• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Refresh my memory... If we just go into Trout Lake for the day, we are not required to get a permit in advance. We just fill out the form at the portage. Is that correct?

Fish Head,

I believe that only applies to winter entry.

Cliff

Day trip canoe only can fill out and use permit at portage. October 1 - April 30 permits at portage cover all trips. We have all been driving to Cook for permits so Y-store would be great. 

I think day use motor or camping requires a permit, not self service. 

Is it the LaCroix Ranger Station where you pick up the permits now?

Yes just north of Cook. 

They are open 7 days 8:00-4:30.

Y-store is open 5am - midnight.

I belive you need to pick up permit day before you enter when getting a motor day use permit that's how it works on snowbank 

Motor use day or camping. 

Pick up day before or day of,

May1-September 30.

Fill out permit at entrance and put in box when exiting or mail in. 

October 1-April 30

• Thumbs Up 1

Headed up just for the day on Monday. Any advice for fishing Trout this weekend? Feel free to message me.

Enjoy your day in paradise Monday, Fred will be working. 

Trout have moved down, I would fish 50-80 feet. I use hammered silver back with bright colored spoons. Cisco are schooling up so find them you will find Trout. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like you might be able to get your day permit online as well.  You just select your point of entrance as Trout Lake.  I've never used this so I can't be 100% sure.  Worth a shot.  We are probably heading in with kids on Saturday July 8th for my first time.

Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (Reservations), MN

You can reserve on line but still need to pick it up

• 1 month later...

Heading up to TL next weekend with my family. Going in Saturday morning Aug 19, coming out sunday evening.  Kids are 6 and 9 years old.  Probably won't do much fishing, but i've heard there's some decent bluegill fishing?  Any tips on where to find them?  

Wheres_Walter

I have not been in to Trout since early July but the two islands in portage bay directly across from the portage I had some real good luck in there for some nice keeper gills.  Otherwise the north arm in the far northeast part of it is where I usually do the best for them, the best part about targeting Bluegills, at least for me, is that you will catch Smallmouth as well.  Good luck it should be a blast.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I have not given up on opener yet. Looking back to the 2013 opener we hauled boats on opening day. I am getting a air boat ride to our Pine Island home Friday. The people who fish Little Trout will be anxiously waiting. 

Lonnie 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

First boat in Trout this morning. Dorian came out to much ice. Next boat went to Pine. Portage is open. Check with us on ice conditions.

44153A73-A9DC-4472-B2D4-85AD739C22E2.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Photo is worth a thousand words.  I assume that is Trout Lake with Sioux Pine Island, Norway Point, and 5 Sisters Islands in the middle.

That looks like Little Trout at the top of the shot. It is a great picture!

• Thumbs Up 1

That's very interesting...  Ice was supposedly out in Woodland Caribou park, up by red lake...  and here is ice a couple hundred miles south.  Oh well, it's a couple weeks before we go to quetico... 

Boats made it to the entrance of Little trout this evening. Trout still has ice but most can be boated through. We open at 7:00 in the morning. 218-404-6524 Thanks Lonnie

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been fishing troutlake haven't fished it since I was a teenager . Was wondering how fishing is during July and August easy day fishing trip for me as I live close to tower less than a hour drive 

• 2 weeks later...

Lonny or if someone else can answer do you charge more in Sept to make the special trips or is it the standard rate.  Also on a side note took my two citified nieces up there over the 4th for the day and we absolutely killed the Small mouth and even got a bonus trout, they have both asked when the next time we are going up there.  10 and 7.

Tumy 

Also depends on what you are looking for, the bass fishing will be fantastic find island cast around said island catch 25 bass. HAH  The bluegills might be a little deeper that time of the year.  Walleyes I have two spots I would try that time of year but have never had much success in July and August, that also might be I do it for an hour and 5 pound small mouth start dancing through my head.

Edited by partyonpine