• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Northerns

Huntin&Fishin

Everyone is walleye walleye walleye. Well any one getting after the pike out here? I want to set out some tip ups for pike the next time I'm out. Any tips for Red? Dead bait vs live?

Get a few medium size suckers and set them on your tip up about 1/2 way down the water column.

If your in 12 ft- set the sucker at about 6 or 7 ft.

We've had good luck on bigger pike and a few big eyes this way in the past

6-12 year old girl, snoopy pole and two pound line.

or only spool up your reel with about 12 feet of line and fish 10-13 feet of water.

Otherwise BIG live bait, get away from people.

or only spool up your reel with about 12 feet of line and fish 10-13 feet of water.

To funny I was just thinking that this morning

Tks Shaky.....tis the season I guess.....I've finished re spooling evrything so should be good to go. Talked to John at Beacon last week. He said they were in 8/10' so I put on 16'...never hurts to have a little extra

LOL

All of the northerns I've caught (up to 43") have been while jigging for crappies/eyes. I was up with my son over the couple days after Thanksgiving and landed a 35" on a glow red rattlin flyer. I've put out tipups with medium suckers before with little success (except for eye's).

bturck, shaky and doc, Junior and I are heading up with another dad/son to Beacons the 29th to 31st, anyone else gonna be there then?

xplorer: shaky has built a 2nd home in TX and will spend the winters down there, so i don't think we will be benefiting from mhis reports anymore. not sure if doc is going to be fihing or not. i know he has a cabin up north so don't know if Red continues to be on his trip planner.

I will up for our first trip through Beacon Harbor on 12/26. my youngest son isnbringing his daughter , 6 nyrs old, for a night in the sleeper. she loves to fish but has not yet caught her 1st eye. should be a great trip.

i know i'm going to miss shaky and doc, and poppin into their house for a cocktail and some John cash playing in the background. i learned a lot about the lake from those guys. i just forgot to take to heart how much line you need on your reel.....esppecially when hooked into a big Nort. my wife won't forget, nor will Jonny P.......

do you have a wheelhouse up there or do you rent one from John? I have a season pass and my house is up there, would be nice to meet some of you guys this winter, sounds like a good time! just got home from being up there and the fishing was awesome!

fins,

We are renting from John, and also used to use Kelly/Patsy/Jon in past years as well as renting onshore cabins from Bearpaw and using sleds/portables. I've been fishing Red since 2000, and this is my sons 7th winter at Red (we were up the 2 days after Thanksgiving on the south shore between JR's and Rogers in the portable and just hammered the eyes!).

If you get up there by noon on the 31st look for a black Tundra, I can fill ya in on what was working. I'll probably bring the sled/wheeler and portable along too for some daytime "Xploring" grin

All of the northerns I've caught (up to 43") have been while jigging for crappies/eyes. I was up with my son over the couple days after Thanksgiving and landed a 35" on a glow red rattlin flyer. I've put out tipups with medium suckers before with little success (except for eye's).

bturck, shaky and doc, Junior and I are heading up with another dad/son to Beacons the 29th to 31st, anyone else gonna be there then?

I'll be up there the 28th thru the 30th Xplorer we have the six man for those days. Not sure if my brother inlaw is coming or not so we will either have a black T100 or a silver f150.

If you don't have any luck with a sucker half way down the water column try putting it a foot or two under the ice. Some of those big pike cruise right under the ice looking for walleyes and perch that die after being released and float up under the ice.

I always get the biggest suckers available. Big bait = big fish.