• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Man Down

BuckSutherland

Quote:
A 62-year-old Aitkin man died Wednesday after he went through the ice while driving an all-terrain vehicle.

Crews were called to Gull Lake just after 3:30 p.m.

Darrel Edward Piispanen had been driving an ATV on the lake when it suddenly went into the water, according to Aitkin County sheriff Scott Turner.

Piispanen was located in the lake just after 4 p.m. in about 7 feet of water, Turner says. He was taken to Riverwood Healthcare Center, where he was later pronounced dead.

The lake's ice conditions were varied at the time, from about 6 inches in some parts down to 1 inch in others, Turner says.

The Aitkin County Sheriff's Office was assisted by the Palisade and McGregor fire departments, Mille Lacs Band Police Department, and the McGregor and North Memorial ambulances.

Yep. Seen many out on 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers this weekend. Some even pulling kids in sleds behind them. shocked I get nervous myself on foot given its 7 inches at most right now where I am.