• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Reports for the Red River in Fargo/Moorhead

I attend school at NDSU in Fargo and was wondering if anyone had any pointers or could point me in the right direction as to some decent spots for eyes on the river for either open water or hard. I'm from Breckenridge and I know the river in that area fairly well just not up here and I don't always have time to drive over an hour to some of the area lakes. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

during open water you can try the after the dams. 8th ounce jig heads with plastic minnows or live. be prepared to loose a handful of jigs each outing but I can assure you that you will find some eyes.

As far as winter goes its a little more tricky as not a lot of people do it and those that do, do not say a whole lot. This is my first year trying. just be safe, ice conditions change between a few feet.

• 3 weeks later...

The North Dam is good. I fished there a lot in High School. The Minnesota side has a lot of rocks though. I know a couple of people that have pulled a few 28 inchers out of the north dam. The Fargo side has less rocks and hang ups. give that a shot once the river goes down. Also try a couple hundred yards down from the dam.

The MN side of the north dam was redone a couple years ago and I haven't fished it since then. By the looks of it they filled a couple holes that were there that would hold fish. I'm sure it's still a decent spot if you get there before everyone else. I don't like to compete for a spot so I go elsewhere most of the time.

As far as ice fishing about the only place I've spent time on the frozen river is down in the Breck area so no help there. The red going through Fargo kind of scares me so I haven't ever tried.

One thing to remember on the red is that whichever bank you're standing on is the state license you need. I'm not sure if that rule recently changed or was overlooked before but they do now ticket for that.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

A blackpowder clubs owns the land up by where the buffalo flows into the red. It can be a dandy spot in the fall. Not sure if a guy can fish there anymore but might be worth checking into. MN side close to Georgetown.

• The title was changed to Fishing Reports for the Red River in Fargo/Moorhead