• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zebra mussels in Clearwater

According to BJ's Facebook post zebra mussels have been found in Clearwater lake. I was afraid this would happen, but at least I have an excuse for my poor fishing this year.

Edited by g_anoka

Saw this as well on FB... Milfoil and now this... invasive species spreading even with all this regulation and monitoring of the accesses... must be working well, huh?

Sorry just in sarcastic mood today. 

No need to be sarcastic its true. At what point in time and after how many millions of dollars are wasted will they figure out what they are doing is not working....

• Thumbs Up 2

Not nearly enough time and money has been wasted yet. Give it a few years.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is sad.  Not sure how it will effect the other lakes that are connected.  Let's hope the Rock Bass out there do their job to keep these zebra mussels  in check.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

There's no stopping invasives. Nature will find a way to counter every effort, every dollar, every regulation.

Zeebs will run their course. Then they will eat themselves out of house and home, and their populations will find a balance. In the meantime, they will suck. In the end, who's to say whether they're bad or good? Like forests requiring a purging fire every so often, perhaps it's time our lakes get a cleansing infestation of Zeebs.

Might as well take the attitude that it may come out positive. Because they WILL run their course. Doomsday worrying won't stop 'em.

• Thumbs Up 1

What part of the lake were the zeeb's found?  Must those darn fishermen. that is how the zeeb's got into the unnamed lakes, with no access.

The people doing the boat inspections on Pulaski lake in Buffalo, mn.  have had show up at the ramp with weeds with the zeeb's wet and attached, yet would have launched. Seems the millions of dollars, is a waste, many don't care.

I was at Green lake in Spicer, They have a Decon site for boat that show up with any type of weed on boat or trailer. The craft will go thru Decon before going in lake. this maybe what many lakes will need to do.

I was out Sunday evening, the people at BJ's bait said the Zeeb's  were found near camp friendship on the northeast side.

Seeing that the Camp Friendship bay is about as far from an access point as you can get, introduction by boat is unlikely here, unless the entire lake is infested, which it most likely is. Since they are now in Clearwater Lake, it is only a matter of time before the zebra Mussels are found throughout the Clearwater river chain.

Nature will find a way.

I have been through a couple decontamination sites. I asked the DNR how they account for water that stays in your outboard lower unit, bilge hoses, live-well hoses, etc. and worst of all, the water that is in a carpeted bunk trailer. They have no answer, no clue.  The microscopic Zebra muscle veligers can hang in that wet carpet and catch a ride. You can't wash out under a bunk supporting a boat that weighs a ton. The whole program is laughable, and a huge waste of time, money, and resources that could be better spent elsewhere. That tooth paste is not going back in the tube.

I was pressure washed in the big yellow wading pool coming out of Mille Lacs once, and I asked why they did not wash my truck. I was in the lake with all four wheels.??   They just stared at me, nobody had considered that twist...

They can and will transport in many ways. It's a dilemma.  

I have asked about biodegrade soap on the bunks?  They are worried about the soap. DUH! It would be better than transporting wet carpet. Plus check your carpet bunk 5 days after the last lake. Still wet!!!!!

Soap will not kill them. If it were that simple the DNR would have it all figured out. At the end of the day those things can hitchhike a ride in places where no amount of cleaning and "decontaminating" can be effective, ever.  

What about the microscopic veilgers stuck in between feathers of Loons,ducks geese ,grebes, pelicans etc. or snapping turtles moving from different bodies of water. There is no way to stop them.

Mwal

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I guess we all agree then. Other than a few people who work for the state.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was fishing the St. Croix this morning, looked like blue-green algee is coming in bloom. Big glob lines of algee floating pushed by the wind, several areas the clobs had a lite blue look, this was about 1/2 mile south of the Kinne narrows.  The jig fishing was very slow, some smallies were taken on surface baits, the lead core guys did better.

This is sad.  Not sure how it will effect the other lakes that are connected.  Let's hope the Rock Bass out there do their job to keep these zebra mussels  in check.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Thought this was an interesting comment.  Are Rock Bass documented predators of Zebra Mussels?  

• Thumbs Up 1

There is some predation by fish, diver ducks, gulls, even crayfish, of both the mussels and the veligers. The problem is that they reproduce so fast that the impact of any predation in minimal. Mille Lacs is a good case in point, the north end now has on average around 1,000 per square foot, down from a peak of 1,200 in 2012, with 35% of the overall lake bottom infested. There are not enough mussel eating critters in the lake to make any significant impact once they take hold.

Thanks for the clarification. Nice to know that Rock Bass are good for something...

Yup, my family has cabin on Fish Trap lake about an hour north of the St. Cloud area and that was recently confirmed as infested.  Lots of Rockies in there.  Maybe they'll get full on zeebs and quit stealing my leeches and machine gunning my minnows :lol:

Seeing that the Camp Friendship bay is about as far from an access point as you can get, introduction by boat is unlikely here, unless the entire lake is infested, which it most likely is. Since they are now in Clearwater Lake, it is only a matter of time before the zebra Mussels are found throughout the Clearwater river chain.

Nature will find a way.

If I'm not mistaken, the camp has its own landing. If zeebs were discovered there, that was likely the culprit.

That said, you're spot-on: Nature WILL find a way, and it's high-time everyone including the DNR come to grips with that fact.

Edited by IronDioPriest