• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Buddy Heater Question

swmndeerhunter

I pulled out my big buddy heater yesterday and couldn't get it to work with the 20 pound cylinder, but it worked with the 1 pounders. I have the hose with the regulator and quick connect hose. What seems off was when connected to the 20 pounder I could turn the regulator easily, just spins. To me that doesn't seem right, but I can't remember if it did that last year when it was working fine. Anyone know if that's the problem?

My guess is that you probably still had air in the line and didn't bleed it out long enough. If you have the quick connect rv hose I use a screwdriver and push down on the push button inside the quick connect to bleed the air out. This is what I do and am not telling you to do this but it works for me. Don't be smoking a cigarette at the same time. Also hold down the red button on the heater for 60-90 seconds before lighting the pilot light. These are great heaters but you must be patient. Especially with the 12 ft hose. Takes time for the propane to get from the tank to the heater.

I don't have the quick connect but have a filter and when it doesn't work to begin the season I end up having to spend $10 and get a new filter and all is good again

What seems off was when connected to the 20 pounder I could turn the regulator easily, just spins.

Please clarify... the regulator should not have an adjustment that you can turn. are you referring to the hand wheel on top of the valve to turn on and off the flow of propane?

Kind of hard to explain. When connected I can turn the whole regulator and it doesn't unscrew from anything. From what I remeber when booked up it didn't move before. Seems like it isn't sealing up enough where it lets gas out of the tank. Wondering if I'm missing a small part or something. I know it's not that I'm not being patient enough letting gas get through the hose to the heater from pressing the pilot light down.

All right now I get it.

I am going to assume this has an ACME fitting (uses the threads on the outside instead of the threads on the inside of the tank outlet) If this is the case than they do where out. I had this happen last year and did a post on it. You can replace just the nut. It is available at your local home improvement store, hardware store, etc.

I'll see if I can find the post and get you a link.

Try this, hookup to your 20 pounder and open the valve.

Turn the knob on the heater to the pilot position and hold it down, take a lighter and hold it up to the thermocoupler (where the propane comes out). If the lighter flame goes out you have air in the line (you might also hear the air rushing out of the line).

Keep the pilot knob depressed until it lights. Might take a few minutes depending on how long your line is.

That's two threads on the front page of this forum with these heaters. I'm starting to feel like it's my cause in life to prevent anyone from ever buying these turd heaters.

That's two threads on the front page of this forum with these heaters. I'm starting to feel like it's my cause in life to prevent anyone from ever buying these turd heaters.

A bad acme nut makes the heater bad? That's like saying my car is junk because it won't move in the snow with summer tires!

These heaters are one of the best things to come along since vexilars. No more headaches and burned fishhouse canvases from the sunflower heater. My big buddy heater has been nothing but reliable. Proper care, maintenance, and operational knowledge are part of this. Every product may have a lemon once in awhile.

Had this exact same thing happen two years ago. Mine was about eight years old, ended up replacing the hose. Read somewhere the regulater gets dirty no way to clean. $40 every eight years is not a bad price to pay. I use mine in a skid house and burn two hundred pounds a year.

If you use a filter and it seems plugged, I have had luck with shaking it or knocking it against something to get it cleared and get me by until I can get a new one.

All right now I get it.

I am going to assume this has an ACME fitting (uses the threads on the outside instead of the threads on the inside of the tank outlet) If this is the case than they do where out. I had this happen last year and did a post on it. You can replace just the nut. It is available at your local home improvement store, hardware store, etc.

I'll see if I can find the post and get you a link.

Thanks Jeremy, I'll try a new ACME nut seems like that's prolly the issue. Had it a while so it would make sense. First problem I've had with the heater and had it 5-6 years.

My guess is that you probably still had air in the line and didn't bleed it out long enough. ... These are great heaters but you must be patient. Especially with the 12 ft hose. Takes time for the propane to get from the tank to the heater.

Agree on common problem with air in the hose problem especially if haven't been out for a while. For Big Buddies, if I don't want to wait by holding the pilot position down for a long time (can be a real pain) - I just connect the quick connect on one side w/ big tank turned on, then put a 1 pounder tank on the other side. Should light up right away, after 5 minutes or so I pull of the one ponder and it should stay lit if you big tank & hose are working correctly.

If I know it is going to be cold out, I ALWAYS test my heaters before I head out. Always have the sunflower with as a backup because they are pretty bullet proof (but the noise, fumes, danger of burning stuff higher are a drawback).

Thanks Jeremy, I'll try a new ACME nut seems like that's prolly the issue. Had it a while so it would make sense. First problem I've had with the heater and had it 5-6 years.

I have one of the original big buddies. The acme nut is the only problem i have had over the last 10+ years

I had a friend that had one of these. I have used one of these in a rental fish house. I have never encountered one that is reliable or even functional. I cannot fathom why anyone would buy one of these when they are apparently the most discussed dysfunctional piece of equipment on the ice.

The common problem is that they don't light or stay lit. I've seen talk of getting different regulators, using filters, acme nuts, switching the size of the tank you use, or worrying about the temperature of your propane tank.

My fishing time is little and therefore very important to me. I don't want to be fidgeting with the heater to get it re-started during the 20 minute window of crazy at sundown. I just feel it's a disservice to forum participants, that are thinking of getting one, to not speak up when so much dysfunctional feedback has been shared here and other forums.

I am glad to hear that some folks that have these are getting good service out of them, but a lot are not, and it should be mentioned.

I had a friend that had one of these. I have used one of these in a rental fish house. I have never encountered one that is reliable or even functional. I cannot fathom why anyone would buy one of these when they are apparently the most discussed dysfunctional piece of equipment on the ice.

The common problem is that they don't light or stay lit. I've seen talk of getting different regulators, using filters, acme nuts, switching the size of the tank you use, or worrying about the temperature of your propane tank.

My fishing time is little and therefore very important to me. I don't want to be fidgeting with the heater to get it re-started during the 20 minute window of crazy at sundown. I just feel it's a disservice to forum participants, that are thinking of getting one, to not speak up when so much dysfunctional feedback has been shared here and other forums.

I am glad to hear that some folks that have these are getting good service out of them, but a lot are not, and it should be mentioned.

Geez, I hope you don't drive a Chevy, ford, or dodge. That's all they talk about over in that automotive forum. Some real unreliable dysfunctional pieces of equipment if you ask me. I hear some people get some good ones but it sure seems like there are a lot of problems with those cars and trucks......... shocked

I know these have a "oxygen sensor", but it seems like mine is a bit too touchy. It would be on the ice in my fatfish-i with the vents open and it would still shut off. Has anyone else had an issue with this triggering the heater to shut off. is there anything i can do?