• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)

it was a bit tough getting on the ice today.... had to walk through open water, onto the peir, and climb over the edge of the pier

uhoh.jpg

first fish was this little pike

pike5.jpg

the damage... didnt expect to need a pliers....

ouch.jpg

the perch

perch20.jpg

perchh.jpg

both came in at the same time. had to quick unhook one to go catch the other.

both were released

sorry for the horrible quality.... camera must have fogged up, or the brightness did something.

the ice ranged from 3-8" thick where i was fishing

Jake, we've told you time and time again... Stop Lipping Northerns. lol

lol, i would have just cut the line, if i wouldnt have left my tackle box back in the car. lol

i didnt expect to need pliers out perch fishing. especially since i hadnt saw i pike in days, and they just fly in and turn away. never bit.

oh well. its all part of the fishing experience wink

welll.... i tried going back out on geneva the other day. but when i stepped on the ice, it literally sagged down! i may be a diehard fisherman.... but im not stupid... so i went carp fishing!

carp12-1.jpg

be careful out there everyone!

I'm going to be out all week this week on either the open water or out on the ice depending on what the weather does. Just seeing if anyone else is going to be out and wants to meet up... I dont really wanna go by myself this time of year and I have a small John boat to get onto the ice if someone wants to head out! I want to get into some more crappies this week and it should be good! Let me know if anyone wants to get out!

I'm going to be out all week this week on either the open water or out on the ice depending on what the weather does. Just seeing if anyone else is going to be out and wants to meet up... I dont really wanna go by myself this time of year and I have a small John boat to get onto the ice if someone wants to head out! I want to get into some more crappies this week and it should be good! Let me know if anyone wants to get out!

hey drake. mind if i come with?

it would be really nice to do a bit more ice fishing before the ice goes out. i would like for my ice fishing season to end with some nice crappies.

just let me know where to meet and when. and ill get there! (i cant go tomorrow night, or friday. but any other day, im open!)

Roy Good and I had some first of the season open water crappie fishing this afternoon on a back water area west of Alex. Caught 10 to 12 really nice crappies and one mondo carp. Surprisingly no sunfish, bullheads, bass or northerns. A small blue flu-flu and a wax-worm worked the best. The bay is only 2-3 feet deep and in the next few days the bite should get better. Once the clouds rolled in around 3pm the bite got extremely slow.

hey wayne, can you tell me where you were? ive got some family coming up this weekend, and the want some fish to eat. but i have no idea where the crappies are.

my email is [email protected]

(i will not tell anyone where it is)

thanks!

Jake, I sent you an email earlier in the week... not sure if you got it or not! Let me know if you got it!

wayne, i got it thanks!

drake, i didnt get it

anyway... here is the fishing report for today!

and no that is no april fool!

I skipped school today because of my christmas (april fools day) lol

i was fishing with my teachers son, sean fleming.

here was the first part of the day

bass4.jpg

bass5.jpg

crappie2.jpg

crappie3.jpg

then we decided to try a seperate spo

to find it was almost all bass, so we went back, and ended the day strong! 18 crappies up to 12 1/2"

crappie6.jpg

crappie.jpg

found a small vexilar tacklebox, a jointed jitterbug, and a rapala floater in the bullrushes over the course of the day. in the vex box was a few ice jigs, a bunch of plastics, a chubby darter, and a lindy flyer (i believe)

GEDC0058.jpg

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that 95% of all the lakes are free of ice right now except for a few of the big ones! Good luck to all those heading out this weekend should be a great weekend to get into some slabs!

Thanks for the update HH, I assume miltona is still ice covered. How much longer do you think it will be until Miltona goes out?

Thanks

I was at Miltona the last 3 days. Most if not all the ice went out as of today. Saw the first boat on the lake this morning.

Yup, Miltona went off today! That ranger was Nate, he had the itch real bad! We managed to get out this evening and got into some nice crappies not many numbers but nice fish when you caught them. We were in a small bay that ranged from about 3 to 7 feet deep! water temperature was about 44 to 51 depending on what side of the bay you were on. Seemed like mop tops and minnows work best under a bobber. Also keep the bobber moving alittle with twitches to get the crappies to bite. Below is a 13 inchers that I brought to the access to take a picture (forgot the camera in truck) then released to swim another day! Just a hair over 13 inches! The fishing should only get better as the weather warms up! Good luck to all those heading out!

p_00040.jpg

Yup, Miltona went off today! That ranger was Nate, he had the itch real bad! We managed to get out this evening and got into some nice crappies not many numbers but nice fish when you caught them. We were in a small bay that ranged from about 3 to 7 feet deep! water temperature was about 44 to 51 depending on what side of the bay you were on. Seemed like mop tops and minnows work best under a bobber. Also keep the bobber moving alittle with twitches to get the crappies to bite. Below is a 13 inchers that I brought to the access to take a picture (forgot the camera in truck) then released to swim another day! Just a hair over 13 inches! The fishing should only get better as the weather warms up! Good luck to all those heading out!

p_00040.jpg

hey drake! can you take me out to that spot, or tell me where it is? looking for a couple crappies for the wall. and looks like there is a good chance of getting them there!

Gee don't ask much do you carp boy...

Nice Fish HH!!!!

hey now, cant blame a person for wanting to catch pigs like that!

Originally Posted By: S.D. Ice Angular

hey now, cant blame a person for wanting to catch pigs like that!

OK!!!

Good Luck...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be on Ida. Typically a slow opener for walleyes but one can find crappies. Hard to say with the early ice out this year.

wetaline1, NO JOKE!

This year might be an exception for walleye fishing on Osakis where I have a cabin at,

but Osakis walleye bite doesn't go good until Memeorial Day and after.

At Mille Lacs I have been drilling the eye's every opener.

My friend who also has a place on Osakis goes to Mille Lacs too.

Last year opener at Mille Lacs we caught 12 walleyes. I pulled in a 28", two 27", two 24", 21" and two 18".

My buddy caught two 17", 22", 23"!

I know last year with the late ice out fishing on Osakis for walleyes would have been tough!

Been fishing Osakis since 1968 and the lake hasn't changed much as far as when the walleyes bite there! smile

I just figured Mille Lacs is probably one of the busiest lake being that big and close to the cities?

Are those fish back to being healthy? not like a few years ago when a 28" would go 4lbs.

I think with the early ice out a lot of the lakes are going to be really good this year for the opener, and lakes that typically start slow could be going big time.

A lot depends on what happens the next month in regards to the weather and temps, but as it now stands, things are way ahead of schedule by at least two weeks. If the weather stays in the normal range or above, the bigger lakes are going to be prime early in the season.

If temps remain normal or above, walleyes should have their feed bags on big time and be fully recovered from the spawn by opening weekend. I anticipate a great year of fishing throughout the region, and particularly on the bigger lakes.

If the weather cooperates, look for the Alex Chain to be hot by the third to fourth weekend in May, and for lakes like Miltona, Minnewaska and Ottertail to be snappin' come opening weekend to the second weekend of the season.

In the meantime, look for the crappie action to be stellar the next three weeks throughout west-central Minnesota.

• The title was changed to 2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unfeatured