative

loo2.png

shower2.png

Just examples.....

You could most likely use your inside toilet if you wish.  Just need to fill the reservoir manually when you want to flush, this does require more water consumption though.  Before our cabin was winter ready we used to bring our own water in blue jugs, and then refill at the greenwood township building.  They have an outside spigot that is freeze proof and available to the public.