• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to the area

Hello everyone. Just moved back to MN (St Cloud) from CA and id love to take my kids ice fishing (theyve never been) before theres no more ice left. Looking for suggestions on a lake close to St Cloud, easy on, easy off for a few hours of fishing to get them out there.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome to the site :).

Pearl, Grand, Pleasant, Briggs Chain, and the Horseshoe Chain of Lakes are all great options. Good Luck, and keep us posted on how you do.

I would suggest walking out after the temps we've had yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Welcome to FM JSenn.  have fun out there!

Goodners would be an easy walk out for the kids and close to St Cloud.   Decent panfish lake for the kids. 

Lots of options on the chain, just be careful if you are not familiar with the area.  

Lastly, one of my favorites with less crowd is Sag at St John's. No gas augers and walk out only.  Good panfish Lake.  Bit of a walk, though.

I agree, leave the vehicle on dry land and use good old fashion legs!

If you want to just catch numbers for the kids and don't care what you catch, PM me and I'll send you a map with mark for a perch spot on the chain. 10 min walk out from public access.   Small fish but you can catch fish on every drop.  Fun for the kids.  

Welcome back to the area!

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, JSenn said:

Hello everyone. Just moved back to MN (St Cloud) from CA and id love to take my kids ice fishing (theyve never been) before theres no more ice left. Looking for suggestions on a lake close to St Cloud, easy on, easy off for a few hours of fishing to get them out there.

Any help would be appreciated.

JSenn, what do you have for Ice fishing gear? Not sure how old the kids are but bring snacks, drinks and lots of warm stuff for them, chairs to sit on etc. Don't want them turned off on their first ever Ice trip if Dad is not prepared. Good Luck.

Edited by leech~~

Thank you all. I was reading reports of some decent crappie action on Pleasant. The panfish is mostly what im looking for since its the kids' first time and panfish are always fun.

Right now I have no gear but a trip to Fleet Farm will fix that. I grew up in MN and my Dad is a very avid fisherman. Last time I went ice fishing though was a few years ago my dad and I spent three nights in a shack in Zippel Bay. I definitely plan on bringing snacks etc...

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, JSenn said:

Thank you all. I was reading reports of some decent crappie action on Pleasant. The panfish is mostly what im looking for since its the kids' first time and panfish are always fun.

Right now I have no gear but a trip to Fleet Farm will fix that. I grew up in MN and my Dad is a very avid fisherman. Last time I went ice fishing though was a few years ago my dad and I spent three nights in a shack in Zippel Bay. I definitely plan on bringing snacks etc...

I would head over to Fleet soon before all the Ice stuff is gone or the Ice is! :(

If it's gone or you just to much to buy all at once let us know.  Cannot speak for anyone else, but I'll be glad to help you get your kids out on the ice if it's still safe.  

I know how much my kids love going and am happy to share so other kids can go and learn to fish!

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you all so much. I have to work a lot of overtime this weekend so this weekend is a bust, hoping the ice will hold for a couple more weeks, if not theres plenty of fishing in the summer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say we are in for some new record ice outs. Hard to believe last years ice out dates will be beat.

Unreal winter, or should I say lack there of.......

Bring out the planks, wadders, ladders, and canoes. I'm looking forward to open water around those west and north shorelines first. Ice fishing at it's BEST!

Then bring out the long rods :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Yea, I think the ice will be in rough shape localy if the 10 day forcast holds true. The lake I was on yesterday only had about 12in of ice left. There are a few lakes to the west of town that have around 15-20 inches left....but that will go quick if there is rain and wind.  I'm not quite ready to give up on ice fishing.... but am looking forward to warmer days spent on the river:)

• Thumbs Up 3

If you have vacation time, next week would be a good time to use it. ;)  The best part about this time of year....no bugs!

Nels

9 hours ago, Rick G said:

I'm not quite ready to give up on ice fishing.... but am looking forward to warmer days spent on the river:)

Amen. I'm anxiously waiting for carp and suckers to start biting.

welcome, all good lakes mentioned, the 3 spunk lakes in Avon will put out fish, 

pm if you want any info