• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sauk river by Cold Spring Open?

mrpike1973

Does the lake open closer to Cold Spring first? Just wondering if I should watch the 22 access in Richmond or more so by Cold Spring Thanks.

Have you tried below the Cold Spring dam? Pretty sure it's wide open by now. Lots of cats, suckers and even a few crappies

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It open below the dam.  In fact it is most of the winter.  I'd add carp, sunfish, pike, largemouth, rock and smallmouth bass to the list of fish that hang out there.  Used to be a lot of bullheads, but the cats thinned them out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I drove up Tuesday looks like with the weather I may be able to get on the boat by Cold Spring. I like ice but after this year I'm ready for the boat.

I'll add there should be walleye in there. Never fished below the dam. However, 2 years ago dad and I launched at the park just downstream before sunup for some mallard hunting.  Our headlamps were luminating a ton of walleye eyes in a deeper hole downstream 50 yds...have had an itch to go back there and fish it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for all the comments!. Keep me posted please it saves me 35 miles driving up there. Plan on checking it out on Sunday. Thanks again

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Sartell grew up fishing that stretch you are spot on theres quite a few eyeballs down in those pools below the damn. Waded that area a lot as a youngster never knew what you were gone to  get. Some nice smallies to be had also.

Are catfish found were the landing is in cold spring the next bridge up from it. I think it's county road 2 is that a spot for cats at all. Thanks getting giddy to get the boat up there.

Yes they catch them under the 23  bridge and throughout that area,  Many fish off that big rock nice break off the edge of it. The number 2 bridge also has a good amount in fact feel free to thin a few out from there as then maybe I wont hook as many jigging eyes in that area ;)

Was open from the Cold spring Spring access to #2 bridge. The access was about 50 feet of ice hoping maybe I can get the boat out there tomorrow. Did fish for catfish got 0 but I did not have night crawlers.

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:15 AM, sartellangler05 said:

I'll add there should be walleye in there. Never fished below the dam. However, 2 years ago dad and I launched at the park just downstream before sunup for some mallard hunting.  Our headlamps were luminating a ton of walleye eyes in a deeper hole downstream 50 yds...have had an itch to go back there and fish it.

There's a ton of eyes in that stretch.  Big ones too! Just gotta find the spots they're hanging in.

• 4 years later...

I just moved out by Rockville with the Sauk river in my back yard. Current is pretty strong. Just wondering if you guys had any tip for fishing it off my shoreline? 

First I'd like to welcome you to Fishing Minnesota.  Although I haven't fished the exact section you are referencing I have fish parts of the section downstream below the dam in Cold Spring. You'll find walleye, northern,  catfish, sunfish, crappies, suckers and carp in this section of the river.   Used to be a lot of bullheads but alot of these were eaten by the channel cats once they were introduced.  You may also get the occasional large/smallmouth bass and even a rare musky.

Places to target, river bend slow current and often create washout holes. Areas below shallow rapids are often a bit deeper and can hold fish.  Eddy areas can be very good for panfish both in or on the edges of eddies.   Trees that hang into the river create cover and to a degree a current break.  Big rocks or rock points/piles can be awesome spots.  If you haven't fished smaller rivers before pay attention to the surface of the water.  How the water moves will give you clues about what lies beneath. 

Lures/baits:  Jigswith plastics work very well on the river.  Often swimming baits back verses jigging will get bit more as you spend a lot less time snagged.  Shallow/medium diving crankbaits can be very effective as spinnerbaits can be.  Livebait can be presented on jigs, hook/split shot or on a bobber rig drifted in slower current.

Good Luck and have fun learning what works for you in that section of river.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

River fishing can be tough... (but a hoot!)

Unlike lake fishing (where you pretty much can catch any fish any time as long as you know where the weedline is) river fishing tends to be dead in ~80% of the river and HOT in ~10% (and the hot spots are all about the structure and current...  That can also change with water levels.)

I'm saying:  you could get blessed with a HOT shoreline on the fast cast, however just because it's dead one day, wade around and watch the water levels throughout a spring/summer/fall and try and get a feel for what the bottom is like and if there's any depressions. 

(If you find gravel anywhere on the bottom, that'll be gold!  If you find a change from rock to mud, that could be great.  Larger underwater rocks inevitably have fish sitting behind them.  Any area only 6 inches deeper (like a bowl) then the area around it will totally change the water flow and fish could congregate there)

Unquestionably I'd start with nightcrawlers on the bottom--anything in the river tends to bite on those in spring.  If the cats/carp are active (~usually water needs to warm up), I love "surf and turf"--hook a cut/half minnow on hook with a nice half a crawler.

When the water warms up (60 degree), try cast/retrieve baits--I like beetletail plastic with a spinner.--smallies can be had on just about anything.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

The landing in Cold Spring was 100% open this morning.  Only ice in sight was on the east side of the river....and not much at that.  

Edited by Coleman
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank You Coleman. Pretty sure I will be laid off this week will try it this week hopefully thanks again. I drove the boat up on Sunday around noon but just could not get on with the ice

• I Like it 1

Pike sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstances. Don't feel alone as a lot more people are or will be going through the same scenario keep your head up bud !

Couple days that stretch should be connecting with the open water up river. it was open well pat the 49 bridge this morning. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Cool. I can start dreaming again about getting the boat out there ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

14 hours ago, Schmitt420 said:
14 hours ago, Schmitt420 said:

I just moved out by Rockville with the Sauk river in my back yard. Current is pretty strong. Just wondering if you guys had any tip for fishing it off my shoreline? 

Welcome to FM glad to see you on board. Not sure where you live but the bridge area in town actually there is a fishing pier there by Eagle Park  or where the mill creek spills into the river can be pretty good. My brother owns a bunch of the river property W of Rockville and I wade fish it quite often. As state look for corners with deeper depressions, current seams, eddies behind Rocks wing dams areas. I've done well pitching live bait rigs out with minnows or crawlers slowly dragging them back. My next approach is throwing jigs and some kind of plastic or twister tails. Some decent walleye fishing along the whole stretch once you figure out the spots to target. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Thanks for the encouraging words all. Just trying to keep a positive attitude. Getting the boat will help me forget the circumstances for a while. I really feel bad for those even less fortunate than us.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anytime Pike you need anything holler! If all else fails that stretch from county 2 bridge is loaded with geese and Swans. Talk about easing the mind even if you cant fish sitting back and enjoying mother nature at its finest is comforting ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Sorry to hear that Pike.  Hope all gets back to normal and you and yours are well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1