• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2016 Deer Stories and Updates

ANYFISH2

I can get them clean in about 5-6 hours

I still have to give it a peroxide bath to whiten

But I just bring a large pot to a boil with some dawn dish soap ( the blue kind works best ) 

While that is simmering I skin the head and saw as far up as I can on the spinal cord

Then I throw in the pot and go watch tv or drink some beer.

Come back in like 4 hours take out cut the meat off around the lower jaw to take off (chuck the lower jaw in the garbage.)

Put back in pot for another hour or so

Drink more beer

put on some work clothes fire up the power washer and go to town ( you will get covered in bits of brain eye and meat but who cares)

If I think it is still a little greasy I will let it sit in some fresh water with some dawn dish soap again over night

If I don't think it is greasy still I just get a turkey pan and put some 25 - 30 % peroxide in the bottom take a small brush and keep applying coats until desired whiteness I want to do something like this with it I just have to remember to grab some barn wood when I go to the farm tomorrow.

Speaking of which I plan to hunt the Dayton area tomorrow and try to fill a bonus tag or two. Will give report how they are moving in that area after.

bab99c0129f9a7baca04d40c2629b9ef.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Behind the little doe was this little 8 point buck. Yep he was in big trouble.

IMG_0689.PNG

• Thumbs Up 4

So far for 8 guys we got 2 8 pointers so far. My brother got this 8 on Sunday. 

IMG_0690.PNG

• Thumbs Up 2

Update my uncle who hunts all day sun up to sun down got this 4 pointer today.

IMG_0706.PNG

• Thumbs Up 3

That brings the total to 3 for 8 but 4 only hunted the first weekend. So for the 4 of us who had the whole week we are 3 for 4.

Opening day in 347 was slower than normal for me, due to the calm warm weather. I had gimme shots inside of forty yards on not one but two deer, but one was a fork and the other a very small six-pointer, so with APR the law of the land down here by Iowa they got to walk away.

Had one of this spring's fawns in the wheelhouse for a good fifteen minutes Saturday afternoon while she ate corn out of the picked field in front of my stand, but I let her walk away to grow up.

What activity I did see Saturday was mostly after noon, peaking at sunset. Early morning was dead both Saturday and Sunday.

Most of the corn in my area of Fillmore County was out, but my renter had to leave fifteen acres or so in due to wet ground. I was saving walking that for Monday, but when going back to my truck to eat I made one pass through the corn each way on Saturday, just because I had to either go around it or through it, and going through it was quicker. Plus, with a little luck I just might step on a deer bedded down in there. ;)

I found nothing on my two trips through the corn on Saturday, but heading back to my truck on Sunday I stepped in to a row and found a nice doe laying twenty yards away from me. Once I was sure there were no antlers on her I popped her. Season over.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well sat in Dayton tonight again looking for a doe sat in my ground hut in the woods. with nothing in sight 5 mins before shooting closed I decided to slip out and see if I can see any as I am close to the edge of an open area where we have a small food plot and beyond that we left beans in the field. Anyway right when I get out of the hut I see a deer to the right cutting across to the open area so I swing up and get it in my scope but cant tell if it is a doe or buck so I decided I am going down the trail I am on to try to meet it in the open area to get a better look. Well I am crouching and swiftly walking down the trail get to almost where I want and there it is standing broad side I take a knee and lift up, with my scope on vitals I am ready to pull the trigger but of course I stopped in the one and only spot that had a low hanging branch in the way and the deers head is hidden behind a mess of twings. I needed to get 3 more steps out! by now I only have about a minute of shooting time left. This deer is looking tasty so I decide I am going to try to move up to get passed the mess of branches well I take two steps and now the deer hears me faces to me and sticks its head up. I am looking through my scope and have my cross hairs right on its chest I want to pull the trigger so bad but I keep looking and looking and looking do I see antlers but of course now my back drop is cut corn so any antlers blend in to the back drop. I keep telling my self move deer move so I can see it started to move its head up and down and I can see a fait white of what appears to be antlers. By now my shooting hour window is over so I decided I have no more time to see for sure and that it must be a little spike buck. I don't care if he bust me or not at this point so I stand up get snorted at as he runs away and I continue back to the farm with a little excitement for the night.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well I finished my season last night...I spent all day hunting. I started in the morning on the S end of the land I hunt with the SW wind.  I had not been to the N woods on the land all bow season as I didn't want to ruin the area and I have a bruised ankle which makes it painful to walk on uneven ground.  Well yesterday afternoon was setting up to be the only NW wind that I was going to get to hunt with the gun so I made the change to the N woods stand at about 12:30.  Lets back up to last January when we had the terribly cold day -30 or something I went to the land and machete my way from a north swamp through the woods past my stand as I felt the land was so overgrown that the deer weren't using trails like they traditionally had.  so I cut a lane wide enough for a nice deer to walk through. Well  I sat all afternoon and then at 3:30 a combine starts combining in the field of standing corn next to my stand. This could be good or bad but I would wait it out till dark and see if anything comes by.  Well back in September I had a picture of a buck that fueled my inspiration for hunting this season and at 4:40 it walks into a small shooting window I had that came from the corn field being combined.  I saw antler and then put the scope on it right behind the shoulder and squeezed off a round right before it got to that trail I cut and would have walked out of sight.  It ran 30 yards and expired.  When I got down to track it I couldn't believe my eyes that the trail I cut in the winter was heavily used and this big boy had been using it regularly by the looks of it!!  My season is done on a 12 pointer and biggest deer I have ever shot and possibly will ever shoot!!!  Patience after 3 long years has paid off!!!  pics soon 

• Thumbs Up 2

nice one!

Well today is the elm creek shotgun hut as I didn't get picked our farm is across the road from the park and the deer usually dip out of the park and run the tree line and through the woods into the swamp for salvation. We have 3 guys put here to cover the ground 4 doe tags and 1 buck tag to use. Have not seen a single deer! And only heard a couple shots in the park! Usually its like a war zone in there. Hopefully tonight they chase some out!

• Thumbs Up 1

I am in the woods that tree line next to the open field leads to the park if anything comes out I should be the first to see!

WP_20161112_12_24_22_Pro.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

No deer shot this morning although my hunting partner Bill, did seen two does.  He first deer seen of the season.  I am still am skunked on the stand.:(

Off to my son's 1st hockey game of the season, I will be back out in the morning.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

Well the DeZurik(and friend) firearms season is now over.  

The season was as always was a success.  Time spent with my wife and kids in the woods would have only been sweeter with my mom and dad there.  But as circumstances be, my folks never got into hunting this year.  One our camp founders, my uncle Doug, passed away the Tuesday before opener.

For the season on our little piece of public paradise, my wife was able to see 7 deer. Being it was about the kids getting the opportunity first, she never got the opportunity to shoot.

My daughter Abigail, was able to see 2 deer, a doe and fawn.  She had a chance to shot at the doe, unfortunately not connecting on Sunday evening.  It appears she shot right under it.  She's a good shot on paper, maybe nerves got her.

My son Isaac, had theopportunity to see 3 deer while on stand.  A six point chasing a doe, as well as a spike buck on opening morning while hunting with his mom.  He spent the rest of his time sitting with me, never seeing another.  He definitely seems to be into it.  He couldn't make it out this weekend to to a bout with pink eye, and his start to his hockey season.

My buddy Bill, had a slow start to the season.  Not seeing a deer the entire first 3 days.  This weekend he was able to see 3 deer, All does.  His season ended by shooting a tree, instead of the deer behind it!

Myself, it took me until this morning to see a deer from the stand!  Being blanked all first weekend, all of Friday, and Sat. Morning.  The strange thing is I seen 8 deer while walking to and from camp.  It sure seemed that other than Amanda's stand our other just were not positioned right.  That brings us to this morning, my wife's stand has this special quality to it, it must be hunted the last day of season!  In the 16 years my wife has hunted with us,we have hunted the last Sunday 10 years.  We have now shot 7 deer on the last morning of season from that stand.  And had deer there EVERY year.  It is crazy to see how automatic it is!  We flip coins when she isn't there for her stand on the last day.

It was my turn this year, and it didn't fail us!  I seen 4 deer this morning, 2 does, 1 fawn, 1 small buck.  Have shot opportunities at all.  I decided to shoot a good doe this morning.  Later passing on a doe and the buck, because of hearing Bill shoot.  It was only him and I so only our two tags, I didnt want more down than we could.  And of course, he is last person on the planet, that doesn't have a cell phone.  So, there was no way to know for sure.  So we left a few for seed.

Overall a great season as always.

My final day doe:

20161113_113710.jpg

Looks nice and fat. Good work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well sitting at the farm all day came up empty no deer came running out of the park like usual. We went to the check in station after we were done to see the results of the day. They have a map where people are hunting as well. Only 3 people were hunting the northern part by us! that would explain the lack of stirred up deer. The park hunt total for that day was 55. I decided against hunting Sunday as they stop chisel plowing for us on sat and were going to Sunday too but I told them to just get it done.

Hopefully this week with a little bit of weather change I can connect on a doe yet!

Boy, I remember hunting around there back in my high school  and early working days. That was back in the late eighties and early nineties. I shot my first deer just West of French lake. It was land that we rented to farm. I grew up in the Dayton/Rogers area. Seen some nice deer around there. Hope you get your deer Zach. Good Luck!!!

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:44 PM, jerkbait said:

Boy, I remember hunting around there back in my high school  and early working days. That was back in the late eighties and early nineties. I shot my first deer just West of French lake. It was land that we rented to farm. I grew up in the Dayton/Rogers area. Seen some nice deer around there. Hope you get your deer Zach. Good Luck!!!

I am just east of French lake my family has been farming that area since the dawn of time haha.

You most likely know some of my family if you grew up in the area. I will give you a hint my last name is also the name of a restaurant that has the best prime rib around. It is right next to sun dance golf course.

I have not got my doe out of there yet but I have shot a buck and doe else where. But you are correct there are some absolute monsters around.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah yes got it. The were a few families with that last name around the area. Our farm was over on Brockton lane about mile south of co rd 144. My step dad still lives there next to the farm. They have sold the farm and land now. It sure has changed there since I moved away.

• 2 weeks later...