• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trebormorgan

When targeting crappie what is the best lure/bait to use in order to avoid catching rock bass, but still catch crappie?  This has been a challenge for us lately.  We locate the crappie, but they tend to be with a large amount of rock bass.  There are times we will catch 4 (or more) rock bass to every crappie.  Any advice is much appreciated. 

ThunderLund78

I share your pain, I haven't run across much they wont try to eat.  Even off of the dock, when sunnies are being finicky for the kids, the rock bass always seem to be willing to bite when the others just stare.  The kids don't mind, but when I'm jigging/Lindy rigging with leech or fathead or trolling with a crawler rig, Rock Bass are constantly machine gunning the bait. Only suggestion I have is to start keepin' em.  I know they're perceived as the lesser fish because they're dumb and always speckled with neascus, but just like the crappies you're chasing, they taste like whatever you fry them in :)

JBMasterAngler

Just accept it. You can't avoid them. I catch them, both big and small while trolling large rapalas for pike. They go after everything!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Duckhunt
      By Duckhunt
      House was new in spring 2018. Spray foamed top to bottom. Extremely Light weight, all aluminum construction 1300-1400 pounds. You can easily pull with atv. with little tongue weight. Foldable and removable bunk, we used a cot for 2nd bed.
      -6 catch covers w/ sleeves
      -Nuway furnace, needs no electricity to operate manually, also hooked up to thermostat
      -12V low amp draw circulating fans -30A 115v to 12VDC power converter/battery charger with gen/power hookup
      -battery box with 12VDC-115v inverter, and battery meter (newer 31 battery negotiable)
      - LED hole light and beverage holder above every hole
      -LED interior and porch lights
      -Tv/dvd combo on swing wall mount
      -Pioneer stereo with 4 speakers -Loose spare tire (white steel rim)
      -Window Air Conditioner
      This house can go all weekend on a single battery without a generator. No exterior damage anywhere, tires great. Looking to possibly upgrade. Located 20 miles north of Rapids. Thanks!

• Dal72ice
      By Dal72ice
      Leech Lake.  I am wondering what to expect.  I think I might go out on Boy bay using the public landing on Sugar Point.  First are there any safety concerns, ice conditions to worry about, Landing safe?  Second what can I expect for fish? Kind of looking for some nice panfish during the day and a stray walleye or two towards evening
    • icedog
      By icedog
      I am looking for one of the PakShack ice tents that were made several years ago.  Anyone that has one in decent usable shape they would like to sell let me know.
      Thanks Icedog

• SergeantJas
      By SergeantJas
      I am new to ice fishing and the aitkin area.  I am wondering what is the best colors and even jigs for walleye and crappies in the aitkin area.   Its my 1st year of icexfishing.  I've always been into open water before.
    • Dakota003
      By Dakota003
      Moved to area last winter and don’t know much about any lakes in the metro. Panfish is by far the most fun for myself and would like to get into walleyes. Would really appreciate some suggestions on where to go within the metro and try out this upcoming ice fishing season. 
    • markcl
      By markcl
      How much ice to walk out, 4 wheeler, truck?
    • Salsballs93
      By Salsballs93
      Looking to bring my fly fishing into the metro. Anyone willing to share where they've gone, if at all?
    • SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • Coloradokid55
      By Coloradokid55
      Headed to Brainerd Area July 9-11 coming from Colorado to visit friends. Well actually my girlfriend is I am tagging along to hopefully catch some fish with my flyrod And or jigs. Seeking advice on which lakes and tactics and anything else helpful to help maximize fishing  time in your state. I will have access to a canoe on Hubert Lake. Any and all advice would be much appreciated if anyone is into flyfishing Stillwater and would like to go or show me some pointers on your home waters That would be awesome thanks looking forward to any responses.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.