• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dnr's future plan for walleye slot?

eyechoholic

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

For all we know "lean" hatches could be caused by boat traffic over spawning beds, regardless of nets. kicking gravid fish off the beds to drop eggs off the beds in unfavorable water.

Good examples, but when examples are given for an issue they need to be different or a change from the past. Isn't the above happening every year with boat traffic and kicking fish off beds during spawning, regardless of nets?  What are the things that changed during the history of a lake that are different then the past? Nets! And does it really matter what kinds of nets. Gill nets have been the nets of choice for ever as you can drop them and leave. ;)

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

What are the things that changed during the history of a lake that are different then the past? Nets!. ;)

And....

Zebra mussles 

Spiny water flea

Eruasian water milfoil

1 1/2 X's the water clarity 

Explosion of Smallmouth bass

Decline in perch, tulibee, and eelpout.

Significant rise of summer water temps.

Gps lake maps and greater fisherman efficiency.

Higher angler effort

Ect....

Add some more of your own, if you wish!

3 minutes ago, ANYFISH2 said:

And....

Zebra mussles-Other lakes have them as well.

Spiny water flea Other lakes have them as well.

Eruasian water milfoil Other lakes have it as well. Hasn't seem to hurt Tonk's Walleye or Bass. 

1 1/2 X's the water clarity Many clear Walleye lakes in MN and Canada. ;)

Explosion of Smallmouth bass Other lakes have high numbers of Smallmouth as well.

Decline in perch, tulibee, and eelpout.Are being taken out by Nets as well-coincidence? 

Significant rise of summer water temps.Only Mille Lacs out of more then 10,000 others in MN? :whistle:

Gps lake maps and greater fisherman efficiency.Used the same in every lake-Next.

Higher angler effort-Not in the last 5 years or so since slots and lower limits.

Ect....

Add some more of your own, if you wish!

Again more good examples if others lakes that have the same issues are also having a depleted Walleye population?

• Thumbs Up 1

Are other lakes as "closely"(I use the term lightly)as Mille Lacs?

Do ALL other lakes get the per acre effort of Mille Lacs?

You asked what has change with the lake (Mille Lacs) history, and stated only nets, that is so far from the truth it is laughable!

All lakes have ups and downs,.but are not monitored EVERY spring, summer and fall with a microscope.  

Trust me I could be convinced that the net are the problem, I am not a fan, but they are a reality that not going away any time soon . I need better evidence than I am seeing here.

We will need to find a solution in spite of the nets, for the recovery to truly take hold.

• Thumbs Up 1

The "solution" may take as long as five years, the lake is a remarkable example of total mismanagement, guess work, and antiquated harvest models and reactive vs. proactive management. 

When the new "regulations" are announced tomorrow it will be another example of the extraordinary failure of the DNR in regards to the fishery.   

• Thumbs Up 1

Sculpin, I can agree with everything you just wrote.

I will say the DNR was put in a precarious postion 20 years ago, they have had to learn on the fly.  However, one would think we would be closed to figuring it out by know.

I agree, not only are they not closer to a solution, they have actually moved further away from a solution in the last couple years.

Had they paid the slightest attention to people like Sternberg even five years ago, they might be in better shape.

We'll see what lessons have been learned from this debacle when the tribes move to another major lake, and declare their harvest  quotas.

There is enough for everyone, but 15 years of the same size fish year after year after year clearly does not work. Another three to five years of basically no harvest may help to turn the corner.

Mille Lacs may be the blueprint for future management statewide.  A 2 fish limit, or one fish. ?? Five tags a year.   It's coming.

The DNR has released a preliminary announcement regarding the 2016 season on Mille Lacs.  There will be no harvest of any walleyes allowed, and only artificial baits may be used. Launch operators may be given a permit to use live bait, but they must agree to be part of a data gathering research project.   A night ban will be in effect for the entire season (except for muskie fishermen) 

Its going to be a quiet summer on the big lake.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:33 AM, leech~~ said:

And how did Red turn around?

We quit pointing fingers at each other. We quit throwing rocks at each other. We quit blaming each other. We sat down and worked together to see what each and everyone of us could do to make things better. 

I spent a big part of my life blaming the nets. It took a lot of soul searching for me to admit to myself that the things I had done were part of the reason the Red Lakes collapsed. I learned that the pointing fingers, throwing rocks and blaming others is completely wasted effort other then to maybe stroke the ego of the person doing it. Rather then waste and energy  fighting use the time and energy to make things better for the lake and community.

19 hours ago, Sculpin said:

The Indian fish processing plant in Redby, (Red Lake) still uses gill nets on the lake.  For a period of time, after the recovery, the Band attempted to sustain the commercial fishery by hook and line fishing, they quickly learned it was not possible.

For the last harvest year 82% of the walleye's brought into the Fisheries Plant at Redby were harvested by hook and line.

• Thumbs Up 4

82% by hook and line is great news, one can only imagine the kind of positive long term effect that would have had on the fishery 20 years ago.

I agree with your position 100% Kelly.  Part of the problem at Mille Lacs continues to be the inability of the MN. DNR and the GLIFWC to effectively communicate their findings, and have a true co-management arrangement.  Secret meetings, closed to the public, or even the advisory group, do nothing to establish trust, and move the needle in a positive way. Its two intractable bureaucratic groups protecting their respective turfs.

41 minutes ago, kelly-p said:

We quit pointing fingers at each other. We quit throwing rocks at each other. We quit blaming each other. We sat down and worked together to see what each and everyone of us could do to make things better. 

I spent a big part of my life blaming the nets. It took a lot of soul searching for me to admit to myself that the things I had done were part of the reason the Red Lakes collapsed. I learned that the pointing fingers, throwing rocks and blaming others is completely wasted effort other then to maybe stroke the ego of the person doing it. Rather then waste and energy  fighting use the time and energy to make things better for the lake and community.

For the last harvest year 82% of the walleye's brought into the Fisheries Plant at Redby were harvested by hook and line.

Thanks for your heart felt feels kelly-p and what you needed to do to feel better. I don't think that I pointed the finger at anyone. I did share many reasons throughout this whole thread why I feel Netting is an issue in any Lake, Sea or Ocean for that matter as we are all finding out now with shut downs of fisheries around the world. It's the management of the process that is the problem. Not slowing it down or shutting it down fast enough when needed. As the video's posted above shows. You cannot keep pulling breeding fish out of a lake of all sizes and species for long without hurting the resource. Net's do not have slots and there is no C&R with them. Period.

Just announced, catch and release only for Mille lacs, no live bait except for launches...crazy

Great to see the DNR has learned and is now protecting even more big fish (tongue firmly in cheek).  Ugh.  It will never be solved by these clowns.

Edited by Kyhl

Good bye live bait industry. They said big pike are an effect on forage base so we need more of them. Another nail in the coffin.

Mwal

"From May 14 to Thursday, Dec. 1, anglers targeting walleye must use artificial bait and immediately release all walleye caught. Anglers targeting northern pike and muskellunge may possess and use sucker minnows longer than 8 inches but all other anglers must not possess any other bait that is live, dead, frozen or processed. "

So this doesn't affect just Walleye anglers.

This reads as other than Suckers for Northern Pike (over 8 inches) that no live bait, or Gulp (processed baits) be used for Panfish, Bass, Perch, what have you.

I also note, that they did NOT require barbless, or crushed barbs. I wonder why.

With all of the regulations on Mille Lacs, it only makes sense to fish the lake if you are one of those who live on the lake.  Why even go?  Let the lake sit for a couple of years and see what happens. 

That is how I read it too, artificial only, including if you are perch fishing.  They basically shut down the lake except for launches.  This really gets under my skin because the gov't is giving businesses more "rights" than citizens.  I stuck with rights here because in MN we consider hunting and fishing to be rights not privileges.

I have been told by someone on the Advisory Committee that Gulp, and similar baits will not be excluded. I think when they say "processed" they are referencing minnows in preservative, formaldehyded leeches, salted dead bait, etc. Pulling an Uncle Josh pork crawler around on a spinner will not be considered "live bait"

I think the fishing will be pretty good, catch and release, but still pretty good.  Uncrowded too !!

22 minutes ago, Kyhl said:

That is how I read it too, artificial only, including if you are perch fishing.  They basically shut down the lake except for launches.  This really gets under my skin because the gov't is giving businesses more "rights" than citizens.  I stuck with rights here because in MN we consider hunting and fishing to be rights not privileges.

Unless of course you own a Bait Shop up on Mille Lac.

Speaking of bait shops on Mille Lacs, there is already one less shop in play.  Rod's bait in Isle will close down April 1st. The Indians bought the property he currently operates through, and he is out. There are no announced formal plans for the property at this time, but I'd guess it won't be a bait shop.    

what about netting? none of the reports are bringing up netting. I suppose nothing changed there?

PATHETIC!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, GFNER said:

what about netting? none of the reports are bringing up netting. I suppose nothing changed there?

PATHETIC!!!!!!

The Mille Lacs Band said they wouldn't but the other bands may.

"This year’s safe walleye harvest level established by the DNR and Great Lakes Indian Fish & Wildlife Commission remains at 40,000 pounds, with 28,600 allocated to state anglers and 11,400 to tribal anglers. Allowing fishing beyond those limits puts the walleye population at risk and a federal court decision requires that walleye fishing be suspended"

4 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Whatever they do, they can take their quota. Net or harpoon.

Or by hook and line, like the rest of the angling world, now wouldn't that be a most novel approach.!!

Canoes and bow and arrows is next.

How many changes is that in the last year.

And, bet another change happens before the season opens.

Edited by fishhook34

I think it's also important to point out, that the quota on Mille Lacs is only one part of overall Tribal harvest, they can also go to many other lakes and declare their share of the harvest allocation. It remains to be seen how many tribes will come to Mille Lacs to exercise their rights, only Mille Lacs and Fond Du Luth have stepped way from netting for this year,  but they have made it pretty clear of late that they will be moving on to other lakes this year to harvest.

35 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Whatever they do, they can take their quota. Net or harpoon.

Well Daaau Del. You've only said that like 10 times now in the 236 replies on this thread. Got it! Del's Pro Net! ;)

43 minutes ago, Sculpin said:

Or by hook and line, like the rest of the angling world, now wouldn't that be a most novel approach.!!

They already do.

10 per day hook and line.

No slot size limit.

That's correct, and if they had tried to achieve their harvest quota in that fashion these last 15 or so years, maybe the harvest would have been more diverse, and not focused on the same fish year after year after year.........their hook and line harvest has been negligible since day one. 

• Thumbs Up 1