• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)

I'm heading up this weekend looking for crappies. Thinking either Miltona or Irene. Anyone have any tips on depths they may be in, colors to use? Any tips would be appreciated.

I think it's all going to depend on the conditions that you have when you're on the water. Is it nice enough to drive them up shallow or are they pushed back out sort of thing. I always start searching with a little white tube under a bobber and then may switch to plain hook/minnow if I find them.

10"er from today!

full-27194-8406-230274_10150178552654934

225890_10150178754304934_696349933_69984

and here are a bunch of crappies i have been getting. alot of fish between 12and 14". been getting em for a few weeks now

229268_10150177029034934_696349933_69845

227305_10150170421864934_696349933_69239

225894_10150177031604934_696349933_69845

Nice fish Jake! Didn't we have ice there a few weeks ago though??

Nice fish Jake! Didn't we have ice there a few weeks ago though??

the crappies have been hitting since the ice went off the backwater bay where im catching them. and that was 3 weeks ago yesterday.

Had a good time fishing the Alex area, for the first time, with Chad "Crappie Sniffer" Peterson and his son Al. Thanks guys, I'll be back. full-130-8454-002.jpg

full-130-8455-dscf4061.jpg

It was a great day on the water and meeting you Greg was a real treat. I can not wait until the next time. It is my turn to go north.

full-36104-8460-008.jpg

Sniffer

nice fish as always chad. i tried a new pond yesterday i heard held some monster sunnies. didnt see any of those... but saw plenty of 4+ lb bass! cant wait for bass opener!

Back at you Jake, nice crappies and that gill is a pig! Glad to see open water. Good luck on bass opener.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice walleye Jake. Looks like a nice day to be out dock fishing.

Sniffer

Nice walleye Jake. Looks like a nice day to be out dock fishing.

Sniffer

ya it was beautiful.

i was out there during the big boat accident too, watched it all go down.... scary stuff... very sad outcome...

i was not in the mood to fish at all after seeing it...

Looking at the Echo Press online, two people were fatally injured and 4 others survived. Drove by the Victoria access today and saw the Sheriff's boat going out there as they were trying to pull the boat off of shore. It looked like the boat was northbound on the east side of the west wing by the access. There was damaged docks, lifts, and trees. The boat was up on shore by some trees. It looked pretty scary. I can't imagine witnessing it like Jake did.

Looking at the Echo Press online, two people were fatally injured and 4 others survived. Drove by the Victoria access today and saw the Sheriff's boat going out there as they were trying to pull the boat off of shore. It looked like the boat was northbound on the east side of the west wing by the access. There was damaged docks, lifts, and trees. The boat was up on shore by some trees. It looked pretty scary. I can't imagine witnessing it like Jake did.

one guy dead on the scene. another died at the hospital shortly after. all other survived from what i heard.

• 2 weeks later...

The bucket mouths are quite aggressive on Minnewaska. A buddy of mine and I drove up there today and between 9:30 and noon, we caught and released 2 dozen from 11" - 16 1/2". After lunch we hopped up to Andrew and caught another dozen. Lure choice nor color seemed to make much difference on Minnewaska. I was mainly tossing plastics and my buddy caught most of his on a buzz bait, which failed on Andrew and he had to switch to plastics also. We had a blast. It was fun to finally feel a tug on the other end of the line.

Thanks for the invite Mike:p You probably went right by my house..lol I fish waska a lot and have no boat, but There are places i will wade and cast 4 bass with a flyrod,, FUN TIMES!

got into some dandy walleye action last weekend in Alex just b4 sunset smileIMG_1610.jpg

The morning and evening walleye bites have been pretty good in the Alexandria area. I've been fishing mostly in the 14-18 foot sand/gravel, but look for the new weed growth. The walleye seem to be holding to this newly formed cover. Work these areas very slow. I've been almost at a stand still when most of our fish have bit.

I've been using a Lindy X-Change jig with an 1/8 or 1/4oz jig head and a minnow. I've also been using a Lindy rig and a minnow, crawler or leech. I've been using almost all minnows up to this point, but over the past week the walleye have started to change their preference to crawlers and leeches.

I've been fishing the shallower warmer lakes most of the Spring, but now the deeper lakes are close to 60deg, so look for the deeper lakes to start producing some fish as well. June is the best time of the summer to catch walleye, so if catching a few tasty walleye is on your list, now is the time!

IMG_1103-1.jpg

P1010471-1.jpg

IMG_1067-1.jpg

P1010479-1.jpg

P1010483-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

anyone fishing lake mary this past week as i going there june 25 thru july 2?mostly how the walleye bite is and what baits/lures?

• 1 month later...

Over the past month we've been experiencing one of the best walleye bites I can remember for the Alexandria area. Throughout the last four weeks I've had to move with the fish and adapt my presentations along the way.

A few weeks ago slip bobbers and leeches were producing the most fish. We targeted suspended walleye in the rocks and cabbage on the inside weed edges in 12-15fow. We had our best luck with a 1/32oz green and black Lindy Jig tipped with a leech. Then, as we neared the end of July, the fish started to transition to the deeper outside weed edges in 18-24fow. In this situation the fish are generally closer to the bottom, so I like to use a Lindy rig with a lively leech. During the low light periods, morning and evening, this pattern is still producing the majority of our fish.

We have about a month and half before October is upon us, but don't rule out the Fall patterns which are already starting to produce. Just last weekend the full moon was as bright as ever and the shallow crank bite was in full swing. We had our best success in 5-10fow with a variety of perch pattern Shadlings. I'd like to give a quick congrats to my new little buddy Greg who landed a beast of a walleye on a #7 Yellow Perch Lindy Shadling. To say Greg was a little excited would be an understatement. His shear enthusiasm for the sport reminds me why I'm in this business. It was truly an evening to remember.

The next pattern that will start to develop in the Alexandria area will be the infamous “Fall jig and minnow bite”. Last year this bite started in early September so it's possible this productive pattern is only 2-3 weeks away. With school starting soon for most kids things can get pretty busy, so do your best to slow life down a little and get your kids out to enjoy some family time on the water. With all the great fishing we've had so far it's hard to believe the best is yet to come!

GregsPB.jpg

Gregs PB!

11.jpg

12.jpg

Walleye2.jpg

P1010628-1.jpg

P1010630-1.jpg

21.jpg

4.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Looks like alot of happy customers Joe. The trolling bite is great like you said and the Lindy Shadlings produce fish. Thanks for the report Joe.

Sniffer

I got out this weekend with a couple buddies. Saturday morning we hit Round Lake as it was very convenient and we didn't have much time to fish. In a couple hours we caught about 15-20 largemouth. Nothing big, most were in the 14-16 inch range.

Later in the afternoon we drove up to Chippewa. We were on the water from 2:00 until 5:00 and boated a handfull of walleyes and some decent largemouth. We had steady action, but nothing great in the size category.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit a couple lakes in the Alex area this morning and part of the aft pulling cranks in the shallows and found nothing to my suprise. I thought maybe with the cooler weather the last few days that they went deeper.

We went out to 22-28fow and found our fish. We could not boat a fish pulling cranks so I switched to a slow death rig and a few hours later we had 17 eyes.

The majority of our fish were caught trolling at a speed of 5/10th of a mph.

Sure was a beautiful day on the lake even with a coat on this am.

• The title was changed to 2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unfeatured