• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Transporting walleyes???

live-2-fish

This is how the transport of fish reads in the 2015 regulations book.

To me it sounds like walleyes from any lake with a slot means the walleyes come home with heads and tails. Not a big deal if you are fishing for a day and going home. But lets say a family of 4 goes to Winni for a weeks vacation do they have to bring their 24 walleyes home whole?

"How do I prepare fish I’ve caught for transport?"

•You must package and transport fish in such a way that they can be readily unwrapped, separated, identified and counted.

•Fish caught on waters with special regulations must have head and

tail intact so the fish can be measured.

•If you are transporting muskellunge,catfish, splake or brook, brown

and rainbow trout, you must transport them with the head and tail

intact so the fish can be measured.

•Bullhead,sunfish and crappie may be filleted without leaving a patch of skin.

•Fillets from all other species must have a 1-inch square patch of skin with scales intact from a portion of the body other than the belly

•Sauger without head and tail intact will be counted as walleye

unless they are packaged by a licensed fish packer

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

have a resort pack and label them I would say.

Sort of confusing since there is a slot statewide for walleye and northern. But that's the way they think, they don't!

A few years back I was given a warning ticket for not having the head and tails on my walleye I was bringing home from Rainy Lake. I only had the 1" patch of skin. I'll bet very few fisherman are aware of this regulation.

There isn't a statewide slot limit. One walleye over 20" in possession isn't a slot limit.

If any of you braniacs think that you can do a better job than the DNR, let's hear your ideas right here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do the transport rules ever expire, e.g. once they reach your home? What if you have a home in another state where you spend the winter? If your fish are cleaned and ready to eat (only frozen ) no tail or head or skin attached, do they have to stay at your MN home?

Question: “ In the 2015 regulations book it says fish from a body of water with size limits you must transport your fish with heads and tails. Does this mean walleyes from any lake with a slot walleyes come home whole?”

DNR Answer: “Yes, the fish would need to be in the whole. You could remove the entails by cutting along the bottom of the fish. But it must be in the whole to be measured if stopped. Please let me know if you have any more questions.”

Cripes, it's getting to the point where you need a lawyer on retainer just to go fishing these days, not to mention anything else....

There isn't a statewide slot limit. One walleye over 20" in possession isn't a slot limit.

If any of you braniacs think that you can do a better job than the DNR, let's hear your ideas right here.

Let's start by letting the DNR create the laws in the first place. I don't think they enjoy enforcing a lot of this crap that is coming out of the Capitol.

It does not state that the fillets must be intact. I know the response from the DNR live-2-fish posted was that the fish must remain in the whole. But maybe there is a way to fillet them and still keep the rest of the fish with the fillets to meet the legal requirements for transporting.

Maybe the cons officer i talked to in the past was wrong, but he said the fish could be filleted, but the skeleton if you will must be intact. Seems to go along with the vagueness of "head and tail intact" it doesn't really say entire fish.