• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Back Up Auger

tisosy11

I normally just use my 9" Pro4 Jiffy. But I am looking for a more reliable back up auger for popping holes. A couple times a year we do the hole hop thing and my current backup strikemaster is a bare to start when it sits for too long. I'd like something lightweight where I can just toss in the back of the truck and it will pop 50 holes no problem if I choose to use it in a month.

I have a lazer pro dating back before the primer bulb era. used to start ok but recent years it took 20 plus pulls. this year it wouldn't start after 100 pulls. I pulled the plug and spritz some gas and replaced the plug. it started on the next pull.

now I do that before going out. it starts on the 2nd pull. still runs and cuts good. probably needs a carb job though.

I normally just use my 9" Pro4 Jiffy. But I am looking for a more reliable back up auger for popping holes. A couple times a year we do the hole hop thing and my current backup strikemaster is a bare to start when it sits for too long. I'd like something lightweight where I can just toss in the back of the truck and it will pop 50 holes no problem if I choose to use it in a month.
You need to put a carb.kit in it with the gas we have now the fuel pump diaphrams in don't last very long.

I took out the foam air filter in my Eskimo years ago and just spray in some starting fluid. It is actually an Earthquake earth auger power head that was free. It usually starts on the first or second pull most of the time now. Not sure if using that much starting fluid is bad for the carb but I have been using this thing for over ten years with only one trip to the small engine repair shop.

Interesting topic. In my opinion, you only need one reliable auger.

I've got a lightly used Jiffy Stealth STX 8" I'm selling if you're interested. Just bought an Ion and no longer need this one. Starts and cuts great.

My reliable auger is a strikemaster strike lite (1st generation) I has a lazer 8" bit under it and starts every time I want it too. Looking g for a back up auger sounds really bad for jiffy pro 4 users.... the only reason I would need a back up is me not wanting to uncrew the cap to fill up the 10oz tank for another 200-300 holes.