• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Down & Out Flip

papadarv

Question

I build a 6 x 12 wheel house a couple years ago. Decided it would be desirable to add a bit of space when more than 3 of us went fishing together where we could fish without the additional portable hubs. Came up with an idea expanding on the other flip/hubs on the market only this one is attached to my wheel house.

I built an inexpensive prototype where I would just trash it in the event it did not work out. Turns out it worked quite well and now moving forward on a quilted insulated version. I did a provisional patent on the unit and did the attached video in attempt to market the idea. Several are not interested.

http://vid358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/darvbethke/DaO 4-24 SM webop.mp4

And a couple of Pics from Ottertail Lake last winter.

20160206_141936_resized (400x225).jpg

20160206_142157_resized (400x225).jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

7 answers to this question

I think its a good idea but cost overhead and a limited market don't fair well for these kinds of things. But that's just my opinion. With more people using these in the summer a screen type addition might be more desirable.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Walleyehooker said:

I think its a good idea but cost overhead and a limited market don't fair well for these kinds of things. But that's just my opinion. With more people using these in the summer a screen type addition might be more desirable.

I agree winter option limited market summer screen option (drawing at end of video) better market. Winter option material less than the Clam 6 pack hub and much simpler sewing/assembly. Estimate Insulated option sell price in range of today's hubs and screen less as material cost less. I did a provisional patent protected for one year $265 fee so not a big financial loss if no one is interested in making this. I do have two companies showing interest. 

Doesn't Canvas Craft already have something like this?

Just looked a Canvas Craft site, they do make this very thing. It's called the "Wheel House Add-a-Room".

2 hours ago, castmaster said:

Doesn't Canvas Craft already have something like this?

Just looked a Canvas Craft site, they do make this very thing. It's called the "Wheel House Add-a-Room".

Not quite the same. The Add-a-room is zipper attached to an awning. You need to unpack and attach and remove/store the material inside the fish house when your done. Down and Out Flip is uniquely and totally attached attached to the outside of the house. Effectively somewhat same end result in that both provide additional enclosed fishing space. Not much different than an Ice Castle, Yetti, Ridgeline etc. in wheelhouses. They are all retractable wheelhouse ice houses but all are different with unique patents.

People have been folding paper for hundreds of years with many patents. Since 2003 I have several U.S. and International patents on new paper folds. Google "Reverse eccentric double parallel" or "Double Postcard Pressure seal Form Construction"

20 hours ago, papadarv said:

Not quite the same. The Add-a-room is zipper attached to an awning. You need to unpack and attach and remove/store the material inside the fish house when your done. Down and Out Flip is uniquely and totally attached attached to the outside of the house. Effectively somewhat same end result in that both provide additional enclosed fishing space. Not much different than an Ice Castle, Yetti, Ridgeline etc. in wheelhouses. They are all retractable wheelhouse ice houses but all are different with unique patents.

People have been folding paper for hundreds of years with many patents. Since 2003 I have several U.S. and International patents on new paper folds. Google "Reverse eccentric double parallel" or "Double Postcard Pressure seal Form Construction"

They do have that style that attaches to an awning, but they also have a regular frame set up that operates as a flip over. They make them for wheel houses and SnoBears.

Check out their site, the different styles are pictured under the "add a room". 

Papadarv....Hopefully my comments didn't come across like I was ripping your udea, or saying you copied Canvas Crafts idea etc. Was just pointing it out as it may be one of the reasons you've found it tough to find builders looking to add your product.