• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was up on fish hook over new years and there was about 19" out there. I know potato had 12" over Christmas weekend but not sure about the others. Long and potato are probably the last ones to freeze in the area so I would check first. It's to bad no one wants to give out any info about lakes. Sure seems like it has gone in the opposite direction from what it used to be.

Haven't been on Long, Potato, or Itasca to measure actual thickness. I did see trucks and wheelhouses on Long using the Chippewa loop accesses. I'm leary of the ice on the north end of Long - the middle over deep water is the last to freeze. Someone went through Potato where the west arm meets the main basin about 3 weeks ago. That spot can either heave or pull back causing poor ice and I never drive over it. I wouldn't worry about using the main dnr access on potato to access the main lake. Have never fished Itasca so no advice there. The lack of snow has been causing rapid expansion of the ice so bring an axe or chisel to bust up the ice ridge if you try one of the lesser used lakes.

Fish hook gets hit pretty hard during ice season. I haven't been out there in a couple weeks, but was doing pretty well on walleye. Northerns and bluegills are pretty easy to find too if you want to keep kids busy.