• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice conditions and wheel houses

Jmlsmp

I'm heading up Friday and am just wondering if I will be able to bring out my wheel house (16ft ice castle). From what I have read is there between 8-10in. Any resort owners or outfitters that could way in on the possibilities that I could take it out with a wheeler that would be great. Just want to make sure we pack the right gear.

We were out of Rogers Sat afternoon and didn't see anything but atv's and portables??

I wouldn't even think of taking a 16' ice castle out there yet.

I am hoping to get out with my 12' Yetti on Friday towing it with my wheeler, but that's probably not in the same league as your 16' Castle.

If it isn't too windy and the added water the ice should re-freeze fairly quickly. I wouldn't be shocked to see upwards of 14" by Friday with the cold expected this week. If the snow stays to a minimum hopefully the resorts will allow houses up. I hope to bring my house up, but won't until the resorts give the go ahead. Not interested in being a trail setter!

FYI.... They put a wheel house into the water at Rogers Friday, right close to shore. So I think they are going to wait. Someone else went on the north end on a wheeler. Play it safe and sleep on shore and use portables out there till every thing gets good.

Think Jr's are usually the first. Bet you could even pull it with the one ton by this weekend. Have fun, but keep the window rolled down and an extra set of cloths just in case.

We're also hoping to head up Friday morning with a couple wheel houses for the weekend. Given the overnight sub-zero temps up there, I'm optimistic we'll have 12"+ by today/tomorrow up there. Hoping the resorts are open Thanksgiving evening so I can call.

Rogers updated their FB that they are letting wheelhouses out with ATVs or cars. No trucks yet.

I'm headed up Friday. Not sure what resort we are going out of yet.

Of course I got anxious yesterday and called to reserve a non-refundable motel room planning on taking the wheelers/portables. smile Oh well, there will be a nice long wheel house season at this rate.

We are seeing anywhere from 11 to 13 inches of very good looking ice. My coworker and I took a little drive out to center bar with the samurai's today. A few ridges here and there but seems like the further we got out the smoother the ice. Good luck fishing.

Went out of JR's Fri-Sun with two half tons, two castles and 6 guys. I was astounded to see the number of fishermen/trucks/wheelhouses on the lake. It's scary how easy the catching was and the number of folks up there definitely reflects that.

The folks at JR's were very friendly and the fish fry they cooked up for us at $5 a head on Saturday afternoon was terrific.

The limit we cleaned Sunday morning were all 18-20" fish and were great looking fish. Caught fish on everything from Lindy Darter's to plain hooks. We had the wheelhouses in 9.5 & 10.5 fow and popped hols out to 12.5 on Saturday just for fun. Caught fish at all depths. Our biggest was just over 23".

I can't believe some of the resorts (Westwinds) had their restaurants closed over the long weekend. The amount of revenue they missed out on will probably take 2 months to equal this past weekend.

Might be more important to them to let the employees spend the holiday weekend with family before they get rolling for 3-4 months straight with no time off.

• 2 weeks later...

How did the ice hold up over the weekend with the warm temps? Is everyone still allowing 3/4 tons and tandem axles? Heading up on Thursday. I would think it should freeze up good by then.

Parker,

I was up there this weekend, went out of JRs. We got up there early Saturday morning and left early Sunday morning. The ice got to be a mess with 3-4 inches of water on top, so we left early. We had a solid 16" of ice, probably lost 1-2" with the temperatures. There were a lot of 1 ton trucks pulling big houses. Wish I would have had water proof boots!

J Larson