• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Arrow weight? Do you care? Heavy/light?

Powerstroke

I've been thinking about changes to my arrows. I'm not really sure why, maybe its my nature to tinker with stuff. I shoot a PSE Xforce at 62lbs. My bow pushes a 400 grain arrow right around 290FPS give or take. 

I've been fletching my own arrows for years and I have really come to like the short "blazer-style" vanes. The ones I shoot now are not blazers, I'm not sure off the top of my head without running to the garage, but I have been thinking about changing arrow shafts, or at least the arrow weight. 

When I started archery it was in the beginning of the speed bow movement and being new to archery I liked the idea of it. I've never had a problem flinging arrow or killing deer and turkeys. However, I plan on hunting some bigger game over longer distances and based on alot of the science, a heavier arrow should be part of that equation. Based on my current setup, I'm pushing an arrow that sits right around 400 grains. That is fairly light for a fast aggressive bow. I'm sitting right on the edge of being under-spinde as it is with a marginally low FOC. I'm pondering getting into the 450-500+ grain range and see how my bow performs. 

So, do you keep track of your arrow weight? Have you tried heavier/lighter setups and what was your experience? 

My experience has been that a heavier arrow is quieter and I believe that the thinner diameter shafts may penetrate better with less wind drift on long shots. I am currently using Axis 340s at around 440 grains (9.5 GPI) but have also shot Maxima 350s which are a bit lighter (8.2 GPI) and Cabelas Stalker Extremes (Beeman ICS hunters with a Cabelas label -9.3 GPI). All worked well and none of them really are heavy. My old aluminum 2219s are really quiet out of my bows but the skinny Axis really penetrates the target much deeper than my other arrows. I have hit bone a couple times with the Axis and a Slick Trick and have had very good penetration and quick kills.

I did an elk trip last year which is why I went back to the Axis 340s. BTW- I am a 31.5 inch DL shooting around 60 LBs on both my Vendetta and Ross which is why I need the 340-350 spine.

I got on the speed bandwagon also thinking speed kills, i have since changed my mind.  I think your are on the right track heavier arrows will usually give you more KE (kenotic energy) which is what you are going to want since higher KE should give you better arrow penetration.  Do some searching online about arrow weight and KE and it should give you some really good info. 

I've certainly done all the research on the topic. I was just hoping to generate some discussion and see where other guy's setups range. 

Its been my experience when talking to most bowhunters is they have no idea how much their arrows weigh and have never changed their setup once they bought the arrows they were sold at the store. When I ask about arrow weights most guys tell me what weight their broadheads are. 

I have been all over the board on bow and arrow combinations.  I am old enough to have been shooting 'overdraws' and extremely reflexed risers with 85#'s draw weights and the early skinny carbon arrows trying too get the last bit of performance out of my setup.  Over time I have come to like extremely shootable bows.  This means deflexed risers, longer axle to axle, and heavier arrows.  The kind of bow the money shooters punch 60 x's with in Vegas.  I hunt in the woods 90% of the time and my shots are almost always under 30 yards.  Range estimation is not a problem for me at those distances and if I do take longer shots I only do so when everything is perfect and I am shooting at an exact known range.  Give me accuracy over raw speed any day.  Speed is only really useful in helping to reduce range estimation errors.  This is a big deal on the prairie, but not as much in the deep wooods where I hunt.  What I like about high kinetic energy setups like mine (570 grain arrow at 280 fps), is that it helps cover some mistakes.  For instance, a few years back I shot a bear that rocked back off the bait just as I squeezed off a shot.  Instead of clanging against the shoulder blade like a lighter setup might, my arrow went whistling through the bone on both shoulder blades of a 250# bear.  The other option is to put the arrow on the numbers every single time, but as you probably know that only happens on the internet.  

LOL, ask this question on a couple other forums and WWIII breaks out.  The heavy arrow guys with their two blade single bevel broadheads battle it out with the light arrow warp speed guys.   Like you, I shoot around a 400 grain arrow out of a bow that shoots 20+ fps slower than yours.  My combo has been deadly for whitetails, but I did bump up my arrow weight to 460 grains when I went elk hunting.  I think your current combo shooting 290 fps is deadly for whitetails and would be adequate for anything in North America quite frankly.  The beauty of a fast bow like yours, though, is you can shoot heavier arrows at great hunting speeds.  Going heavier is never a bad thing with a rig like yours.  I would think that an arrow in the 450 grain range would be absolutely fantastic for everything.

• 2 weeks later...

As is my nature, I haven't had the time to purchase anything new and I don't own anything to test the theory with other than field tips. This may be something that waits for winter. 

Great talk so far. One of the reasons I love this website is the fights rarely break out, only lots of healthy discussion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

only need about 40 KE for whitetails and thats all I hunt with the bow. so my 2215's work dandy and are nice and quiet. used carbons for years but switched back just for fun. When I shot 3D I loved my skinny arrows. :) Light as possible and 1 3/4 inch vanes. FOC about 10 % was nice.  Fat boys for spot shooting. Used to use 2512's with 180 grain tips but the fat boys will last forever. probably not much help for your original ? but good thread.