• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Son wants to tag along hunting

ThunderLund78

Question for all of you. I have 6-year-old who is begging me to take him into the woods with me deer hunting this year. He already tags along when I go out scouting, check the camera, stand, etc. and it's great father/son bonding time. He's also watched me target shoot several times and is comfortable around shooting.

I'm thrilled at his interest, even though he'll probably get bored fairly fast if we see no deer smile. I vividly recall tagging along with my dad at a young age, but I'm not sure as young as six. I obviously have some reservations, just from a safety standpoint. But the question I have is--is this even legal at this point?

The regs say he can't "hunt" be he obviously wouldn't have a firearm or even be allowed to touch mine (or ammo or anything that would be consider "assisting in hunting"). So can I do this? and if so--should I be doing this? Looking for honest responses from parents who might be or have been in a similar situation. Thanks.

Should also point out that we hunt on my parents private land so if he gets bored, it would not be a big issue to walk him back to Grandma & Grandpa's house.

You absolutely without a doubt should do this. I have been taking my son out since he was 4 and he is now 6. When he was 4, we played games in the stand and I never intended to see a shoot a deer. It was father and son time with a chance to shoot one, but as loud as we were, it wasn't going to happen. Last year was better, he was more into the opportunity to go hunting, but he still wanted to eat lots of snacks and play games. Our sits were normally an hour, maybe an hour and a half, and always in the afternoon when the weather was nice. This year he is all over it and wants to be in the stand as much as I am. It won't happen but I do plan on getting him out a few times between me, and his 2 grandfathers, he should get out as much as he wants.

I brought my six year old out last muzzy season...he did fine but got bored really quick....once the i pod went dead he was done. I intend to bring him again this year and see if he sits a little longer. i saw on a hunting show once, they had a 7 year old take a deer. cant remember the state, but i think the sooner you get them into it and teach good safety and ethics, the better hunters they will become

Absolutely he should go. Just plan accordingly with a ground blind, double stand and distractions. I started with afternoon hunts and have someone on stand by to come get them when they are done. Short hunts during the right weather are a lot of fun.

Same boat at trigger, hunting since 4 and now 6 years old. He can sit for an hour or two. Lots of snacks and something to do is key, they will make noise so just make it fun and remember its about them and not about you actually hunting, if you see or shoot anything its a huge bonus.

I agree take him along but temper your expectations as to how much "hunting" you'll do.

What I think I'd do is go hunt by yourself as usual in the morning. Come back to the house and pick him up and go do a short mid day hunt. When he gets bored take him back to the house and get ready for the evening hunt by yourself again. The reason I saw do a mid day hunt with him is because its usually warmer, there is no walking to or from your stands in the dark, and hopefully there are other people out in the woods making noise which might get the deer moving and not paying as much attention to the noise that you and him will be making.

You might even want to consider setting up a location that will only be hunted when the two of you are together. Keep it closer to the house with an easy walk in and out and make sure its comfortable and safe to get in and out of if its a tree stand. Otherwise a ground blind is a great option.

When you are in the stand don't worry too much about the noise. Its a good time to point out interesting things you see or sounds you hear. Go over the game plan with him and where you expect deer to be coming from and why. Its a good time to teach even if the odds of seeing deer are limited.

Once you see how he does during your short mid day hunts then you can determine when he'll be ready for a full morning or evening hunt with a better chance at deer.

I'm in the same boat. Daughter is 8 and wants to go with. I'm not sure if this will be the year for her though. We hunt WI and it gets chilly with the later season. Also need to figure out a better stand situation. Some of the other kids in our group crowd into a 1 person stand with dad, but I don't think that's for us. She wiggles too much. Might be time for some box stands. Also there is nowhere to go warm up or take a break except the truck. By next year the cabin will be done and maybe the moms can hang out and take in bored chilly kids.

Fantastic advice guys, thanks! And I'm totally with you on the "deer are a bonus." Same with fishing - which he ROCKS at. But if the bite is slow, than we take a cruise around the lake, or he play games on the phone, etc. When he wants to go in, we go in. And that's how it will be with hunting, too. Thanks again.

My daughter isn't old enough to do anything like that yet, so feel free to ignore any of my advice, but....

Is your son familiar with some of the more gruesome parts of the sport? Has he watched you clean fish, and is he OK with seeing the blood and guts?

The reason I ask is because field dressing could be pretty upsetting to a 6-year old. Even if you keep him away from that part of it, a shot deer may fall down, thrash around and make noises in plain sight of your stand. That could be pretty unsettling to someone so young. And if he hasn't seen a gutted deer, or one hanging with its hide off, again, could cause some issues.

Those would be my bigger concerns. Assuming your son could deal with those things, have fun!

Big thing is to keep it fun, if you're going to yell at him non stop for fidgeting and making noise he probably won't enjoy it much.

Getanet- I understand your concern with young minds but to me personally that is when to teach kids where their food comes from and how it is processed. I have been showing my 6 year old my deer since he was 2. Granted he was never there to see me gut or shoot it but I have let him inspect the cavity and the carcass when I am done and it is hanging. He has always watched us clean fish and he doesn't seem to be grossed out at all. The earlier they see it the more accustomed they will be to it. The only thing that I suggest is that you take your kid with when you shoot so they know what the shot will sound like. Took my kid grouse hunting and I scared the bejesus out of him when a bird flushed and I took a shot...the kid did not appreciate that as he did not know it would be that loud!! haha looking back he has only been around me when I shot the bb gun or the 22

I started have my kids join me at 5, 11 and 8 they are with every time and was able to harvest a doe with my bow a few years ago. They were pretty excited!! Nothing better then watching them follow their first blood trail. They were more excited then I was about the deer. I was just happy they were there to share it with me

Without a doubt take him with you as much as possible. My kids are 9-6-4. The 9 year old has been coming with since he was 4. It took a while to see one, but he has been along when I've shot two deer and last year we had two sits where we saw fawns and didn't shoot. I have even taken all three of them in the blind bow hunting. For me, some musts are:

#1- I only take them in a controlled setting on private land right now. I hunt some public too, but I don't trust everyone else, so for now it is just private as it is safe and I know who is where, etc. Next year that will change, but control as many variables as you can.

#2- Set them up as well as you can. One of the stands we sit in a lot is a box blind with windows on my father in laws farm... it isn't in the BEST spot, but it is warm and dry and keeps us out of the wind. It has been great because he can last 3 plus hours and doesn't have to be perfectly quiet, still, etc.. I have shot the two deer from it with him and he has seen others... the biggest thing is to keep them comfortable and they can last. Another spot we sit is in a row of pine and spruce at my grandpa's... we just sit in camping chairs on the ground, but we are out of the wind and in comfy chairs and it overlooks a field area that a lot of deer use... a non traditional approach/spot, but he loves it.

#3-If you see or shoot one great, but never pass up a chance to TEACH them everything you can about safety, hunting, etc. Kids at that age are so impressionable, so do all you can to be safe, talk them through everything you are doing. Why do you hook your gun/bow to that rope and pull it up? Why do you care which way the wind is? Why do we have to be out when it is getting dark? etc... these are all questions kids will ask and so important for them to learn the answers to them from YOU, not some guy you don't know on the internet or you tube etc.(not that all the folks on here don't have good info, but you get what I mean)

#4- Let them have FUN!! If that means blowing the grunt tube or rattling the antlers way too often, so what. You want them to associate it with FUN, so they want to go again. Progress to letting them experiment with things to teach them what tactics are best, etc.. Eventually just blowing the grunt tube isn't fun if they don't see anything, so explaining doing it this way or that gives you a better chance, etc.

This will be my last year going up to camp on public for opening of rifle without my oldest. Next year he can shoot if I am with him and I am hopeful we can get a good spot and he has a chance to be part of camp and get a shot at a deer. It will be a change, but one I am excited for when the time comes. Hope that helps and best of luck and kudos to you for doing the right thing. Taking them with is never easier than going yourself, but the reward is WAY better when you see or shoot one with them with that when you are by yourself.

Again, appreciate all the responses and it's making me more exited about it the more I read smile

Getanet - you make a good point, but yes, he's seen me clean fish (even enjoys the "grossness" like curious kids do) and he's seen and touched deer carcases up-close. He's aware that we do eat their flesh and understands all of that. I think the loud shot would rattle him a little bit but he has seen me shoot before. He can cover his ears and if the deer sees him move and bolts, that's just fine. My luck, this is when the 12pt B&C buck will walk up and then get spooked. But if he even catches a glimpse of something like that, he'll just want more.

Agree that even if it's a clean kill, watching an animal die is tough. in the rare case it happens, it will be a good teachable moment that we don't hunt for the joy of killing, say a little prayer, dress it out and then tell him to grab the rope and start draggin! smile

There is no one size fits all answer to this. A good case can also be made for making the child wait until he's able to contribute to the hunt. There's something to be said for the anticipation that builds up through the years until you are old enough to hunt with the group.

I started mine (10-girl, 6-boy, 6-boy) when they were 3 for duck, deer, pheasant and geese. Pheasant was actually the hardest as they had trouble walking in the tall grass. My daughter watched me shoot a doe when she was 8, one of my sons watched me shoot a buck at 5. No issues and by last year, one of my boys even was pointing out deer to my dad when they stood together. He would squeeze Papa's hand if he saw one and ended up squeezing it 11 times one afternoon hunt! Lots of good advice here. Take him!

I brought my daughter out last week bowhunting with me. She will be 3 in November. I set up a ground blind anticipating that she would want to join me. I put carpet in there and milk crate with a padded seat. This allows her to stand on the milk crate so she can see. I bought some face paint, and let her paint my face. I brought stickers so she could decorate the blind. I got her her own hunting pack filled with a head lamp, binoculars, can call, and of course enough treats to last the whole evening. She had a ball. She made quite a bit of noise, but it really wasn't that much for a 2 year old. We did have a doe come in late, but she smelled the chips, candy, thermacell, or whatever. She blew at us and then took off. My daughter got a kick out of that. She wants to go again soon, and I can't wait to take her. full-40841-49706-photo1.jpg

full-40841-49707-photo2.jpg

full-40841-49708-photo3.jpg

Love those pics blt! I've got a daughter the same age & know she'd love to come out w/ dad. I think her active 4 yr old brother might be ready for the blind as well. We've taken walks, but haven't sat for any amount of time yet. Good strategy w/ the stickers. smile

Absolutley you should take them ! I suggest using a ground blind that way movement wont be so easily detected "better your chances" but yes i agree i think this is extremely important for a parent!

Good luck hunting with your kids and please if you guys harvest anything together please post pics and story in the Extreme Next Gen thread :-)

No doubt, take the kid(s). My area is a three weekend hunt zone so, for quite a few years the last weekend was always "kid weekend". It's all about them. Get in stand during the dark one morning and sleep in a bit later the next. Have them "stalk" with you during daylight, drink hot chocolate and eat halloween candy while sitting and talking about the wilderness. Best thing my group has done in years. When we've gotten deer, that's a bonus as others have said.

image-59.jpg

I think every parent should have a deer stand selfie on their phone!!!

mine has been coming out at least one or two sits a year the last couple. She has only seen a couple deer, and doesn't have the longest attention span yet, but its still fun.

You wont regret it.

Two of my three turned into avid hunters and they came out probably the first time at about 9 or 10. Their Grandpa brought them out for the evening hunt on the second weekend and to this day the picture I have of all three of them in the stand before we headed out to have a cup of coffee with the landowners sits in a place of honor on the book shelf. The two hunters came back for the actual hunt and got to experience the "full meal deal" as I shot a doe as it crossed the field near us.

I had really been using my travel times with them including to setup stands, etc. as a teaching time and the previous week there had been a shooting death of a hunter by a member of his party that ultimately was blamed on alcohol and a very poor decision. We had talked about what had gone wrong in that situation and little did I know how close they were actually listening! After I shot the doe, she ran into the woods and I decided to go in on my own and bring her out. Unfortunately I ended up having to shoot her again and to my chagrin my daughter went and got my cell phone and called her mother because they had decided that another hunter had shot me!! Thank goodness she wasn't home but they left a message. I was back in a few minutes and discovered what had happened and made another call but that didn't take the weight off of the first message left. The error I made on this one was deciding to leave them together in the stand instead of taking them with me. I was attempting to keep them away from the dirty work.

Halloween candy to this day remains one of their favorite parts of deer hunting. Have fun, I can't wait for me to be the grandpa down the road and get to experience it all again.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Again, appreciate all the responses and it's making me more exited about it the more I read smile

Getanet - you make a good point, but yes, he's seen me clean fish (even enjoys the "grossness" like curious kids do) and he's seen and touched deer carcases up-close. He's aware that we do eat their flesh and understands all of that. I think the loud shot would rattle him a little bit but he has seen me shoot before. He can cover his ears and if the deer sees him move and bolts, that's just fine. My luck, this is when the 12pt B&C buck will walk up and then get spooked. But if he even catches a glimpse of something like that, he'll just want more.

Agree that even if it's a clean kill, watching an animal die is tough. in the rare case it happens, it will be a good teachable moment that we don't hunt for the joy of killing, say a little prayer, dress it out and then tell him to grab the rope and start draggin! smile

Don't be afraid to let him wear hearing protection. Some block out noise above a harmful level so you can still whisper and hear things in the woods. Now that I'm older wish I would have used them more.

I have done it, and do it, and I am glad I have. I have 4 kids 6 - 13 the older two hunt now, the other 2 are still to young. Some of my best and most memorable hunts have been with them. Often with the hunts cut short, some mishap, etc. but priceless as they say. I agree with others, set age appropriate expectations. Bring treats and drinks. I try and make it as positive as I can. I point out how we saw game, was nice weather, etc. Something to encourage them and not make it about having to harvest game to be a good trip. At 6 you will probably have to have short sits, miss opportunities, etc. but it will be worth it.

I have done it bowhunting. My kids are 7 and 10. Both want to go at least a couple of times a year and we set up in a big ground blind. I agree with what these wise posters have said, make sure you have lots of snacks and I'll even allow magazines or books, but no electronics. : P Key is to make it an enjoyable experience. It sounds like you have the perfect set up. I like to take my kids hunting in the woods right behind our house if possible so a similar set up to what you mention. This year I'm building an elevated platform on six foot posts to give a little better view be further out of the deer's field of vision. And run a heater in there if needed. I just have to put on the brackets, insert the posts and screw on the cross bracing. Hope to have it done in the next week or two. Have fun and good luck.

My daughter has been coming with me at times since 5 years old now 6. full-24527-49758-20131124_163236.jpg

full-24527-49759-20131124_163937.jpg

We hunt in a heated enclosed stand but she loves going...

Big thing is to keep it fun, if you're going to yell at him non stop for fidgeting and making noise he probably won't enjoy it much.

Made me think of one experience last November where kids were wearing very loud snowpants and parkas in the ground blind. You could hear a pin drop in the woods and there we were - swish, swish, swish - and I'm thinking to myself (not saying anything to the kids or yelling at them to be quiet), I wonder how much youth wool camo costs? My son then starts slurping on his juice box and then says, do you hear something? To which I replied, I don't think I can hear much of anything. lol. Another evening sit near a bean field, we saw no action all night. My son fell asleep and was starting to snore and then my daughter and I hear slow pad, pad, padding through the leaves in the woods behind us. It was last light, everything got quiet and then a mouse popped into the blind and she screamed loud enough to wake the dead. And the look on my son's face when he snapped to was priceless. Was an awesome night all in all!

That's great Jay. Who cares if its a heated enclosed stand. Its just awesome that she wants to go.

It totally depends on the kid. There is no way my kids could have sat in a deer stand for more than 15 minutes when they were that age. I would have loved to have taken them, but they were way to active and much too short of an attention span for it to possibly work. I did have them tag along once or twice pheasant hunting but you are moving all the time there and don't have to worry about being quiet.

They started hunting deer with me at the age of 13 and even then had a hard time sitting for very long. It all works out, you just need to know your kids and what works for them.