• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

delcecchi
10 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

That was my son cooking up my birthday dinner!  I'm older and have more grey hair (a lot more) than dark.  Be sure to say "hello-I'm Del" :) if you see me!  Will be back up for a few extra days over Labor Day.

See you next year, we are pulling out this week and it sounds like you were only up for the weekend.   Sorry I didn't quite have the nerve to climb the steps and introduce myself.   I guess I am not big on just showing up at the door. 

SkunkedAgain

When CigarGuy first showed up on these forums, I stopped by and introduced myself but I think that he was either on his dock or just hopping into the boat. I haven't visually seen him in a few years, but I did see the Mrs. Cigar Guy and another assembling a sitting bench earlier this summer! Some day I'll stop by to share a cocktail.

As for the people boating in close, here are my two Vermilion observations:

1) There are known spots on Vermilion. People go to those whether there are zero boats or ten boats there. If I am on a known spot, I don't get upset when others show up and fish close. If I am working a non-typical spot and others show up because they see you catch a fish, I do get a bit testy as well.

2) Navigation channels tend to hold fish, attracting boats that are fishing and boats that are moving. As a fisherman, I accept that people are going to boat close by in established navigation paths. I do get upset when people go through tight areas on plane or even just below it. I always try to follow a no-wake policy when going through tight areas such as Fectos or others. Our place is in Black Bay and the pinch between Black Bay and the Partridge River typically has boats. I'll come off plane and go nice and slow past boats. Treat others as you want to be treated.

Preaching to the choir....I know

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

delcecchi

I will add that it is nothing like the old days when throwing a marker was practically life threatening.....

But that is west end.   If it wasn't for the musky  guys there would only be like three of us...

• Haha 1

CigarGuy
13 hours ago, delcecchi said:

See you next year, we are pulling out this week and it sounds like you were only up for the weekend.   Sorry I didn't quite have the nerve to climb the steps and introduce myself.   I guess I am not big on just showing up at the door. 

Del, are you done up here for the year?  Missing the best part of the year!  If you see me on the dock or out on the lake..say hi!  I wouldn't just drop in and introduce myself either-not my style.  Don't have to worry too much about anybody climbing the mountain to do that:)

delcecchi

Yep, done for the year.  Not much for heat or insulation in the cabin.  It's a real, honest to goodness cabin.  

So, as of Thursday, adios.  Until next year, etc.

CigarGuy
10 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

When CigarGuy first showed up on these forums, I stopped by and introduced myself but I think that he was either on his dock or just hopping into the boat. I haven't visually seen him in a few years, but I did see the Mrs. Cigar Guy and another assembling a sitting bench earlier this summer! Some day I'll stop by to share a cocktail.

As for the people boating in close, here are my two Vermilion observations:

1) There are known spots on Vermilion. People go to those whether there are zero boats or ten boats there. If I am on a known spot, I don't get upset when others show up and fish close. If I am working a non-typical spot and others show up because they see you catch a fish, I do get a bit testy as well.

2) Navigation channels tend to hold fish, attracting boats that are fishing and boats that are moving. As a fisherman, I accept that people are going to boat close by in established navigation paths. I do get upset when people go through tight areas on plane or even just below it. I always try to follow a no-wake policy when going through tight areas such as Fectos or others. Our place is in Black Bay and the pinch between Black Bay and the Partridge River typically has boats. I'll come off plane and go nice and slow past boats. Treat others as you want to be treated.

Preaching to the choir....I know

Skunked, It was nice meeting you.  I've seen you,  your wife and little one a few times, but you never waved-thought you might be mad at me after we had a little debate on netting.  Sounds like were good!  Stop by if you see me on the dock.  That was my wife and sister in-law assembling the bench.

That pinch area on the river is tight and some folks tend to fly right thru.  Also, people fishing on that dock in the pinch down area in the spring, don't like to reel in their bobber when you try to navigate through the boats in the spring.  I used the fish the St Louis River a lot and fellow fisherman were terrible flying by you.  I too follow the no-wake policy when going through tight areas.

Wakemup

How do you guys like to fish the west end as we transition into September and early fall? My next planned time at the cabin will be Labor day, I'm sure it'll be plenty busy on the lake but hoping to find a few quiet spots in the mornings and evenings to do some walleye fishing.

SkunkedAgain
12 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

Skunked, It was nice meeting you.  I've seen you,  your wife and little one a few times, but you never waved-thought you might be mad at me after we had a little debate on netting.  Sounds like were good!  Stop by if you see me on the dock.  That was my wife and sister in-law assembling the bench.

Jeez no. I can barely remember the netting discussion, let alone which side that I was arguing!

Yup, you can see us cruising past quite often probably intent on satisfying the little one's quest for some ice cream at Moosebirds. She loves Sue and Ron. I'll definitely wave or stop by if I see you. I'll be up the next two weekends.

delcecchi
2 hours ago, Wakemup said:

How do you guys like to fish the west end as we transition into September and early fall? My next planned time at the cabin will be Labor day, I'm sure it'll be plenty busy on the lake but hoping to find a few quiet spots in the mornings and evenings to do some walleye fishing.

Back in the old days..... before I retired and we used to come up labor day, I used to fish steep breaks into deep water.  My favorite spot was the north/west tip of Schmidts Island.   There is a little flat than breaks into like 40 feet out in front, more or less, of the dock that goes with the little chalet style cabin.   There are probably other spots along that headolakes shore of the island that are good, so check it out with modern electronics.  

I don't know if that area is still working or not.   Jigging raps might work there.  I used a rig with a pretty heavy sinker so I could tip toe over the rocks up and down the break.  

Caught what was my PB walleye for a long time on that spot.   Neighbor got a 30 incher somewhere along there. 

This is all historical, so maybe not much help anymore. 

BTW I typically fished there in the evening.   Never really tried it during the day. 

Edited by delcecchi
  • Thumbs Up 2

OhioVike

I start trolling raps with lead core in September,   look for active fish on the mud flats.  You can cover a lot of ground and produce a lot of fish. Some people think it is a boring way to fish, but I think it is a great change of pace and far more effective this time of year when fish seem to be more scattered.  I have not fished much over where Del has suggested but I am sure there are spots there. Niles Bay works too.  

delcecchi

This is the first year I experimented with lead core.  Normally I rig when fishing walleye.  Walleye are something I fish for part time, typically for a couple hours in the evening.  

Wakemup

Digging up the west end reports thread for those interested...

After a few evenings of unsuccessful walleye fishing, I switched to smallies and had a pretty good weekend. Nothing huge (had a nice big one come up to the boat and swing and miss never to be seen again) but lots of numbers with rising water temps. I found 71-72 in Wakemup today and eager to get back again next weekend. 

I decided to try getting into musky fishing this year a little more seriously and hoping to boat my first next weekend. 

Raven77

Headed up Wednesday for several days and planning to fish smallies and muskies on the west end.  Looks like the weather should be good.

CigarGuy

With the kids up this wknd, grandma and grandpa got to watch our new and only grandchild during the day while the kids used the boat.  They caught enough smallmouth to keep them busy, no walleyes.  The boys and I went out early evening and managed a couple eyes each night. Last night my wife and I caught 1 walleye and several smallies -we were only out from 7-9pm,  Only able to keep one of the walleyes, others were in the slot.  Most of the fish were caught between the islands by Wakemup/H.O.L. bay. All on leaches.  

partyonpine

Any crappie reports, are they still shallow, lifetime east ender going to do some exploring up in the west end.  I have had a cabin on the lake my entire 36 years and I have caught less than 10 crappie really would like to be able to find them up there for the nieces.

SkunkedAgain

CigarGuy - I saw a few young folks in your boat at the dock and figured that wasn't you! I'm keeping an eye out for you and will stop by as promised the next time I see you milling around the dock. Did you have much luck bobber fishing from your place after opener?

Pat McGraw

Party on Pine, We found crappies in Black Bay on opener and in Norwegian last weekend. They may still be in Black Bay. I just didn't go there last weekend. Look for a good break to 7' (may have to settle for less on Black Bay) and deadfall or bulrushes (not cattails). Pitch crappie minnows on a number 6 hook (white if you have them) into less than 3' with ~18" of line under the float and work deeper from there. Need to cast right against the timber or front of bulrushes. If nothing on initial cast draw back a foot or two and stop. If still no action set line to 3 or 4' and try deep edge of spot. I've taken crappie in the deeper water just off these features. Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

CigarGuy
4 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

CigarGuy - I saw a few young folks in your boat at the dock and figured that wasn't you! I'm keeping an eye out for you and will stop by as promised the next time I see you milling around the dock. Did you have much luck bobber fishing from your place after opener?

That would be my daughter/husband, son/girlfriend.  We let them have the day shift on the lake, I went out from 7pm till dark.  My dock was and still is a bust this year. Neighbor-a couple docks away has been getting a few walleyes a night off his dock using leeches. Opener, we got into some nice crappies in Black Bay, didn't try it this past weekend, hope that wasn't a mistake. I really enjoy catching nice size crappies! Looking forward to a visit with you!

SkunkedAgain

We hit the crappies at opener too, as it was definitely tougher walleye fishing (although we found those deep). The crappies were a nice size but like you, I didn't try this past weekend. I was hitting the pike and smallies pretty good when I wasn't trying to get my 4-wheeler started.

CLOTAGAMES

Crappies were biting wed-thur before memorial day. All over 12".  West End Crappies

2018-05-24_16-01-04_804 (2).jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

CLOTAGAMES

Few more crappie pictures. Had a number of these long slimy fish mixed in with them also. They are hard on 4-6 lb. test equipment.

2018-05-23_10-59-41_595 (3).jpg

2018-05-25_13-24-08_372 (3).jpg

2018-05-24_15-14-53_331 (1).jpeg

• Thumbs Up 4

Cliff Wagenbach

Looks like your party had a great fishing trip!

Nice crappies and pike!

Cliff

BRL
On 6/1/2018 at 4:08 PM, CLOTAGAMES said:

Crappies were biting wed-thur before memorial day. All over 12".  West End Crappies

2018-05-24_16-01-04_804 (2).jpg

Very nice. Right on the reeds in front of the cabins?

• Thumbs Up 1

bassbouncer

The past couple days have been decent  on the west end. I’ve not spent that many hours out there but last night I caught 19-1/2, 21, (3)22’s and a 24. Couple hours this morning and this afternoon I caught a 16, 19, and (2) 24’s and my son caught (2) 24’s. Leeches on a rig

• Thumbs Up 3