• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a large portable

Might_B_A_Pike

I am looking into getting a large portable, one that can fish 4-5 guys. I have been looking at the clam six-pack and the other brands large pop ups, wanted to know what opinions are out there on them from people that own them. Is thermal worth the extra cost? I am open to new or used.

Thanks

Especially with a Hub house you want to go Thermal...big difference in heat retention and condensation when you get that many guys with coats and stuff laying around or tucked in the netted storage areas IMO. Clam is they way to go!

I bought a Bigfoot 4000XL thermal last year and was very happy with it. I also got the adapter for screwing in the hold downs for my cordless drill. Worth it if you ask me. I spent a couple of days on LOW with it, my wife 2 grown kids and myself. Little crowded with four, but do-able!

I don't think the six pack has a thermal cap option...maybe someone on team blue can chime in...and would for sure go thermal if your going to spend any amount of time in there during the colder days.....condensation being the biggest reason. Agree with ice hole that the 4000 and eskimos's fatfish 90210i version are nice, but to me, and as he alluded, that is a 3 person house if fishing two holes and an assortment of gear. Which leads to the double hubs.Eskimo, Frabil and Clam all make them, but only the latter two have thermal options. Frabil's reviews have not been all that good on its comparable model.....so would give the nod to Clam's 6000 TC XL ABC...whatever the name of the official model is..

the clam six pack has a thermal this year, I think its the 1660 mag thermal. not cheap

Thanks .....so then I guess you would be looking at 75ish more bucks for full thermal skin but 20ish less sq ft. than the 6000. Tough call. Think i would get the exact dimensions on the 6 pack, duct tape the imprint on the garage floor, get 5 chairs out and see if you could work with that sq ft in that circular type set up.

the new full thermal 1660 six pack has a MSRP of $499.99

it is 11.5ft across from each wall. weighs in at 63LBS

94sq ft of fishable area.

the BigfootXL6000 is 8ft wide by 14ft long and only has the thermal cap.

weighs in at 56lbs and MSRP is $469.99

112sq ft of fishable area.

Brad....do you know the hex segment lengths ? Did not know till this thread it is now full thermal and now trying to decide between the two myself.

Isn't the Eskimo FatFish 9416i the largest FULLY insulated shelter? (not just a thermal top)

it is for a 4 sided house but remember it is only a 300 denier thermal fabric and Clam uses 600 denier thermal fabric on theirs. it is still smaller then the Clam Bigfoot XL6000(which for now is thermal cap only).

Brad....do you know the hex segment lengths ? Did not know till this thread it is now full thermal and now trying to decide between the two myself.

Don't know off hand but if you have seen the regular 1660 the new thermal one is the exact same size but just full thermal.

I picked up a used Eskimo 9416 a few weeks ago. The thing will fish 4 very comfortably. The previous owner said he only used 1 sunflower and was plenty warm on the cold days last winter. I'm going to use it for spring/fall camping trips too. I am very happy considering I got it for $200.

I bought the Jason Mitchell 5000 last year and it was great my 3 boys and I. It is fully thermal and I think about the same size as the Clam 1660.

I own the bigfoot XL4000t, and spent several weekends last winter "Camped" out in there with a cot, heater, etc...

Have also fished 6 in there (Crowded DUH!) But made it work.

You WILL get condensation and it will fill up the material with frozen moisture, it'll weight about 20 pounds more and will be very difficult to get back into the case....But that's how it goes with fabric and ice fishing.

Certainly a great shack.

My buddy bought the Frabill Thermal Headquarters 6 man 2 years ago. It retails at $399. I've fished out of it half a dozen times and have been impressed. It fishes 4 very comfortably and even 6 guys is manageable.

We had it in Ely last winter and fished in it till 8:00 PM when it was -17. We had 3 Big Buddy's going but that did the trick. In normal conditions (above 0), 1 Big Buddy works great to peal down to jeans/shirt.

The only knock on the Headquarters IMO is the inside of his is black (not sure if that's still the case). The inside of my Predator (also Frabill) is light gray and makes a world of difference for a bright interior.

Not sure what the Denier is, but you definitely won't regret spending a little extra for full Thermal regardless of maker. Not sure why the Clam is $100 more though?

I have the 1550 mag for sale if anyone is interested. Bought for family last year and they chickened out. Brand new never on ice yet. It weighs bot 37lbs.

Can pm me if interested.