• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2015-2017

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Is that the famous METH HOLE?

Hopefully everything works out with ice conditions this year, so we can get that HSO get together happening out there. Was a blast 2 years ago when I met some of the crew; along with catching a good one.

That is a funny picture Darren laugh

I'm hoping it'll be fishable the 23rd. If so, I'll be up there. Seemed like a no brainer given the uber-cold forecast a few days ago -- but now it's not looking so sure. The warmup torward the end of next week might put a crimp in things and drastically slow the ice production. Here's hoping the next week is enough to cover it and get 4-6 inches made.

My last trip over the meth hole about a week ago I noticed that the cats are all schooled up and ready to be caught. The kitties are waiting, we just need the ice to thicken.

Don

Was out wally fishing the last 2 night and had the camera down to see whats going on down there and on the 2nd night I saw quite a few cats. None of them stopped to sniff my minnow or were even interested in my bait(live minnow). Not sure what that means. On a good not the size was larger than I am used to seeing.

Don

For anyone wanting to go hunting for some early ice kitties it is safe(please use caution) to get to the meth hole by the normal ice road path.

I checked ice thicknesses from the winter access on shoe all the way to the meth hole. I found 6" at the winter access. 5-6" from 100 feet from the winter access to the corner on the point. in the 3/4 mile from there to the point just before the meth hole it was 6-7" and at the meth hole area it was a good 7". I drove my 250 trail boss with trailer in tow that whole route and back. I therefore believe it is safe anywhere on the south side of shoe but as always use caution. I drilled about 15 holes and measured.

Don

That’s exactly what I was looking for Don! Thanks so much for your updates they are appreciated. I sent out a bat signal earlier to another trusted local to get the skinny on conditions as well. So now the question is, is there enough snow on ice to keep the slides cool? smile

Thanks again, I will try my best to thin some of those fish out for you this year. Whether that means taking more for myself, or giving them away, or encouraging others to do the same. I will do what I can

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Good to hear Don thanks for the update. Please guys take as many as you can there definately is no shortage of them! I personally along with a few other locals would like to see a few taken out they are really starting to overpopulate and raise havoc to my walleye fishing out there. eek

For anyone wanting to go hunting for some early ice kitties it is safe(please use caution) to get to the meth hole by the normal ice road path.

I checked ice thicknesses from the winter access on shoe all the way to the meth hole. I found 6" at the winter access. 5-6" from 100 feet from the winter access to the corner on the point. in the 3/4 mile from there to the point just before the meth hole it was 6-7" and at the meth hole area it was a good 7". I drove my 250 trail boss with trailer in tow that whole route and back. I therefore believe it is safe anywhere on the south side of shoe but as always use caution. I drilled about 15 holes and measured.

Don

Thanks Don, appreciate the report. I was gonna bring the sleds up just in case, and walk out as a second option. Now I'm really stoked.

I don't know what to do about all the cats in there. I'd gladly keep some, except they taste horrible (to me at least, and my wife). My wife about gagged on it once in a BLIND taste test against a walleye that Darren accidentally caught in the same hole, same night.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well I found a couple places that would love to get donated catfish for the old people. If you can catch em and clean em they will take them.

First time I've been out there before Thanksgiving. Well, first time I've been ice fishing ANYWHERE before Thanksgiving. Was fun. Walked out, since all the snow melted, with my 6 year old and Dtro. Was VERY slow until it got dark, then the sonar lit up like crazy. Between 4:15 and 5:30 or so we only got 2 fish and saw a few other marks that wouldn't bite. Then after dark we iced another 25 or so and had probably 10 or 15 come off on the way up (1/2 way or so), and maybe missed 15 or so other bites. Very solid action. Not record-setting, but solid.

Keep the jigs freshly glowed, it makes a big difference. Nothing big, but a few in the low 20s, and then a bunch of those 15 to 20 inchers and just a couple of those dinky ones in the 13 inch range.

We got most on liver, only 2 on minnows. Speaking of which, I better go get the second liver tub out of the ice house and put it in the freezer. It's a rare occasion where you actually NEED the second tub, but good to have it along every time just in case. smile

Yep, fun night on the ice. It’s a neat feeling being out there with no snow and clear ice. There was about 5-6" with about ½” of water on top of the ice which made it pretty easy to just drag around the transducer looking for fish. grin I got outfished pretty bad by Brian and Adam on glow red (I was using glow green) as soon as I switched they starting hitting mine. Yes it does make a difference.

20141123_162027_zpsg6nolphs.jpg

20141123_180906_zps50ieovva.jpg

20141123_162952_zps52ezdxbg.jpg20141123_171539_zpsfjipmypi.jpg

Can someone tell me where the winter access is? I know it's south of the public from what I reme but without snow and being able to see people's tracks I won't remember.

how far is it out to the meth hole you guys are talking about? id like to try for the cats out there this weekend but have never been on the lake.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Caught and released a 27 incher tonight heck of a fight smile

Caught and released a 27 incher tonight heck of a fight smile

Nice work!

I'd like to get into a big school of those 27 inchers. The bigguns are few and FAR between, for me.

Don- were you at the meth hole? I was in the frabil if that was you, our biggest was just shy of 10lbs. We did pretty good tonight.