• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

eyechoholic

Dnr's future plan for walleye slot?

Stick in Mud

You're probably right, Bandersnatch....I just thought there were *multiple* missing year classes.  I don't doubt that the DNR has tried to limit harvest by allowing anglers to keep the fish that are largely absent in the lake.  Doing so allows fishing while making it essentially a catch-and-release fishery.  Still hurts all the businesses up there, but at least the DNR can say the lake is "open"--at least it could until last summer, when most of our "harvest" was an estimate based on hooking mortality, as you correctly pointed out. 

It would've been interesting to see what anglers (and businesses) would have done back in the "good ol' days" if the DNR had attempted to change the way it limited harvest, as in allowing one big fish per angler (instead of four smaller ones) to 1) leave the little fish in the lake and 2) reduce the cannibalism of little ones by big ones.  Of course, given the good fishing, "hooking mortality," and constraints due to treaty management, I suspect the harvest total would've been hit pretty quickly, meaning a closed lake and bad political mojo.  Now that the fit's hit the shan, including more bad mojo and ruined businesses, one wonders if the guys in the DNR are saying (behind closed doors, of course) that more significant changes should've happened much, much sooner.  Who knows.  Bummer all the way around.  

I'll be up there in a few hours, though, chasing the 15'' fish and hoping for a nice one. 

Bandersnatch

Have a great trip!!

Weathertite
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:48 PM, eyechoholic said:

If they do that they need go around the whole state and bail out resorts on other lakes that are going through lean times due to bad fishing years. You can't just favor mille lacs. When times are good save some of that money for slow times it's business 101. If you can't make it through sell your resort they are worth quite a bit. No pity from me and here is why. I own a house framing business it's good right now but from 2006 to 2010 there wasn't any new houses going up and if there was you got paid half of what you were getting before. The state wasn't bailing my ass out or anyone else in the industry you either make it through or you dont.

I agree with you whole heartedly as I also own a construction business , But then on the other hand we must all realize that our license dollars are used to bail out the liberal arts program here in Minnesota . If those dollars are used to bail anyone out it should be people that have something to do with the OUTDOORS !!!!!!  Not saying this is an answer but it sure could help.

eyechoholic

I do agree with you on that 100 percent all money made from licenses so go to something related to hunting and fishing not liberal arts or anything  else it's a classic example of re distribution of wealth.

SaintPaulPaul
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:48 PM, eyechoholic said:

If they do that they need go around the whole state and bail out resorts on other lakes that are going through lean times due to bad fishing years. You can't just favor mille lacs. When times are good save some of that money for slow times it's business 101. If you can't make it through sell your resort they are worth quite a bit. No pity from me and here is why. I own a house framing business it's good right now but from 2006 to 2010 there wasn't any new houses going up and if there was you got paid half of what you were getting before. The state wasn't bailing my ass out or anyone else in the industry you either make it through or you dont.

Well said.  Many of us in the construction industry struggled to keep our homes during the Great Recession, some made it out intact and many people in the industry left to find a more stable livelihood. If I build only houses, and the housing market crashes, I'm going to have to find alternatives to making a living. If I depend only on walleyes to keep my resort afloat and the fishery crashes, I need to explore other potential fishing opportunities that will sustain me through difficult times.

• Thumbs Up 3

leech~~

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi Minnesota, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of fishing oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of Fishing freedom and justice for all.

I have a dream that my little children will one day live in a State where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the safe harvest limits they all follow.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day down up in Alabama Minnesota, with its vicious racists, with its governor Goofy having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification who knows what the heck he is saying, that one day right down up in Alabama Minnesota little black Red boys and black Red girls will be able to join hands with little White boys and White girls as sisters and brothers and fish all lakes the same for the good of all.

I have a dream today.

• Thumbs Up 1

delcecchi

If that requires abrogation of the treaty rights "subject to the pleasure of the president " you better start organizing and lobbying. 

leech~~
1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

If that requires abrogation of the treaty rights "subject to the pleasure of the president " you better start organizing and lobbying. 

It's just a Dream Del!

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, Walleye's are free at last! :D

delcecchi

You do realize that the same thing likely would have happened to the walleye population even without native harvest, right?  Anglers are capable of harvesting all the lake can produce, and more, so slots would still have been necessary. 

leech~~
2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

You do realize that the same thing likely would have happened to the walleye population even without native harvest, right?  Anglers are capable of harvesting all the lake can produce, and more, so slots would still have been necessary. 

Boy you are right on me Del.

I'll repost this:

Very good point Del! :)

I wonder if an 18" inch slot Walleye can produce the same amount of eggs as a 23"-26" inch netted Walleye? Since we will never know. Maybe we can ask some of the netters to weigh egg sacks out of each and let us know! ;)

delcecchi

The number of fry produced has not been a problem. The number of fish that make it to catchable size is the problem. 

And a fish killed in July or October  or February won't be spawning or producing eggs either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Weathertite

No pun intended , But I believe someones feathers have been ruffled !!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

leech~~
3 hours ago, delcecchi said:

The number of fry produced has not been a problem. The number of fish that make it to catchable size is the problem. 

And a fish killed in July or October  or February won't be spawning or producing eggs either.

Del, please think over what you just stated. A fish "killed" by hook and line or Nets won't be spawning-agreed.

But you still have not explained why the number of fish are not making it to catchable size if the number of fry produced is not the problem? 

I still contend that it's all a numbers game and a 24" to 26" Killed Netted female can put out way more eggs then a Killed hook and line 18" female slot fish.

But the sad thing is a Net kills both not just 18" slots fish.

Below is from another site. Like they say, do the math an 18" Walleye is not going to put out as many eggs as a 24" so the survival rate of the 18" fish is going to be way less then the 24" fish.  If you keep netting out the larger fish you are not going to have as many fish in a lake Fry-catchable or other. Period! 

Now you can jump back in the pleasure of the Presidents stuff because your math just does not hold water. ;)

Facts about Northwestern Ontario Fish

Walleye

RELEASE ALL WALLEYE OVER 18 INCHES

Female Walleyes can produce on average 26,000 EGGS PER POUND of body weight. (That means that one 24 inch - 5.1 lb. Female Walleye can have over 130,000 eggs each year for spawning)

1% or less of all Walleye eggs hatch to become an adult Walleye. (Doing the math: One 5lb Walleye hatches Approx. 130,000 eggs of which 1% or less survive. That means 1300 WALLEYES could survive.

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bandersnatch

"Walleye

RELEASE ALL WALLEYE OVER 18 INCHES"

Well, with the suspected predation that occurs by cannibalistic larger Walleye eating the YOY Walleye, your FishFacts just may be half of the problem in this instance.

leech~~
1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

"Walleye

RELEASE ALL WALLEYE OVER 18 INCHES"

Well, with the suspected predation that occurs by cannibalistic larger Walleye eating the YOY Walleye, your FishFacts just may be half of the problem in this instance.

Yes it is a fish eat fish world under that water. But, hasn't it always been way before and during Hook and line fishing?  So what has changed the most since the lake has become a resort and fishing mecca in the last 70-80 years? 

Come on you can say it. Netting! ;)

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1

delcecchi

I don't know why you are so hung up on netting.  

The DNR's studies concluded that large walleye cannibalism of small walleyes was a significant contribution to the failure of several year classes to make it to catchable size, after first blaming pike and bass.

leech~~
49 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I don't know why you are so hung up on netting.  

The DNR's studies concluded that large walleye cannibalism of small walleyes was a significant contribution to the failure of several year classes to make it to catchable size, after first blaming pike and bass.

Bahaha, "after first blaming pike and bass" why don't I always believe the DNR! And how many years, studies and cost did it take them to find that out! ;)

Wolves aren't killing Moose and their calves too! :P

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bandersnatch
1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Yes it is a fish eat fish world under that water. But, hasn't it always been way before and during Hook and line fishing?  So what has changed the most since the lake has become a resort and fishing mecca in the last 70-80 years? 

Come on you can say it. Netting! ;)

That in part, of course.

But face it. A busy day when I started fishing the lake was more than SIX boats out around Hennepin Island, not 60, or 100!! (or more!) Not to mention that back then No One Ever fished the flats. The Walleye season back then was the first six weeks, and then it was about done until freeze up!

leech~~
2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

That in part, of course.

But face it. A busy day when I started fishing the lake was more than SIX boats out around Hennepin Island, not 60, or 100!! (or more!) Not to mention that back then No One Ever fished the flats. The Walleye season back then was the first six weeks, and then it was about done until freeze up!

The Resort Launch boats have pounded the Flats for ever, even before the 18" foot Lund was made! And still plenty of fish to go around. ;)

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 2

theharvester

Fish has an option to bite or not bite .with a net they are caught whether they bite or not. Big Differnce lot harder to fish lake out than net it out .

• Thumbs Up 2

Bandersnatch
22 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

The Resort Launch boats have pounded the Flats for ever, even before the 18" foot Lund was made! And still plenty of fish to go around. ;)

Yeah, and back then I think there were four of them on the entire lake lol.

leech~~
33 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Yeah, and back then I think there were four of them on the entire lake lol.

A really good book for you to read is this one to learn a little history on the Resorts and their Launch boats back then. There were a ton more Resorts open then, then there is now.

51tGOSnJmXL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Flip to back Flip to front
Listen Playing... Paused   You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition.
Learn more

• Thumbs Up 1

delcecchi
2 hours ago, theharvester said:

Fish has an option to bite or not bite .with a net they are caught whether they bite or not. Big Differnce lot harder to fish lake out than net it out .

Yep. but unless you believe there is a bunch of unsupervised unmonitored netting going on like there was on Red, netting doesn't take enough to be the problem.   And angling was effective enough to take hundreds of thousands of pounds per year. 

leech~~
26 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Yep. but unless you believe there is a bunch of unsupervised unmonitored netting going on like there was on Red, netting doesn't take enough to be the problem.   And angling was effective enough to take hundreds of thousands of pounds per year.

Really, is that why the Band's netting quotes have always been thousands of pounds higher each year then Anglers? :crazy:

• Thumbs Up 1

delcecchi
15 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Really, is that why the Band's netting quotes have always been thousands of pounds higher each year then Anglers? :crazy:

You have that all wrong.  Anglers get much more than bands. 

For 2015

"Under this year’s quota, state anglers can harvest up to 28,600 pounds of walleye, and the eight Chippewa bands with 1837 Treaty harvest rights can harvest up to 11,400 pounds of walleye."

for 2014

"State-regulated hook-and-line anglers will get 42,900 pounds of the quota; 17,100 pounds will be reserved for the eight Minnesota and Wisconsin Chippewa bands that net the lake in spring."

You can find the numbers for earlier years easily on the web using google. 

In 2008 the anglers got 307,000 and the bands got 122,500