• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2015-2017

I agree with the walleye thing, I've ate just about everythign but there is a definite muddy taste to the chain cats.

I agree with the walleye thing, I've ate just about everythign but there is a definite muddy taste to the chain cats.

I disagree. I think the chain cats are delicious.

I disagree. I think the chain cats are delicious.

Its great that you think that, but you are one of the few that do.

Little birch catfish.......

Wonder if the state ever thought of how far reaching their cat experiment would go. You would think the large pike in both Sylvia and Little Birch have kept them in check from exploding their populations. Only a matter of time I bet........

I will chime in that the Chain cats taste like mud.......fishy mud, but mud. We fried up a couple the rest are froze, and then going to be put in the brine to hit the smoker.....I think that is the best to enjoy chain cats wink

And yes, that was a great trip on Saturday. It was my first time catting in 20+ years. And I still had the touch, Dtro would have caught up eventually.........

It's sad the notions people get in their heads about foods and flavors. I find Minnesota folks raised on hot dish, bland foods, and the premonition that Walleye are the greatest fish that swims sad. I suppose when offered something different like Foie Gras, Escargot, Oysters Rockefeller, Sushi, etc. all different textures and flavors you go eeoowwww. Given the choice walleye is way down on the list of good eating fish. Just my 2 cents, tight lines and good fishing.

Especially since a deboned pike tasted 100x better than a walleye.

I will chime in that the Chain cats taste like mud.......fishy mud, but mud.

Well, you can't say little Adam didn't warn you!

Nice Video, DTRO, how recent is that exterior footage? Looks like there was still a lot of glare ice when it was shot.

Are people driving vehicles out there yet or is it still just snowmobiles and ATVs?

Surreal, that was last Saturday. The spot we were at had anywhere from 12" of ice to 4" of ice so we took sleds. I'm sure you could drive out a ways with cars so as not to have to walk as far, but I'm not familiar with the area at all.

Are the major holes and current sections of the river at least froze over?

I'm planning on coming up friday and possibly staying through saturday night; but would like to focus on the river closer to cold springs. Any safety advice would be greatly appreciated.

We fried up some cats from the Chain last winter and we all thought they were pretty good. You can't compare them to Crappie or Walleye, which are the most flavor-less fish there is.

We made sure to cut the blood line out and rinse them good. Then we soaked them overnight in Buttermilk. Finally we dipped them in egg and some kind of cajun mix. Lightly seasoned and they were good.

I also tried someones catfish balls at one of the catfish gatherings a few years ago and thought they were good also.

Nels

FBRM, you need to hook up with the Book of Face dude. Lots of good info on the MN Catfishing group. wink

I’ll shoot you a message. I’m pretty sure our idea of safe might differ than others and I don’t want to broadcast something that might get someone in trouble.

Hey guys. I'm thinking about heading there this afternoon but have never done it. It looks like a blast Im a avid cat fisherman but have never caught one through the ice. If anyone can point me in the right direction and tell me a lil bit on what to use that would be great. Not looking for your hot spots just a lil info to get me started. Thanks guys. Good luck out there!

Water_woods, as far as how to do it check out Dtro's youtube page he has a video on getting started for ice fishing cats. It's a great learning tool.

Whos on the chain right now or tonight. Im on long right now marking fish they chase up about 2 foot then back down

Probably just wallys. Cats do not usually come from the bottom up only. Cats are more random. But it could be perch or rack bass also. Heck even sunnys.

Don

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

caught cats the other day 12 feet of the bottom. funny

Super slow tonight, caught 12. Sleeping on the river tonight; thinking they're going to go nuts tomorrow!

Inbox has room now couldnt figure out why it said i had mail but didnt show. Well spent 9 hours out and only caught 1 and could even eat him. He had some strange stuff in meat and organs. Dont know,if worms or not..

Last Friday spent the day fishing the chain. We couldn't find any cats but we did manage a number of decent crappies. Of course we had to leave early as the choke broke on the auger and when we checked the back of the pickup we lost my Cabela's fish house somewhere between the meth hole and 1/2 way to 94. Someone must have picked it up as we couldn't find it backtracking. If anyone heard of an honest person that found a fishouse last Friday, please let me know. And good luck out there.

Going tomorrow. Any recent reports on the cats? Sounds like finding a different smaller deep hope would be better than the method hole.