• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Current Burntside Lake conditions are terrible!

I hope anyone planning to fish Burntside Lake tomorrow reads this before leaving, the lake conditions are terrible.

The packed snowmobile trails are turning into slush, and the plowed roads are loaded with up to a foot of water in some places.

My tracked Ranger got around rather easily, but slowed down when hitting some long stretches of slush which are very common.

This should change after the weekend when it warms a bit more.

As of now, snowmobiles and ATV's will have a lot of trouble moving, if they can at all.

As far as pickups, travel at your own risk.

How much longer will the snow stick around? Is the shore ice holding up? I picked a bad year to push my march vacation back 1 week frown Was thinking of replacing my LOTW trip with a trip to burntside.

I would think the ice conditions on Burntside will be much better by late Sunday, or early next week, but stay off the plowed road areas.

There is a lot of water on them, and a hole has appeared in the one from Burntside Lodge to Blueberry island.

Thanks for the updates! And thanks for last weekend, we stopped in your shop Saturday for a bit of advise and you didn't disappoint. It was great to chat out on the lake Saturday and Sunday and we got a 22 and a 25. I wish you would have tried one of our "everts" polish sausages on Saturday. They are a minneapolis hidden jem. Again thanks for the tips and we will see ya in your shop this summer.

Ryan

Glad you got a few trout, and thanks for stopping in!!

See you in the summer. smile

How much longer will the snow stick around? Is the shore ice holding up? I picked a bad year to push my march vacation back 1 week frown Was thinking of replacing my LOTW trip with a trip to burntside.

Lake conditions were much better this afternoon, and travel by ATV and truck should be very good by Monday.

Areas where the snowmobile trail ran, were harder to got through than parts of the lake that had little traffic.

I saw another hole in one of the plowed roads, so it is best to try to avoid them.

The water has drained in certain areas that had quite a bit yesterday.

The rest of the Trout season will be easy travel.

How are conditions? Did all/most of the snow melt? Hoping to drive, but willing to walk smile

Good conditions for ATV's, but do not try the landing at Burntside Lodge, someone broke through with their ATV this morning just a bit off shore.

Use the Van Vac Landing, just watch the ice on plowed roads, they had several air holes a few days ago.

They have been using pickups to drive around lately.

With the cold weather yesterday (8°F in the morning with a high of 25°F), all the wet stuff froze up firm on Burntside. No open water along any shorelines that I could see. I found enough hardpack snow patches to keep the slides on the snowmobile slick. Fishing was pretty good; caught the 26½" on Friday jigging a Ratl'n spoon tipped with a 1" Power Nymph 20' down in 47fow, and caught the 20" six feet off the bottom in 47fow on a 4½" sucker minnow. It was fun watching fish approach the minnow on the Vexilar, but could only get the one to bite.

full-28432-52931-forum26%C2%BDin.jpg

full-28432-52932-forum20in.jpg

Still be possible to go out of the van vac landing on sat after the predicted snow this week be nice to get out after Lakers one more time. Be on an atv no truck for me this time of year.

Shouldn't be a problem if we don't get any surprises from Mother Nature. Lake travel is very good at this time.

Had a poor 3 days up there frown Didn't catch a single fish! Didn't even mark very many! Fished anywhere from 28 to 92 ft...drop offs, points, main lake, channels, etc. We tried every jig/spoon in every color! Kids had a blast though, spending every day climbing rocks, sledding, and looking for bigfoot on waters island smile

Laker fishing is tough. Game wardens report 10% success this year and creel survey guys say 25-30 hours fishing per laker caught.

Lake landing on Burntside at Burntside Lodge and Van Vac are getting iffy, so it's best to use an ATV.

Just talked to Denny at Smitty's on Snowbank, and he said the shoreline on their road is still solid and vehicles can still drive onto the lake.

Only four days left in the trout season.

Checked the landing today as I was up in ely two people fishing that I could see from van vac landing truck out by Brownell island and one person who walked out from landing to the right going to give it a shot myself tomorrow an see if I can find some fish willing to cooperate with me beats work any day that's all that matters

When I was up there last week I thought it was kind've odd that several people were fishing right in front of the van vac landing everyday. The creel guy told me that's a fairly popular community spot. What makes that such a special spot? I would think all the traffic coming and going from the access would spook the fish.

Speaking of the creel guy, we talked to him both saturday and sunday, and he told us he hadn't talked to anyone that had caught a fish eek Told us it had been pretty slow all winter.

That became a "hot spot" several years ago when the ice was terrible and everyone set up the Van Vac Village, that had about 28 houses in that small area.

I wouldn't fish that area if my life depended on it, people setting up within 50 feet of others which is way too close for Trout fishing.