• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

landowner tag clarification

bigbucks

Not sure what others have been told, but wanted to give guys a heads up.

My friend who's a landowner of a place I bow hunt at was told by a DNR Officer, incidentally sr smith's favorite one, that although he could get a landowner permit (valid in his area) & a regular license he could not use both tags. He also went on to say he could use the landowner tag for a buck or a doe.

Both of those are wrong. I knew them not to be true & pointed to the regs saying nothing to that affect. The landowner tag is still antlerless only. My Dad's gotten a landowner tag & used it several years in our zone when it was Hunter's Choice (1 deer) as well as used his regular tag on a deer. I called the DNR Info line & they verified for me that absolutely you can do that.

Oddly enough when my friend went to get his license the local licensing agent told him the same thing, that he could only shoot one. There's a lot of misinformation out there so be aware guys.

You do have to have at least 80 acres & a portion of it being actively farmed. Personally I don't qualify as my acreage is only 50 acres, wish it were 40, but we can't get them in my area this year anyway.

Landowner tag is ONLY antlerless, and does NOT count towards the statewide bag limit. It's also only available in certain areas (not lottery, and not bucks only): 114, 157, 182, 201, 209, 210, 214,215, 218, 219, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 227, 230, 232, 233, 236, 239, 240, 241, 248, 249, 254, 255, 256, 257, 292, 293, 338, 339, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 601

Here's the entire section of the rules:

Quote:
Landowner licenses are valid during any open season; however, the landowner must use the appropriate weapon for that season and adhere to blaze

orange restrictions. This license allows the taking of one antlerless deer per

farm (in hunter choice, managed, and intensive deer areas). A resident owner

or tenant or a non-resident owner who is actively farming at least 80 acres of

agricultural or grazing land in deer areas: 114, 157, 182, 201, 209, 210, 214,

215, 218, 219, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 227, 230, 232, 233, 236, 239, 240, 241,

248, 249, 254, 255, 256, 257, 292, 293, 338, 339, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346,

347, 348, 349, 601 (applies to both A and B seasons) may obtain a free license

from any ELS license agent. A person may receive only one landowner deer

license per year. For land with co-owners or co-tenants, only one co-owner

or co-tenant may receive a landowner deer license per year. The license is

valid only on the land owned or leased for agricultural purposes by the license

holder within the deer area where the qualifying land is located. The license

holder may give the license to a spouse or dependent. A license issued under

this provision does not affect the license-holder’s eligibility to purchase

additional deer licenses or permits. A landowner deer license can be used to

purchase bonus permits in managed or intensive deer areas. Landowners who

obtain this license must allow public deer hunting on their land during the

deer hunting season, except for the first Saturday and Sunday of the season.

Hunters must obtain permission, and it is up to the landowner how much

public hunting is appropriate

Quote:
Landowner Licensee Farms-—Landowner Licensees may take one

antlerless deer in addition to the statewide bag limit for hunter choice, managed, or intensive deer areas.

Landowners who

obtain this license must allow public deer hunting on their land during the

deer hunting season, except for the first Saturday and Sunday of the season.

Hunters must obtain permission, and it is up to the landowner how much

public hunting is appropriate

So....if I applied and got one of these and "allowed" my buddy to hunt here could I, as the landowner, determine that is "enough" "public" hunting?

Also, when I read that it looks to me like you need to be actively farming at least 80 acres....not a portion of 80 acres. Is that accurate?

So....if I applied and got one of these and "allowed" my buddy to hunt here could I, as the landowner, determine that is "enough" "public" hunting?

Correct.

It also includes grazing land, which is essentially everything. While the rules say actively farming 80 acres, I wouldn't be surprised if the system only checks to see if there's 80 acres owned.

Wow....

and Wow....

So I could have a few goats on my place (87 acres) and get a landowner tag. Or I could SAY I have a few goats on my place and get one crazy

The last couple years I looked at the list of land owner tags in our area and of the people that I knew (maybe 10 or so), less than half actually did any sort of farming for income. Some had hobby farms with chickens, goats or something else, and one guy would do a few acres of food plots every year. Too much browsing on his food plots I guess!

Wow....

and Wow....

So I could have a few goats on my place (87 acres) and get a landowner tag. Or I could SAY I have a few goats on my place and get one crazy

more than likely. I've never gotten one, so I don't know the questions that are actually asked. But the rules say yes, you could. Assuming of course, your land is in one of those specific areas, and it's also only valid on that land, and only for an antlerless deer. There's les than 5,000 people that get them, with around 30% harvest rate across the entire state

There is no applying, if you're eligible you just go get it. There are no questions to my knowledge.

Prior to this year you had to go to the court house, now you can get it anywhere that sells licenses. I don't believe, "actively farming" is actually defined anywhere. We've always read it you must own 80 acres to be eligible. My Dad's place truly is primarily farmed, but even so, having horses, goats, food plots, would all be applicable I'm sure. It's splitting hairs, but it's a nice reward for someone owning a significant piece of land to be able to take an additional deer that's eating their crops, not necessarily because they want them to.

It also has that public hunting provision so they have to let some nonrelative hunt, which means a friend most likely & on most places is already occurring, but it may open a little more access for somebody.

By the way smsmith, sorry I couldn't remember your exact handle before & referenced you with sr smith. Probably something to do with Raven's WR, former Carolina Panther now calling himself Steve Smith Sr...

By the way smsmith, sorry I couldn't remember your exact handle before & referenced you with sr smith. Probably something to do with Raven's WR, former Carolina Panther now calling himself Steve Smith Sr...

No worries...I figured maybe you thought I was hispanic (senor) grin