• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake open ?

theharvester

Now that we have beaten this to death , is there any positive news coming out of the Red Lake area ? Anybody been out since yesterday and have you caught anything ? What were you finding for ice thickness , Etc.     Thanks mike

PS: Child23 , any news on the rod bag and tackle ?

Stay safe out there my Friends!!!!!!!

Carp master is right on, no one was rescued out there...I was there, we walked back and had to step over the crack and walk to shore, there was no rescue boats saving people...They should make a reality show about these forums more drama on here than half the shows on TV..Quit your b*tching, things happen sometimes its ice fishing, can't believe what you hear in the media....Anywho can't wait to get back up there this weekend :)

• Thumbs Up 2

A police officer/emt  wouldn't have a job if it weren't for stupid people....that being said you can't predict what mother nature is going to do....you can respond to the most routine call and it can turn into a life or death situation pretty quick. These guys and gals on the ice were not stupid...mother nature just threw a curve ball and they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Could've  happen to anyone. Enough of the Monday morning quarterbacking.

Edited by PigHunter2712
  • Thumbs Up 3

I agree most whole heartedly , we have discussed this way to much. Everyone is safe and much the wiser. Can we now discuss new items Please ???    Mike

I suppose! haha was out west of Bemidji this afternoon and could have limited out on 5 inch perch!

• Thumbs Up 1

I've tried it before they make way too crunchy of fish sticks! :sick: I found 5.5 on a small lake that had a max depth of ROUND 30FT.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been fishing URL for the last two days and going again tomorrow. You guys are missing out on some pretty good fishing!!  - and I like to think I'm not an idiot. 

19 hours ago, Scaup3 said:

Diving on an icy roads is completely different than going out on ice that you know is marginally safe at best.  It's called common sense.  Lots lacking in this thread.

The ice was a safe thickness. Nobody fell through. Everyone walked off the ice safely. Icy roads are a much bigger risk. Yet millions of people take that risk. 

Any updates for Red Lake fishing Today , Im sure someone has been out and has a story to tell.  Fish well and stay safe my Friends!!!!!

I think everyone is waiting to see what the wind does tonight. After a few days of only east winds the 15 to 25 mph winds out of the NW and W tonight and tomorrow is really going to move all of that loose ice out there.  There are places where the open water is over 1 mile wide so that center ice sheet is really going to be able to build up a head of steam before it hits the shoreline ice sheet.

I heard that too but can not confirm that. Anyone think that anglers will be able to get out this weekend, and if so would it be worth dragging up the wheeler? If anyone has input on this that would be great instead.. I'll be calling resorts in the morning for sure, it would make me feel better then waiting till the morning the day I leave to get any infromation. Thanks

All that I can tell you is that if it were me I would walk out. But that's my opinion and I like to be on TOP of the ice.

Kelly, have you heard anything about a truck going thru the ice there in the last day or 2? People here at work were telling me it was on fac e book. Had pictures they said. I am having trouble believing it myself.

55 minutes ago, jerkbait said:

Kelly, have you heard anything about a truck going thru the ice there in the last day or 2? People here at work were telling me it was on fac e book. Had pictures they said. I am having trouble believing it myself.

I saw a picture too. It was a black ford getting pulled out but the post was from last year (Date in corner of the original post).

the only vehicle that has been on red lake that I know of is buddy hillmen. He is working on his road. He has been 1 mile out as far as I know. His road has been staked since the ice first begun. I watched him walk out just after the ice sheet formed putting in the first stakes. he keeps all the snow off the road starting with a wheeler and drag. The ice is thicker and he does not venture off the marked area. Lets not get every one worked up about trucks falling through as this is all ready shaping up to be a tough year with ice conditions

11 hours ago, kelly-p said:

I would guess that was Buddy Hillman working on his road. Trying to keep the snow off so the main road will freeze down enough for regular traffic. He starts with a wheeler and bed spring and then works his way up. He started with the wheeler clearing 200 feet wide some time ago. By keeping the snow off it freezes down almost twice as fast as the ice around it. When it freezes down more then the ice on both sides of the eventual road it becomes more buoyant and "Humps Up" higher then the ice on both sides of the road.  When it "Humps Up" it pulls the bottom of the ice sheet up above the line where the water is too warm to freeze so more ice freezes on the bottom. The cycle continues until Buddy has a road that is humped up about 1 foot higher then the surrounding ice. The end result has the main road higher then the ice on both sides so the snow blows right across, the people are driving on more ice then the rest of the lake and before people are on his road he has been over every foot of the road more then 50 times and knows the road pretty good.

It is not something for the faint of heart to do but he has knack for it  and after a lifetime of doing  it he can read the ice pretty good. With average weather I "might" drive out 1 1/2 to 2 weeks after Buddy starts.

wow that's interesting to say the least! thanks for explaining that.

that is what I figured. that is why I asked on here. wanted to get to rumor put to bed before people get all gung ho about something that has not happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

What are we looking at for Ice thickness and snow depth up there on Red as of today ? anybody up there today that can supply us with that information please. Thanks Mike

I was there yesterday and it was pretty sketchy. Went out from a private access on the south side. Big crack with a wide section of open water about 500 yards out. We set up about 100 yards from that. Had about 5 inches of ice and not much snow, 10 FOW. Just patches where the drifts had formed. It was cold and windy and fishing was slow but we did end up with a limit of nice fish. 

• Thumbs Up 1