• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Protecting Exposed Skin on Lab

DaSwede

Without going into a ton of detail, last year my pup (about 1.5 years old) had a run-in with a 4- 5 foot wire fence (he thought he could superman it over. His front half made it...back legs got caught up). Thanks God it wasn't barbwire, but in short it ripped the skin from the crease on the front top of his back legs down about 6 inches or so. Looked like a peeled banana, for lack of a better description. It took from early September to almost February to heal, as the stitches didn't hold (skin was too thin), so it had to heal by sealing itself up.

Anyway, he's good to go now, but the problem I'm having is that the scar tissue is hairless, and he was going through some tall grass/scrub brush the other day, and by the time we were done, that area was red and pretty irritated. He has a belly protector that I could put on him, but it doesn't protect the leg area. Any type of cloth or anything like that won't stay on. Tape would fall off and/or irritate that area more.

What I wondering is if there is a type of "tough skin" spray or something to protect that area more, or other ideas that some of you might have or have seen? He's a great bird dog, and lives to get out and run, but I don't want him hurting every time we go out.

Thanks in advance!

I've envisioning something similar to a rubber bike tire that you could lube up with something and slip it on. Not too tight and not too loose so it falls off. I don't literally mean a bike tire but something that size and material that wouldn't slip off but provide some protection.

Maybe this picture will help as a reference. In the pic he is on his back with his head towards the camera. You can where the wound is and is almost healed. This was taken last December.

full-28328-49897-2013_12_0518.40.30.jpg

Here's what he looked like after they tried to stitch him up. The white tube is a drain.

full-28328-49898-2013_09_2412.17.52.jpg

Here's what it looked like when the stitches didn't hold and he had to let it heal by sealing up naturally. Taken in October.

full-28328-49899-2013_10_0610.32.38.jpg

It did seal up (just like the vet said it would), but now the scar tissue is exposed. The hair didn't grow all the way back to cover it.

Here he is now. Just so you don't think I have a mangled mutt!

full-28328-49900-teegan.jpg

That is a great looking dog! And he's gotta be tough! smile

Don't have a solution to your immediate problem but I suggest before you wrap the dog in any sort of "suit" or insulated protection you keep in mind that some of those protective vests etc. can very easily cause a dog to overheat. I have heard of a spray on sealant type treatment for humans but have no idea whether it would work on a dog or even be recommended.

I think TIME may be your best treatment in this case but boy that was a totally nasty rip. You (and the dog!) have my sympathy. Talk with vet some more. Call U of M and talk with the folks there.

That's the best I can come up with.

I have heard of a spray on sealant type treatment for humans but have no idea whether it would work on a dog or even be recommended.

This would have been my suggestion as well. I know 3M makes a product that is similar to super glue that is used in surgeries instead of staples and stitches. I would assume there is some sort of over the counter product similar to that which could be used to cover the area. Thats a tough spot for sure.

This would have been my suggestion as well. I know 3M makes a product that is similar to super glue that is used in surgeries instead of staples and stitches. I would assume there is some sort of over the counter product similar to that which could be used to cover the area. Thats a tough spot for sure.

I've used some of that stuff. I think they call it "New Skin," and it hurts like heck because it's also a disinfectant. Maybe there's some that will just coat though.

I've used nu skin and it works pretty well on small cuts on my fingers but I've found when you flex the skin it doesn't hold up real well. I assume and active dog would be worse. It also comes in about a 1.5 oz bottle and you may need a pint and a paint brush. Not a bad idea but the are may be too large?

Update: My wife called the vet today, and he recommended an iodine solution (or at least that's what it looks like) that he uses on cattle. It kind of adds a rubber-like seal over the area. He also gave me some bitter apple spray to put around it to keep him from licking the area. I'll see how it goes.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.