• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How to make a walking trotting deer stop?

erikwells

Had a buck chasing does yesterday and the shot was further than I'm confident with and was quartering at me. I passed however I wondered what some of you do to get them to stop or maybe you don't stop them. Is there a different method to stop a doe than stopping a buck. It was very cool to see however next time I'm hoping for a better shot and a way to get them to stop if possible. Thanks, Erik

I use a little Baaaaa! quiet first then if that dont stop his a little louder! But be ready to SHOOT!!

If a buck is really after a hot doe, nothing might work... For deer that are walking or trotting through an area, when they get to where I want them to be I bleat at them. Just a quick (and not real loud) "bahh" does the trick for me. Be ready to shoot before you try this, because often they will stop and stare right at you.

I use a little Baaaaa! quiet first then if that dont stop his a little louder! But be ready to SHOOT!!

Ha, we must have been typing at the same time. Wasn't trying to sabotage your answer, but I agree with your method, lol.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I make sure I am ready and Scream Hey!! and that normally get a short stop and bingo it is all over.

A buck chasing a doe has one thing on his mind, but a bleat might work.

I've stopped them from walking by whistleing at them. As stated, be ready to shoot before you whistle.

There are a lot of methods you can try a whistle or a Shout can stop them momentarily or may send them bolting into the next woodlot. Bucks chasing a "hot" doe are not easily stopped or deterred short of being hit by a bullet, arrow or a car. I prefer to use as natural of a sound as I can. A loud baah, grunt from my grunt tube or if time permits a can call bleat. I have even used the clatter of my rattling horns on occasion but only when the deer were out at 70-100 yards. No real foolproof way to be 100% that they will stop. The advantage to using a realistic sound is that there may be other bucks in the area within earshot that may well come to investigate a more natural sound whereas a whistle or shout may tip them off there is a hunter around. I had a doe being run past my stand one year being chased at an all out run by two bucks, grabbed my grunt tube and gave a bleat and a few tending grunts and buck #2 ended up in the freezer. I had another encounter where I bleated and performed a series of tending grunts as a buck chasing a doe ran by and I had a doe come in from another direction which I arrowed and before I could sit and reflect on the shot a buck came by on the same trail and I promptly arrowed him. I attribute both of these successful scenarios to using natural sounding attempts to divert the deers attention rather then using a shout or whistle. I have had the opposite results many more times then I can count where a grunt or bleat did not work and then I resorted to a whistle or loud wheeze as a last resort. The buck I arrowed this year knew something was up when I shifted in the stand to position for my shot and began to walk away from my stand in a quick canter. No time for a grunt tube or can and as he went behind an oak I mouth called trying to imitate a deer blowing a light wheeeeow which caused him to stop behind the cover, allowed me to gauge the yardage and draw and send an arrow his direction when he took the last few steps from behind the cover. Deer are not entirely predictable and sometimes you have to think fast and use whatever means you deem are worth trying. Sometimes it works and you feel like a hero, oftentimes they continue on their way without paying you any mind. Just gotta chalk it up as a memory and enjoy the show.

Tunrevir~

AS said; nothing works every time! grin

I used to whistle at them, but had a few times my lips were so dry or cold I couldn't! I switched to a loud bleeeet with my voice. Worked most of the time.

I just sat down in my office (after that fun commute!) to read these. I saw one deer all weekend! It was a nice eight that came trotting by my ground blind (trees). I saw him 50 yards out, weaving in and out of trees, coming on a string! There was no doubt he would stop for my usual "meeeep" or "baaaaa". He cleared some brush 15 yards to my right, I "meeeped", still going, "baaaaa!", still going, I yelled "hey!". ...I think he's still trotting as of this morning.

If the normal won't stop them I will yell "Hey" as loud as I can. This has gotten lots of laughs threw out the years from people hunting with me. They say they are sitting in the tree when they hear me start yelling and wonder what the heck is going on then they hear the .50 cal bark and start laughing till they almost fall out of the tree. Had to do that the last to years.

I usually whistle or say Hay while bow hunting and it works great, they always stop when I do that so I wait till I have them in a position to shoot and then do what I do. I bleat call will work on a buck chasing a doe and it may not, guess it depends on how fired up the buck is or how hot the doe is.

Just about any noise will do the trick but like stated above, be ready to shoot and they may not stop for long and when you go to lift your rifle or bow, that could be too long if they are looking your way.

If you have a poor shot, you could let the buck just follow the doe as many times they will come by again as the buck will go wherever the doe goes. I have had them run around the woods and around my tree stand many times chasing each other.

If a buck is really after a hot doe, nothing might work... For deer that are walking or trotting through an area, when they get to where I want them to be I bleat at them. Just a quick (and not real loud) "bahh" does the trick for me. Be ready to shoot before you try this, because often they will stop and stare right at you.

I am quoting myself for the first time, which is weird, but I can re-up my belief in "bahh-ing" after getting a buck to stop and stare on Sunday. He came in behind me and to my right (the WORST spot for me to turn and shoot from my stand) and he stopped and nearly stood straight on his back legs to get at a branch and rub the gland near his eye (cool to watch!). He put his head down then and started going pretty hard on his trail and I had MAYBE a 3' window of clear real estate ahead of him before he was gone behind a big knoll. When he hit that I area I let out a pretty loud "BAHH" as he was about 50 yards out and he stopped and stared right at me (still amazing to me after all these years how immediately they can pinpoint you). I touched one off and 25 yards later he crashed out. Nice little 7 pointer!

I have had them stop and look when I let out a bah, but also had a huge buck take off at Mach 12 when I let it out. It would have been a perfect shot if he would have stopped

with a rifle frankly I haven't shot too many bucks that weren't moving. Our shots are normally less than 50 yards. Pick a lane and shoot it as long as it isn't running.