• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice fishing is coming

Horseshoe_Don

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Horseshoe_Don

• pushbutton

• aanderud

• Stick in Mud

So if I wanted to head up there this Saturday morning were would I access the lake from and have good ice. Never fished the chain before but have always wanted to get up there....

Nice report, Don. Figured you'd be hammering them already.

So if I wanted to head up there this Saturday morning were would I access the lake from and have good ice. Never fished the chain before but have always wanted to get up there....

Winter access to horseshoe and cedar island lake is on hwy 22, about a mile south of the bridge. Search on here for the map (left side search box should find it for you). EDIT - found it. Do NOT go in on the DNR access that's labelled on the map. It is right on the river and there's current. Do NOT attempt to get on right near that bridge, as there's current under it. I've parked south of the bridge about 200 yards or so and walked on, but beware there are some VERY shallow rocks running straight north of the small island, and ice can be thin right above them (you can see the rocks on satellite view).

full-27018-5323-ileventhorseshoe.jpg

Given Icehawk's report on Cedar, not seeing first hand how Shoe has set up, or being familiar with this system in general.....would probably not venture out yet this weekend.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Well said pushbutton couldn't agree more but to each his own I guess. I cant stress myself enough that this system can be tricky. Yes Horseshoe Don had good ice where he's at but he also is in a protected bay I guarantee its not that good everywhere out there. The whole chain is basically a river system with lakes off of it and current flows all year. I have lived and fished on this system for many years in fact for 40 plus years and know it well but even a guy that knows it well has troubles. Last year I dumped my wheeler through in a area I have drove over for years and numerous times already that year so she does toss you a curve once in a while. eek I know a lot of guys will access off the Hwy 22 bridge to get to the meth hole for the early cat bite. Be carefull when crossing that peninsula by the small island. Most of the winter it has sketchy ice. Well I know I cant and wont stop people from ventureing out there this early so be safe and good luck! Me its going to be another week before I head out there to let things firm up a little more smile

I focus on Ceder Island lake, too many known issue spots on Horseshoe to fish it early ice...In my opinion, Ceder Island holds bigger fish too...

Another lake in this chain that can have somewhat less current (and generally safer ice) is Long. I think the cool cats was held over there once a couple years back. Not sure what the ice conditions are on it today, as I haven't been there, but I'd guess it would be fishable by the weekend.

Long or Browns would probably be my choice as well if "needing" to get out. Have not personally seen it or heard any reports though. There will be plenty of good ice around this weekend, but the key is to knowing beforehand where it is. That usually means living on the lake, having very reliable first hand info, or knowing the past history of the lakes in the area.....and as Icehawk mentioned, that still is no guarantee. The place i was planning on going to this weekend still had open water as of yesterday.....still might hit some bays on it, but will probably just wait another week till we can more safely get out into the deeper water.

aanderud - on your map showing the winter access off 22, have they added more ( no parking } signs in that area? I drove by there the other day and I don't remember that many. Looked to me like parking along the road is not an option. Later on, it is a great place to get on, but way to early to be thinking about that.

For those going out - be carefull.

No idea about the parking. I've never gotten a ticket there but I've never parked directly under a sign either. YMMV

Same amount of signs to my knowledge. They just do not want people parking on the curve. I will look later today to verify.

Don

As of last night shoe was at just over 5" of ice with some slush on top in places and water coming on ice to the depth of 3/8" while fishing. There are drifts on the lake ad high as 6" in places causing weight on the ice. Most area's on the south east side of shoe appear firm with any weak spot near the shorelines. Been driving the small wheeler on the ice for a couple of days now testing things out. Obviously have not tested everywhere so use caution and common sense.

Don

Middle is still wide open. Lower has been capped for a while now. Saw someone out on Lower last night. Don't know about Upper.

Made it out on Cedar Island last night and the ice is very uneven. Not sure what is causing the difference but we had as much as 5" down to just under 3". Be careful. Fishing was pretty slow for first ice also. Handful of crappies and small eyes along with 15 cats. Expected more for first ice.

aanderud - on your map showing the winter access off 22, have they added more ( no parking } signs in that area? I drove by there the other day and I don't remember that many. Looked to me like parking along the road is not an option. Later on, it is a great place to get on, but way to early to be thinking about that.

For those going out - be carefull.

The signs have not changed. You can park on the north side of the winter access or just south of there between mud and shoe.

Don

I checked ice thicknesses from the winter access on shoe all the way to the meth hole. I found 6" at the winter access. 5-6" from 100 feet from the winter access to the corner on the point. in the 3/4 mile from there to the point just before the meth hole it was 6-7" and at the meth hole area it was a good 7". I drove my 250 trail boss with trailer in tow that whole route and back. I therefore believe it is safe anywhere on the south side of shoe but as always use caution. I drilled about 15 holes and measured.

Don

The lake is very sloppy with puddles everywhere. The ice appears to be unaffected at this point but we have not added any since my last report. When the temps drop tonite it will all freeze up and make ice faster now since there will be no snow on top to insulate.

Don

After Horseshoe Don's reports, I was all excited to try a different Richmond area lake and was disappointed to find only 2" or less of ice only 100 yards from shore :-(

Went to Horseshoe as plan B and found a solid 6" everywhere we checked. Fishing was slow with lots of marks but only a few biters.

Can someone tell me where the winter access is? I know it's south of the public from what I reme but without snow and being able to see people's tracks I won't remember.