• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

UPOW

Wondering how everyone likes the old model 6061 without the fender. On sale at gander for $50. The new ones have the fender this year for $100. Just not sure not having the fender is too much of a pain especially while wearing gloves.

I was always hesitant due to the price, I also heard these were plagued by the same disc drag issues the Eagle Claw knockoffs had...

Been using them since they came out and my go to reel 99% of the time. I own 3 and no issues. Just picked up the #8 brand version of the 6061.

I bought a 6061 last year and the high end wright and mcgill eagle claw with the aluminum spool for 1/2 the price of the 6061. I liked them both......however, the eagle claw was having trouble with the drag. When it came down to it the 6061 with 13 fishing simply just had better quality control and better quality parts.

I ended up taking the eagle claw back and getting a 2nd 6061. To this day I dont regret it. I will admit that i do sometimes like to pencil grip the rod & reel. Hence where the improvement on the new one is with the fender. Other than that its a great reel. I have zero complaints and am thinking about adding a 3rd one. In fact i even bought a tear drop/st croix rod last year,, and never even tried it since the 6061 setups worked so well. I do need to get out and try the teardrop though. For $50 I'd pick up a 6061.

That's good to hear that the drag issues they had with the 1st year 6061 release have been fixed, I picked one up for $50

I wouldnt know of the problem, bought mine last year and they changed them from the original one.