• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Brainerd, Aitkin, McGregor Area ice fishing reports

There were a few full size trucks and trailer shacks out on BSL this past weekend.  We tip up fished Friday and Saturday and caught several small pike.  It was a great time!  There is definitely over a foot of ice on BSL main basin, but I didn't measure what it was exactly.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

ice is getting in bad shape, you still can get on the ice, but walking or wheelers only now. I had only 12 inches of ice on Friday, rode the wheeler out, but that will be the last time I ride that out this year. ice at home here in big lake looks like it will be out in less than a week.

ATV ride on big sandy today had a few wheelers go through, but not on the main lake ice.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:23 PM, knoppers said:

ice is getting in bad shape, you still can get on the ice, but walking or wheelers only now. I had only 12 inches of ice on Friday, rode the wheeler out, but that will be the last time I ride that out this year. ice at home here in big lake looks like it will be out in less than a week.

ATV ride on big sandy today had a few wheelers go through, but not on the main lake ice.

I was on minnewawa Saturday and the ice was fine, but saw about 25 wheelers ride through the middle of the lake, that was a little sketchy to me. I drove my wheeler out on minnewawa on Saturday but I was only in about 10 feet of water(only small sunnies biting) but the ice is going fast. raining off and on til the end of the week. im getting one last weekend of ice fishing in and then im calling it.

• Thumbs Up 1

any current ice reports?

Ice here in big lake went out Wednesday, and this lake is one of the last lakes around here to go out. with the little ice we had this winter, is probably the reason for the early ice out.

Two of us walked out on Waukenabo on Fri. 25th. No problem going anywhere.  Lots of small crappies, but nothing to get excited about overall. Ice was a solid 12/14" I was around Big Sandy, and although I did not venture out, the ice there looked fine.

Use caution, common sense, have your ice picks, etc.

Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

so what your saying is theres still a possibility of having some late ice fishing? 

2 weeks ago when i was out there, the ice was fine. the ice was kind of white and cloudy, but it didnt crack or anything like that while i was walking out there or anything.

I think it's day to day now. I guess I considered last Friday to be kind of "late" given the poor ice overall this year, and the quick deterioration we have had overall.

As always, be very cautious, and try to speak to someone with immediate experience.  The bait shops are pretty tight lipped about ice conditions now, as they have very little traffic, and understandably,  they don't wish to stick their necks out. 

Even these 40 degree days are eating it up, little by little.

I think the further north you go, the better your chances. 

Be safe.

i know i will be ready when the ice finally decides to go. i had a awesome ice season, even with the strange ice. 

when i was up a couple weeks ago, Willeys bait said they hadn't sold bait in a couple of days.

• 8 months later...

have to give this topic a bump since ice will be here soon. any reports will be useful, thanks in advance.

Was up this past weekend, everything is still open. Should lock up this week though looking at the chilly forecast.  

with the current weather and the forcast for next week, we should have great ice by next weekend. be safe out there this weekend, ice just took hold on smaller lakes, the wind has kept things uneven.

I checked numerous Aitken area lakes yesterday, 9th. The only lake where I saw any open water remaining was Cedar south of Aitken.  Ripple, Dam, Clear, Hanging Kettle, Sissabagama, Anne, Rabbit, all locked up. 2" in most places, but after last night I'm sure it added more.

I would guess in the next couple days there will be walk-out traffic.

There were 6 porty's on  Shakopee yesterday, and although I did not check the ice, I'd assume there is decent ice there. There were houses out there already Wed.

Be safe, use caution and common sense, and do lots of checking. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

With reports of 12+ on the north end of Mille lacs I would think the smaller lakes north of there have to drivable. Any info out there?

• Thumbs Up 1

Got out in the Aitkin area this past weekend, had about 14 inches. Most people were using fourwheelers, but I would think there will be trucks driving out soon with this cold weather. Hardly any snow on the lake. Fished for a few hours New Years Eve marking aggressive fish but no eyes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
34 minutes ago, knoppers said:

OK a 180 here, lets here about ice out, if it ever happens.

Well the way this spring is going. :(

full-27051-54875-its_a_cold_day_in_hell_o_933480.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

The lakes have enough snow to protect the ice and with the forecast it might be a while before we lose any ice. Last weekend there was still a solid 30"

• 7 months later...

bump

give ice reports if you can. just don't go on any ice to give a report, be safe.

I know my 300 acre lake in aitkin froze  over last weekend, but ice depth could vary greatly this time of year.

• The title was changed to Brainerd, Aitkin, McGregor Area ice fishing reports